<SOLVED> Mint 18.3 not booting after successful installation on Ideapad 100-15IBD

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ninja_Nick

<SOLVED> Mint 18.3 not booting after successful installation on Ideapad 100-15IBD

Post by Ninja_Nick »

Good day all

I've been having a bit of trouble with my instillation of Linux Mint 18.3 64-bit on my 2016 Lenovo Ideapad 100-15IBD.
It has an i5 duel core Intel 5200U 2.20 GHz with 4GB RAM.

I previously had Windows 10 on it but I am attempting to switch over to Linux completely so I erased win10 on installation. (PS. I am a newbie first time Linux user)

I created a bootable USB with Mint 18.3 MATE which ran perfectly. Tested that all the hardware was working, terminal, etc. All seemed good to go. Continued on to the instillation and after it had successfully completed it asked to reboot, as expected.

After the reboot a window appeared saying "ubuntu" and "[ok]".
Thereafter it says "Checking media" and gives another window saying "EFI Network 0 for IPv4 (C8-5B-76-0C-25-0F)".

I am able to access the GNU GRUB 2.02 screen if I hit Esc.
If I insert the USB again I can access a boot menu with the options:
- ubuntu (ST1000LM024 HN-M101MMB) which just goes back to the "ubuntu [ok]" screeen.
- EFI PXE Network which gives the Network 0 error
- EFI USB device which allows me to run Mint from USB again, compatibility mode, OEM or to check the integrity of the media

I have also tried to boot it from a DVD and also tried the Cinnamon Desktop to cover my bases but all have the same effect. And yes I have checked the sha256sum.
I have even tried to install it along side the already installed version but not difference there either. By the looks of it, it is installed, I just cant seem to access it.

Any ideas or thoughts on what the issue is or what I could try next. Thanks in advance! :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
fabien85
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Mint 18.3 not booting after successful installation on Ideapad 100-15IBD

Post by fabien85 »

You dont want to use that EFI network option, that's for booting via a network.
It looks like the firmware doesnt want to boot the linux bootloader (grub).
However you say
I am able to access the GNU GRUB 2.02 screen if I hit Esc.
what is there on that screen exactly ?
If it's the grub menu, it will show an entry to boot Mint.
Is it instead leaving you at a grub> or a grub rescue> command prompt ?
If it's the grub> prompt, have a look here to try to boot Mint from it. Simplest things is to be able to locate the config file /boot/grub/grub.cfg (by using the search&set section to find on which partition it is located). If you can boot linux from here, that's a good start from which we should be able to make a permanent fix.

Otherwise, boot your live USB, open a terminal, issue the two following commands :

Code: Select all

sudo parted --list
sudo efibootmgr -v
and report here the results
Ninja_Nick

Re: Mint 18.3 not booting after successful installation on Ideapad 100-15IBD

Post by Ninja_Nick »

Thanks fabien85

I actually just managed to sort it out! :D I was coming back on to let you all know when I saw your reply.

I did a NOVO button reset to get to the BIOS and configuration boot menu. I just manually changed the setting there and disabled the PXE boot to LAN. Also saw that the secure boot was still enabled so I disabled that since I saw it was a requirement for installations of third party applications (Even though I opted for it to be disabled in the installation).

Then I saved, exited and it booted! Whoohoo!! :D So I'm finally in! Thank you to everyone who was looking into helping me solve this!

Return to “Installation & Boot”