Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
rjayearl
Level 1
Level 1

login password keeps changing (SOLVED)

Post by rjayearl »

Somehow, my hard drive picked up malware that changes my hard drive login password as I type it. I type in 3 digits ok, on the 4th digit 3 digits disappear. When I retype my password it becomes much longer.
When I try to do a reformat of the hard drive and fresh reinstall, this thing changes what I typed in at the screen where I enter
my name, name of the computer, the password I typed in, and user name.
How do I get rid of this thing? I am using Mint 18.3

Thanks
rjayearl

I was able to reformat my hard drive and reinstalled Mint 18.2, I know it is a version older. I had Windows 10 on another hard drive, same computer, it got it too. Malwarebytes Anti Malware fixed it. I hope. My 32 bit computer caught it too and the hard drive is now unbootable. It had Mint XFCE on it. I will need to get another hard drive some where for it. I believe this to be a rootkit infection. I consider this issue now closed.
rjayearl
Last edited by rjayearl on Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Re: login password keeps changing

Post by jimallyn »

Could this be as simple as a keyboard problem? If not, you might try wiping the hard drive with Darik's Boot And Nuke (DBAN):

https://dban.org/

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

acerimusdux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by acerimusdux »

First off, if these problems are happening in a GUI, try using a command line.

It's not clear to me where you are logging into the hard drive from. Is this your boot drive, and you have to log in at boot, before Mint has even loaded? If that's the case, you'll have to set your system to boot from another drive (maybe a USB stick) and work from there.

If you really do have malware of some kind reading and changing keystrokes, then you need to replace that OS. Don't boot or work from the infected OS. Boot from a clean drive and work on backing up and saving your data from there.

Need a little more info here to see where the problem is really occurring, though.

rjayearl
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rjayearl »

This is my boot drive, and I have it set up to require a password to log in before Mint loads.
Before the hard drive became unbootable, I noticed on one website where I am required to log in that an extra password had been added. This malware seems to me that it can add passwords to websites and quite possibly steal them as well.

rejayearl
Last edited by rjayearl on Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rjayearl
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rjayearl »

That part about the extra password added should be extra user id.
Sorry about that.

rjayearl

acerimusdux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by acerimusdux »

You should be able to create another boot disk or usb stick or something using another computer. Then, after booting with that, use gparted to reformat the drive and create new partitions, etc.

I guess the question is whether there is any data on there that you really need to save, first. If it's asking for the password because the disk is encrypted, then data recovery could be tough.

But if you have your data (such as your /home folder) on a seperate partition from the operating system, things are usually a little easier. You can often just replace the OS and leave the data alone.

You should be able to boot from some kind of recovery or installation disk though, and run gparted.

rjayearl
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rjayearl »

jimallyn wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 11:52 pm
Could this be as simple as a keyboard problem? If not, you might try wiping the hard drive with Darik's Boot And Nuke (DBAN):

https://dban.org/
I do not have a problem with the keyboard. It types emails and letters just fine. I got Darik's Boot and Nuke, but have not used it yet.

Thanks
Rjayearl

pbear
Level 14
Level 14

Post by pbear »

Just to confirm, you downloaded the Mint ISO from the official website, right? Triple check the URL. If you have been spoofed, the bad guys would have used one which looks similar. Also, did you run the checksum and verify the gpg signature? That's how you make certain you have a legitimate ISO.

mintyfresh2
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mintyfresh2 »

Hi, this may not be a valid concern for your situation,
But if someone wants to mess with your personal info,
wouldn't it be advantageous to get you concerned with
something else to focus upon, cause you're not going to check
your bank balance just cause you have a 'puter glitch....
meanwhile they get away with a robbery....

But I just read an article, on ZDNET.com,

https://www.zdnet.com/article/fbi-to-al ... 0773193767

where people's routers were being infected, and the FBI Federal Bureau of Investigation,
is recommending the reboot of routers to ward off a Russian bad guy hacking attempt.

Anyway it wouldn't hurt...

just a thought... forewarned is forearmed.
Mintyfresh2
aka Charlie
LM 20 Ulyana / MATE, and happy... :-)

rjayearl
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rjayearl »

pbear wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 6:02 pm
Just to confirm, you downloaded the Mint ISO from the official website, right? Triple check the URL. If you have been spoofed, the bad guys would have used one which looks similar. Also, did you run the checksum and verify the gpg signature? That's how you make certain you have a legitimate ISO.
Technically I download all my Mint downloads from the Madison University mirror. I have been using Linux Mint for nearly three years now. I ran the checksum after downloading. I have Windows 10 installed on a separate hard drive on the same computer which is 64 bit. Somehow it caught it too. Also have a 32 bit computer as well running Linux Mint 18.2, the hard drive on it is now non bootable.
The 64 bit computer has been fixed, as far as I know. I will need to get another hard drive for the 32 bit computer some where.
According to research I have done, I believe this is a rootkit infection. As far as I know, this issue is closed.

Thank you
rjayearl

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

rjayearl wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 8:56 pm
According to research I have done, I believe this is a rootkit infection. As far as I know, this issue is closed.
Then please mark it as such. And if you want to contribute to the community, please tell us anything you know as to how that happened. Thanks.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Installation & Boot”