Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
nocom
Level 1
Level 1

changing Nvidia card causes trouble

Post by nocom » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:43 am

I have changed my video card from nvidia 1060 to 1080Ti. Since then the last I get to see is the Grub menu. Choosing Linux Mint returns a black screen. But I see some disk activity so I guessed it is not so much of a crash as a wrong driver or so. Ctrl-alt-del reboots the system so I guess my assumption is right. I changed back to the 1060 but the problem persisted. I have a dual boot setup and windows-10 works flawless.

I tried the suggestions of Xenopeek at the beginning of the section but this did not help: nomodeset, nomodeset xforcevesa, nvidia.modeset=0 all did not give me a visible desktop. linux mint 18.3, nvidia driver, I thought I had 382 or 384 installed, not sure.

Anybody any suggestions?

Mattyboy
Level 6
Level 6

Re: changing Nvidia card causes trouble

Post by Mattyboy » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:36 am

Can you drop to the shell? Ctrl Alt f4 ( f7 to get out ).

Try purging the NIVIDA driver then re-boot, nomodeset then re-install 384 once back at the desktop.

Windows is good at finding Kernel drivers after hardware changes. I recently just booted an old laptop drive in my desktop with W10 on it without issue.

richyrich
Level 18
Level 18

Post by richyrich » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:38 am

Or, you may want to try this, at the the grub screen, choose the Repair mode (command prompt), and run sudo nvidia-xconfig .

nocom
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nocom » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:15 am

Thanks for your replies! Sorry it took so long to reply, but to try everything out took really a long time and many reboots.

@richyrich
I found the repair option. There is no command option but a login as root option. I took that one and tried to run nvidia-xconfig. However, I get the message that xorg-server.pc wasn't found. I should add the directory containing this file to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH variable. I tried to find xorg-server.pc but it wasn't found. nvidia-xconfig -v does run however and I was able to find out the driver version: 384.130.
This repair option behaves really weird, it exits whatever you are doing within a minute. Is that normal behaviour?

@mattyboy,
I am not sure what you mean. As I have a black screen I cannot call a terminal. I tried what you said, blindly logging in and ctrl-alt-f4, but I got no screen. I tried the root option mentioned by @richyrich, but using apt-get purge nvidia runs into all kind of lock problems and nothing happens.

I might have done the wrong things because you both mention things that I didn't find: there is no command option in the repair screen (but there is the root option) and maybe I should use the ctrl-alt-f4 in some other screen?

Mattyboy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Mattyboy » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:28 am

nocom wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:15 am

I am not sure what you mean. As I have a black screen I cannot call a terminal. I tried what you said, blindly logging in and ctrl-alt-f4, but I got no screen. I tried the root option mentioned by @richyrich, but using apt-get purge nvidia runs into all kind of lock problems and nothing happens.

Its

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get purge nvidia*
Try it when you're logged in as root ( don't need the sudo as root )

nocom
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nocom » Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:31 am

Thank you for this addition. It did not solve the read-only aspect of the recovery file system but I found that out. What I did is this:
1. boot into recovery mode
2. choose option 'root' login as root, enter root password
3. mount -o rw,remount / # remounts the file system as rw
4. apt-get purge nvidia* # answer Y
5. apt-get autoremove
6. reboot
7. choose the normal linux option, enter 'e'
8. goto the line starting with linux, add nomodeset xforcevesa
9. Press F10

and admire the black screen. I tried nodemodeset as well to no avail. Three days on Win10 only, I really have withdrawal symptoms :-). I hope there are still options left apart from reinstalling.

Mattyboy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Mattyboy » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:14 am

nocom wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:31 am
Thank you for this addition. It did not solve the read-only aspect of the recovery file system but I found that out. What I did is this:
4. apt-get purge nvidia* # answer Y
5. apt-get autoremove
6. reboot
7. choose the normal linux option, enter 'e'
9. Press F10

and admire the black screen. I tried nodemodeset as well to no avail. Three days on Win10 only, I really have withdrawal symptoms :-). I hope there are still options left apart from reinstalling.
Did you add nomodeset after the quiet splash part.... I stupidly put it before the other day and it didn't work ( idiot ).... leave the xforcevesa part out.

You could also try editing the actual Grub file.. login to recovery..

sudo nano /etc/default/grub
Change the line

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
adding nomodeset... make sure you write out the changes, Re-boot

Past that I'm at a loss ( not to say others might be able to help )... maybe a 'suck it up' re-install might be the best bet, sorry :) .... You could install the Mint 19 beta, seems stable, swings and roundabouts ;)

slipstick
Level 5
Level 5

Post by slipstick » Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:12 pm

Mattyboy wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:14 am
Did you add nomodeset after the quiet splash part.... I stupidly put it before the other day and it didn't work ( idiot ).... leave the xforcevesa part out.

You could also try editing the actual Grub file.. login to recovery..

sudo nano /etc/default/grub
Change the line

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
adding nomodeset... make sure you write out the changes, Re-boot
After editing /etc/default/grub you need to rebuild /boot/grub/grub.cfg by running this command:

sudo update-grub
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they ain't.

nocom
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nocom » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:40 am

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't have quiet splash. I take it this is the result of an action of mine to remove any boot screen, I wanted to see the progress of the boot in order to see what's going on.

There is a line starting with: "linux /boot/vmlinuz..." and I have to add nomodeset at the end of the line (space included). I check this because I have no time to edit the grub file: after some 30 seconds or so the root command is terminated, control is returned to the recovery screen and the system is booting and thus resulting in the black screen. I am just not fast enough :-(.

Mattyboy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Mattyboy » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:17 am

slipstick wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:12 pm

After editing /etc/default/grub you need to rebuild /boot/grub/grub.cfg by running this command:

sudo update-grub
Whoops.. missed that bit... my bad.

nocom
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nocom » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:20 am

This is what I did:
4. apt-get purge nvidia* # answer Y, nvidia drivers successfully removed
5. apt-get autoremove
6. reboot
7. from the boot menu, choose the normal linux option, enter 'e'
9. Press F10

I don't see where I can compile grub.

The other option is to get a root command shell via recovery. But as I said before, that doesn't work because the root command shell terminates within 30 seconds. I have no time to edit and compile grub. If someone can tell me how I can prevent terminating the root shell within 30 seconds I'd be glad.

nocom
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nocom » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:33 am

It works in ubuntu 18.04 mate. So I switched systems.

Return to “Installation & Boot”