[SOLVED] How would you remove Linux Mint then reinstall it again, while dual booting?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Mint+Cola
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] How would you remove Linux Mint then reinstall it again, while dual booting?

Post by Mint+Cola » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:08 am

I found this site https://lifehacker.com/how-to-uninstall ... -508710422 and I'm having problems in Step 2 because I wouldn't remember which partition has Windows 10 or Linux Mint 18.3. Also in Step 5, I'd need a Windows recovery disc or recovery USB drive? Where do I get that?

The tutorial seems to be outdated (5/20/13) and maybe any one has an updated version or will this still work?
Last edited by Mint+Cola on Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Still a Newbie
Nothing to see here, onto the next signature.

acerimusdux
Level 4
Level 4

Re: How would you remove Linux Mint then reinstall it again, while dual booting?

Post by acerimusdux » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:57 pm

Well if you are reinstalling anyway, you can skip steps 4-8 there. You can do everything you need from the installation disk (or usb).

As for partioning, most partitioning utilities will also allow you to give the partition a "label". I find this makes it easier to remember what is where, if I label them. Also, it's likely your linux partitions are using the ext4 filesystem, if you used defaults. I can usually remember what is what from the filesystem types.

If you have any doubt though, check from within linux what it is using. From a terminal command line, df will show any currently mounted devices. And lsblk -f will show all block devices with filesystems, and the ones currently mounted will show a mount point.

Kilz
Level 4
Level 4

Re: How would you remove Linux Mint then reinstall it again, while dual booting?

Post by Kilz » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:47 pm

Mint+Cola wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:08 am
Also in Step 5, I'd need a Windows recovery disc or recovery USB drive? Where do I get that?
Long ago computer manufacturers gave you reinstall/recovery disks. Those days are long gone. Now most of them create a partition with the images and tell people in the manual to create them as a first step with a program they install on the computer. I would read the documentation for the computer on how to create those disks before doing anything else. While rare sometimes mistakes happen (especially in beta software like the new Mint 19) and the drive ends up being wiped. Better to be safe than sorry and make the disks first. Save them in a safe place for future use.
I trust Microsoft about as far as I could comfortably spit a dead rat
Ubuntu is my past, it is no longer the place it once was, on its forums you are no longer free to voice your opinion.
64bit Linux Powered

Mint+Cola
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED] How would you remove Linux Mint then reinstall it again, while dual booting?

Post by Mint+Cola » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:04 am

Thanks!
Still a Newbie
Nothing to see here, onto the next signature.

Return to “Installation & Boot”