too little room in 'Boot'

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
harold smith
Level 1
Level 1

too little room in 'Boot'

Post by harold smith »

When I recently rebooted after running the update program I got a message telling me I only had 22M left in "Boot'. I assume this is a problem or I wouldn't have gotten the message. But I have no idea what to do about it. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Re: too little room in 'Boot'

Post by thx-1138 »

DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

You probably have too many kernels still in the boot partition after so many different updates that have included new kernels within your kernel series...just open the update manager, click "view" then click "linux kernels"...you will probably see many kernels marked as "installed"...what you need to do is starting with the earliest no longer "active" but just "installed kernel" to click where it says "remove" and then enter your password when prompted to do so and remove...repeat the process until you have only the "active" kernel" and the one just before that as a backup kernel in case you ever need to revert to it...then reboot your computer just to be sure its all out of there...once rebooted, copy and paste this command into your terminal and enter your password when prompted in order to clean out any old kernel residue that may still be there...

dpkg -l | grep '^rc' | awk '{print $2}' | xargs sudo apt-get purge

after that you can copy and paste this command in the terminal/command prompt to make sure just the 2 kernels are left in the boot section

dpkg --get-selections | grep linux-headers && dpkg --get-selections | grep linux-image

the end results should look something like this...

damien@damien ~ $ dpkg --get-selections | grep linux-headers && dpkg --get-selections | grep linux-image
linux-headers-4.4.0-124 install
linux-headers-4.4.0-124-generic install
linux-headers-4.4.0-127 install
linux-headers-4.4.0-127-generic install
linux-image-4.4.0-124-generic install
linux-image-4.4.0-127-generic install
linux-image-extra-4.4.0-124-generic install
linux-image-extra-4.4.0-127-generic install
damien@damien ~ $

that should do it...let us all know how you make out...DAMIEN
rado84

Post by rado84 »

smgordon1259 wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:42 pm boot partition too small.? How big is your /boot partition? I am not sure what the install gives you.

I do my own partitions, usually I give 3gb to /boot, 50gb to /root, 8gb for /swap, and the remainder to /home, on a Seagate 500gb sshd drive.
Sorry for the stupid question but why would you make a 3GB boot partition? :shock: If I'm not mistaken, that's the place where the grub goes?
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

rado84 wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:33 pm Sorry for the stupid question but why would you make a 3GB boot partition? :shock: If I'm not mistaken, that's the place where the grub goes?
And the kernels, don't they? Run:ls /boot
rado84

Post by rado84 »

smgordon1259 wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:54 pm I hope this answers the stupid question for you.
Yes, it does. But before I read your answer I didn't know it was where kernels go. Given that grub is just a few megabytes, it puzzled me why would anyone make a few gigabyte partition for something that takes 10-15 megabytes.
My grub is installed on the same partition where Linux is - for cloning purposes: that way I can move the Linux installation wherever I want and never having to update the grub after moving it. Since that partition is also the entire SSD (120 GB), I guess I'll never have to worry about "not enough space in /boot". Not to mention I chose to stick with the integrated kernel - the one the OS came with. I kept having alerts about kernel update (4.13 or something) but it was marked in orange and for that color there was a description stating it could case system instability, so I chose to stick with what the OS already has. At least until I learn more about kernels.

Return to “Installation & Boot”