[SOLVED] Linux install on a eeePC 1Ghz/1GbRAM

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Chriske
Level 4
Level 4

[SOLVED] Linux install on a eeePC 1Ghz/1GbRAM

Post by Chriske »

Hi,

As I said before in another thread all my PC's and laptops have Linux Mint running now...except for one I found yesterday on a shelve .
It's a very old eeePC, normally runs XP. When I saw that thing, I thought ...well why not...? :mrgreen: grin...
So here's my question. : Could it run Mint...???
These tiny little things are made by ASUS and mine has only 1Gb ram on board.

What about it guys..? Could it...?
Thanks in advance(again...)
Chris

BTW : this means I'm almost WiFree now, not to be mistaken with WiFi of course... :lol:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: eeePC

Post by Pierre »

if it's about a 1,5Gb CPU & that 1Gb of ram,
then it's surely worth a shot - - LinuxMint xfce or even MX17 would be worth trying out. ..
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
punkbiscuit
Level 3
Level 3

Post by punkbiscuit »

I have one of those eee PC things here.
I tried LM, but to be honest I found the eee PC a bit underpowered for the job.
The 32 bit version of AntiX Linux worked the best (in my opinion).

I had to try several options to get it to install properly, but no real problem,even for a novice.

However, each install only takes about 10 minutes, so it's easy to start again if there
are any problems.
raspu
Level 3
Level 3

Post by raspu »

I have an Asus eeepc 1000HD with 2 GB of RAM, and I run Linux Mint XFCE 18.3 32 bit on this computer. I have also used other distros on this netbook (Xubuntu, AntiX, MX Linux). Any of them will run adequately on it. If you can, a memory upgrade to 2 GB will help it run web browsers like Firefox more comfortably.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

I was recently given a box of old computer stuff which included two EeePCs, one with 2 GB storage and the other with 4 GB storage. Both have 512 MB of RAM. I will probably try LegacyOS a Puppy version), antiX, maybe Leeenux (they want 9 bucks to download it), and beyond that am open to suggestions.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

My test computer is an old eeepc originally with Win XP...though it was made for xp 32 bit, (1.6 ghz intel cpu and 1 gig ram) it easily runs peppermint 8 on its newest respin (respin 2) 64 bit...seems to be that the intel atom installed in it is capable of running 64 bit system...it works flawless with P8 probably because P8 does not include a lot of bloated things you will probably never run in such an old underpowered system...if your going to use it just for fun, testing, etc. and just looking up news, e-mails etc., it should be just fine...DAMIEN
Chriske
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Chriske »

Meanwhile I've tried two OSes (Linux MX17.1 and also Linux lxle. Both need more resources than that little thing has on board.
MX17.1 has Firefox on board but crashes when opening a YouTube movie.
Linux lxle has SeaMonkey instead of the usual Firefox and also crashes when starting a YouTube movie. But this one was able to open Office draw and few other small tools simultaneously, it was workable. Still not at pace I'd like it do. To be clear I'm not expect it to run as a speeding bullet. But I'd like to find an OS for that little thing able to run YouTube movies. As a matter of fact XP can.
I suppose the smallest Mint versions will not do the job either...?
Again that little poor thing's speed 1Ghz + only 1Gb RAM on board.

Maybe it is doomed to spend the rest of his life with XP on it's back...? :(
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

You can install a light OS and a light browser but the web itself is heavy these days. :?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Chriske
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Chriske »

Any suggestions....?
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Maybe MX with a different browser? Not that I'd know which one.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Chriske wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:00 am Any suggestions....?
probably anti-X with Palemoon - - may even come with that, actually.
8)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Chriske
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Chriske »

Tried AntiX and so far this was the best, still not to fast when browsing the net.
But overall speed it was about the same as XP.
Anyway I'd wanted to dump Win from that laptop and I think AntiX is for this little guy the best option.
Maybe after all that gathering dust on that shelve I could find a little job for it. Maybe as server for a 3D printer.
Thanks for all the tips guys..
whm1974
Level 4
Level 4

Re: [SOLVED] Linux install on a eeePC 1Ghz/1GbRAM

Post by whm1974 »

Other then "just to see if I can run Linux on this thing and find a use for it", I really don't see the point of trying to do something with old hardware with such low end specs.

However to each their own.
Chriske
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Chriske »

I'm in a learning curve right now, never use Linux before. the only way to learn it is to test how far I can go with these OSes ...BOTH ways.
Did the same thing with Win-OSes in my younger days. In the end I tuned them all, speeding up laptops and PC's for myself and friends. Later on it became my job.
I'm not pretending to arrive at the same level as I did in my Windows days, but again I'm learning and at the same time I'm having lots of fun... :D

And what's more, people do develop these 'small' OS'es for other people like me. They put lots of work and energy in it. I admire these guys a lot..!
If you say : I really don't see the point of trying to do something with old hardware with such low end specs, well, It's a slap in their faces if you ask me. Latest update of these OS'es was end 2017..! I respectfully say 'thank you..!' to these guys..
Chriske
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Chriske »

And I just found someone willing to use this little thing as a 3D-printserver. The only software it'll use is Pronterface. The only problem could be finding the correct version.
So you see, in the end it turned out to be useful after all... :P
https://sites.google.com/site/jfpayeur/ ... buntu-1604
whm1974
Level 4
Level 4

Post by whm1974 »

Chriske wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:59 pm And what's more, people do develop these 'small' OS'es for other people like me. They put lots of work and energy in it. I admire these guys a lot..!
If you say : I really don't see the point of trying to do something with old hardware with such low end specs, well, It's a slap in their faces if you ask me. Latest update of these OS'es was end 2017..! I respectfully say 'thank you..!' to these guys..
I hardly meant that to be a slap in those people's faces. But you can get much better hardware at very low prices by buying refurbished systems. At some point older low spec hardware should retired.

Return to “Installation & Boot”