Question on dual boot hard drive partitioning

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Question on dual boot hard drive partitioning

Post by wpshooter »

If I want to setup a system which I will currently install Mint 18.3 and reserve some hard drive
space for the future installation of Mint 19 on that same drive, when I get to point of adding the
Mint 19 to the hard drive, will I need to setup a separate /home partition for the Mint 19 installation
or can the Mint 19 installation SHARE the /home partition that was previously setup for use with Mint 18.3,
i.e. can the 18.3 and 19 utilize the same /home partition or do the each need their own separate /home
partition ?

The reason I pose this question is because I have someone who wants Mint on their new computer and
they want it in the next few days and, of course, Mint 19 won't be available until about the end of June.

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
rado84

Re: Question on dual boot hard drive partitioning

Post by rado84 »

19 is available to download altough it's still beta. So they better stick with 18.3 for now and when 19 comes officially, you can simply upgrade their 18.3 to 19. Idk whether they can share the same home and even if they can, I have my doubts about the outcome. :roll: So I sugges you make 2 partitions - 1 for 18.3 and 1 for 19. Whichever your someone likes better after the release of 19, you can always delete the other. ;)

Return to “Installation & Boot”