BIOS/UEFI Date/UTC time setting

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
andru126

BIOS/UEFI Date/UTC time setting

Post by andru126 »

Hey guys, I have found lots of usefull info on this site but just need advice to clarify please

Is it an issue if my bios/UEFI time sets itself 10 hours behind my local time? When i change it reverts back.
I run Linux mint 18.3 Cinnamon only on an Older Toshiba Laptop orginaly Win8 EFI installed now i just run linux.
I've had this issue with my older PC i assumed it was my cmos faulty.

Should i be changing this setting? with "timedatectl set-local-rtc 1 --adjust-system-clock" ? or if its safe leave the time as is.

My laptop never had this issue and i assume when reinstalling Linux Mint Ive set it up diffrently for this to happen.
My software packeges also show they are half installed and few other issues but im new so that may be normal.

Any help or clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys :-) Post have been very helpfull so far.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: BIOS/UEFI Date/UTC time setting

Post by xenopeek »

If you only have Linux Mint installed, the command timedatectl should show RTC in local TZ: no in its output. This means Linux Mint will set the clock in your computer to UTC time and will add/subtract your current timezone to/from that time to correctly present your time. Your BIOS/UEFI may to not know your timezone, or you may not have set it, and thus may show you UTC time perhaps (or just time from another timezone based on the UTC time in the system clock). You can see UTC time here https://time.is/UTC. Is it 10 hours behind your local time?
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

andru126 wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:04 am My software packeges also show they are half installed and few other issues but im new so that may be normal.
Hi andru126,
Would you want to create another thread for this particular issue to get proper attention?
If you do, please post any error messages you get when you try to update your system for forum members to have something to work on.

Cheers
andru126

Post by andru126 »

Thanks and Sorry for the late reply,

RTC in local TZ: no is shown in timedatectl cmd and UTC is also correct.

So if my bios clock is not correct does that effect the scurity of the system.
I ask becuase my older PC has a faulty Cmos and doesn't save any bios settings when booted

I stopped using it incase it was not secure running on the wrong bios time and default settings?
Would this be an issue if i used the motherboard.

Very helpful,

Thank you

PS Will do Marziano thx
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

If the BIOS forgets settings after powering down the computer, you should replace the CMOS battery on the motherboard. It's usually located somewhere in between or to the side of the expansion slots. Commonly a flat battery about the size of a coin.
andru126

Post by andru126 »

Thanks for the advice,

Tried that and other methods andnone of it helped so I took it to a PC Shop and they could not figure it out but im quite shore its just faulty cmos alltogether.

Although old (2009) Its an expensive motherboard and i can not afford to buy one of the same value but if advised it was secure to run it without the correct BIOS time and settings i would love to go back to using it.

Thanks again,

Any advice always appreciated.

Cheers
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I don't think there are any security issues with it per se, as long as the OS sets the correct date and time shortly after logging in. Does it do that?
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

nvm
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".

Return to “Installation & Boot”