After install 18.3 can't boot Win10

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Duke49th

After install 18.3 can't boot Win10

Post by Duke49th »

Not urgent problem which is why I ask only now. But it bothers me as I still use the one or another program in Windows...well...I want to lol.

I installed it that way:

C: SSD with 2+ partitions. One for Windows 10 and later on installed 18.3 core/swap on that SSD in a separate partition. Home went into another harddrives partition.

I followed a tutorial where on the screenshots it looks like it suggests that I use Windows Boot partition for the bootmanager. You know, the dropdown option below the partition window "Device for boot loader installation"

Everything works fine. But. When I chose Windows 10 from bootloader (GRUB?) it just went black for a second and brings me back into the bootloader. No error messages etc.

Any ideas?

Btw boot is from BIOS/Legacy, not UEFI.

Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
michael louwe

Re: After install 18.3 can't boot Win10

Post by michael louwe »

@ Duke49th, .......
Duke49th wrote:.
For Legacy BIOS dual-boot install, the "Device for boot loader installation" should be the internal hard-drive or /sda, ie not the Windows Boot Manager or Partition = you likely need to repair Windows Boot Manager and reinstall Grub at the same time = quite complicated. Hopefully, someone more experienced will come along and help you.

If I were in your position, I would reinstall both OS, ie Windows, then LM, after backing up my data.
Duke49th

Post by Duke49th »

Oh crap.

It's Win 10, I have no DVD Rom. Maybe I can do it from an USB Stick. I got the Key from early beta release back that time inlcuding a microsoft account. But even if I would have a DVD, I have no DVD Rom on my desktop. :(

Thanks for the heads up. Then I don't know why tutorials don't show correct screenshots. This was clearly missleading then. :(

On my laptop I let Mint just install it automatically beside Win 7. But on the desktop I've chosen "something else" and followed the tutorial to not mess up something. Well...didn't work out.
pedr324

Post by pedr324 »

I have also faced the same issue after the installation, Is not be able to boot after the install, even, I already update my system, then the process was not working also. if there is any other or instant solution available help me on.

Moderator: removed link. Links to unknown sites in first post are considered spam.
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

Duke49th wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:03 am
I followed a tutorial where on the screenshots it looks like it suggests that I use Windows Boot partition for the bootmanager.
Btw boot is from BIOS/Legacy, not UEFI.
With Legacy BIOS, it is a mistake to install grub into Windows partition. The next command tells where grub is installed.

Code: Select all

sudo fdisk -l 2>/dev/null | egrep "Disk /|/dev/" | sed "s#^/dev/#Part /dev/#" | awk '{print $2}' | sed 's/://' | xargs -n1 -iX sudo sh -c "dd if=X count=1 2>/dev/null | grep GRUB > /dev/null && echo Grub found: X || echo no Grub: X"
If Grub is installed into Windows partition, you need to fix Windows boot using Windows DVD using command

bootrec /fixboot
DO NOT run

bootrec /fixmbr
https://neosmart.net/wiki/bootrec/
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ Duke49th, .......
If you need to reinstall Grub ... https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/grub
Duke49th

Post by Duke49th »

michael louwe wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:46 pm @ Duke49th, .......
If you need to reinstall Grub ... https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/grub
HI. Thanks. As bootrec /fixboot gives me an acces denied (I have BIOS boot, not EFI..maybe thats why) I guess I have to fix it the hard way and fix grub afterwards.

I'll report back later.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Windows 10 can be installed from a flash drive, it was how I did it back in the day. IIRC M$ has free utility to create a bootable Windows stick. My process would be to install Windows first, let it "customize" itself into updatedness (probably take you a couple of days for that :(). Once it is stable and working, installing Mint from a live stick which should take about 20minutes including all updates!
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ Duke49th, .......
Duke49th wrote:As bootrec /fixboot gives me an acces denied (I have BIOS boot, not EFI..maybe thats why).
Maybe, you just need to "Run as Administrator". ... https://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-run ... -windows-7
Duke49th

Post by Duke49th »

lsemmens wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:57 am Windows 10 can be installed from a flash drive, it was how I did it back in the day. IIRC M$ has free utility to create a bootable Windows stick. My process would be to install Windows first, let it "customize" itself into updatedness (probably take you a couple of days for that :(). Once it is stable and working, installing Mint from a live stick which should take about 20minutes including all updates!
When I want to make a bootable Win 10 USB Stick in Mint, I found out that I already have one :D I just forgot that. I hope I don't need to install it again. I wouldn't do that at the moment. I am lucky and have fast internet and a SSD, but still this isn't what I want.

@Michael Louwe: As I use the console from the Win Setup, I can't run anything as Admin. But it's ok. I am at work now but later I'll just try it the other way described in the link above.

Return to “Installation & Boot”