Mint in chinese laptops?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
CK_1

Mint in chinese laptops?

Post by CK_1 »

hello to everyone,
I hope I am at the correct place!!!
I am googling for months now to get a new laptop having the following (few) requirements:
At least!
1. No matter what OS will have (windows?) it will last for a few seconds as I will immediately install linux MINT!!!Or at least try to!!
2. Must be under 200 euros (roughly 200$?)
3. must be up to 12" size (I need it portable!!)

Based on the above I have the following questions..

1. are Chinese so called 2 in 1 (Windows + android) at Aliexpress ok to accommodate mint?I love mint I do not want any other linux distro!!
I know a bit about linux but I am not a Guru so that to install mint!!! I 've read there is a difference in SSD "windows" laptops (in boot architecture?)

2. Why on Earth's name are linux laptops so expensive? Linux supposed to be free and cheap and low requirements, no need to get a free OS and pay for a monster machine!!!

Any advice is welcome
I wish to thank you in advance

Kosntantinos
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Mint in chinese laptops?

Post by Moem »

CK_1 wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:25 am 2. Why on Earth's name are linux laptops so expensive? Linux supposed to be free and cheap and low requirements, no need to get a free OS and pay for a monster machine!!!
It's a numbers game. If you sell many, many laptops, they can be cheaper than if you sell a much more modest number. But no one needs to buy a 'monster machine' to run Linux... I use Mint on refurbished Thinkpads, they come at really reasonable prices.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

Moem wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:51 am
CK_1 wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:25 am 2. Why on Earth's name are linux laptops so expensive? Linux supposed to be free and cheap and low requirements, no need to get a free OS and pay for a monster machine!!!
It's a numbers game. If you sell many, many laptops, they can be cheaper than if you sell a much more modest number. But no one needs to buy a 'monster machine' to run Linux... I use Mint on refurbished Thinkpads, they come at really reasonable prices.
+1

I have installed linux on a few refurbished Lenovo Thinkpads for me and a few others. I even installed Mint on a brand new out of the box Lenovo laptop that came with Win10 for my sister. Both my desktop and my wife's (HPs) were purchased preloaded with Windows and were immediately wiped and Mint installed.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

CK_1 wrote:.
Avoid ARM-based devices, ie go for Intel or AMD processors. ... https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= ... 2018-Hopes

Also, avoid those with limited 32GB or 64GB eMMC Flash storage, which are soldered on, = cannot be replaced or upgraded or hard to replace.

Return to “Installation & Boot”