Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Windowbreaker
Level 1
Level 1

Making custom bootable USB from existing install [SOLVED]

Post by Windowbreaker » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:44 pm

Greetings, fellow Minters

I am running Linux Mint 18.3 64-bit Mate on a Liva X micro-computer. I am not certain this belongs in this category, but if not, please relocate it. Here is what I want to do (if possible, and not TOO complicated).

Besides the standard installation, immediate updates/upgrades, etc., I usually install a dozen or so programs that I use regularly enough to consider them vital. Can I reverse-engineer my install to make a bootable USB key from my current install and including all the software, updates, and changes I have made since the original installation?

Thanks for any assistance you can give.
Last edited by Windowbreaker on Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It has now been 18 years since I first installed Linux (Corel Linux, June 2000) and 9 years since Linux has been on at least one of my computers (currently Mint 18.3, Raspbian Jessie, and <cough> Windows 7)

deepakdeshp
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Making custom bootable USB from existing install

Post by deepakdeshp » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:56 pm

If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
I am using Mint 19 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

WharfRat
Level 20
Level 20

Post by WharfRat » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:37 pm

I've already done this and it's explained here

The cloned system was a running Mate desktop that then booted from the USB drive and the same process was used to transfer it to a laptop.
ImageImage

Windowbreaker
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Windowbreaker » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:49 pm

Deepakdeshp and Wharfrat, thank you both for your answers. You have given me the basic resources I needed to do this.
It has now been 18 years since I first installed Linux (Corel Linux, June 2000) and 9 years since Linux has been on at least one of my computers (currently Mint 18.3, Raspbian Jessie, and <cough> Windows 7)

Return to “Installation & Boot”