mint 17.3 to mint 18.3 with separate home and boot partitions

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rofull

mint 17.3 to mint 18.3 with separate home and boot partitions

Post by rofull »

I have Mint 17.3 installed on 50 GB / partition and Home/ is separate partition. I want to put mint 18.3 on the / partition and not format or change the Home/ partition so I can keep the apps I have installed. Is this possible or feasible? There is also a 16GB swap partition.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: mint 17.3 to mint 18.3 with seperate home and boot partitions

Post by catweazel »

rofull wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:19 pm I have Mint 17.3 installed on 50 GB / partition and Home/ is separate partition. I want to put mint 18.3 on the / partition and not format or change the Home/ partition so I can keep the apps I have installed. Is this possible or feasible? There is also a 16GB swap partition.
Yes, it's possible. Simply install Mint to the / partition but only mount /home during the installation process. You can leave the swap partition alone as the installer will find it an use it. That said, backup your /home partition before proceeding.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
rofull

Post by rofull »

Thank you Catweasel for your response and help. Mount /Home but not allow to format /Home as opposed to "do not use this partition"?
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

rofull wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:23 pm Mount /Home but not allow to format /Home as opposed to "do not use this partition"?
Correct!
rofull wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:19 pm I want to put mint 18.3 on the / partition and not format or change the Home/ partition so I can keep the apps I have installed. Is this possible or feasible?
If I am not mistaken, the /home contains, apart from your personal files, only the configurations and settings for the installed apps and not the apps themselves which are installed in /. You would need to install them once again after the fresh install of the OS.
Mattyboy

Post by Mattyboy »

Marziano wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:42 pm
rofull wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:23 pm Mount /Home but not allow to format /Home as opposed to "do not use this partition"?
Correct!
rofull wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:19 pm I want to put mint 18.3 on the / partition and not format or change the Home/ partition so I can keep the apps I have installed. Is this possible or feasible?
If I am not mistaken, the /home contains, apart from your personal files, only the configurations and settings for the installed apps and not the apps themselves which are installed in /. You would need to install them once again after the fresh install of the OS.
Aye, that's right.

You could use the backup tool , I think it works moving up a distro, to then re-add and it'll download those apps again.

Note the

Code: Select all

dpkg get-selections > mylist.list
option.

Not so sure about all your apt apt-get options though.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: mint 17.3 to mint 18.3 with separate home and boot partitions

Post by all41 »

so I can keep the apps I have installed
Have a look at Aptic for transferring the apps to your new os install.
It's in the repositories.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.

Return to “Installation & Boot”