SOLVED. Is it possible to install LM 19 over LM 18.3 without removing the older version

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
MrT
Level 3
Level 3

SOLVED. Is it possible to install LM 19 over LM 18.3 without removing the older version

Post by MrT » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:23 am

I run Linux MInt in a dual boot setting (with Windows 10). In going from LM 17 to LM 18, the process was not exactly without pain. The issue being that, for some reason, after I removed the entire partition for Linux form my SSD and recreated the partition anew, I could not even see the bootable drive for LM 18, the same drive that worked fine on a different laptop where LM 17 was never installed. I was able to solve that problem by chance, by installing and removing Ubuntu (I went to Ubuntu out of desperation, but the pesky Ubuntu could not even recognize my dual display and mouse was getting stuck so the overall experience was 15-20 minutes long, one of the shortest installation in history, perhaps) After that, maybe something was rewritten in grub2, not sure, but I was able to upgrade to LM 18.

Now the time for the passage to LM 19 is almost here again, and I would very much like to avoid a repeat of the really poor experience I suffered the last time. Is there a way to install LM 19 on top of LM 18.3 that I currently run, without removing LM 18.3 and its partition on my dual boot machine? In general, what would be the best way for someone running Linux in dual boot, to upgrade to the new Linux Mint? I accept that I will have to reinstall all my software and I can live with that, but I would like to make sure that I enter the bootable usb, follow the steps and et voila, everything is installed and LM 18.3 gone.

Thank you.
Last edited by MrT on Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moem
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Is it possible to install LM 19 over LM 18.3 without removing the older version

Post by Moem » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:43 am

We've been informed that there will be an upgrade path to do an inplace upgrade from 18.3 to 19. That is not an installation, as such, but it may still be what you're looking for.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Is it possible to install LM 19 over LM 18.3 without removing the older version

Post by Arch_Enemy » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:43 am

I did it over 17.3 with minor issues. You will have to install whatever additional packages you had, but your configs will be saved in your home directory (if you have it on a separate partition, that is).

You will also have to reload whatever special drivers you had for various devices.

Be aware, however, if you have a Canon printer that is unsupported, and managed to get it working you are going to have to find another solution since the ia-32 libs have changed and you will get an error message trying to reload the drivers/

Other than that, I had very few issues upgrading.
I have travelled 35629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition a ~28G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home.
When the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.

Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:44 am

Moem wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:43 am
We've been informed that there will be an upgrade path to do an inplace upgrade from 18.3 to 19. That is not an installation, as such, but it may still be what you're looking for.
Hi, "Mom". :wink:

It's early there.

It's late here. I've had two Vodka Slushies.

Good night! :D

One thing I would suggest, create a partition a ~28G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home.
When the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.

Moem
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moem » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:47 am

Arch_Enemy wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:44 am
I'm not your, or anybody's mom, and never will be, but nevertheless:
Go to bed, you're drunk. :P

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:50 am

Moem wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:47 am
Arch_Enemy wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:44 am
I'm not your, or anybody's mom, and never will be, but nevertheless:
Go to bed, you're drunk. :P
I took your advice. Thanks.

PS: I never get "drunk", just "happy". :D

MrT
Level 3
Level 3

Post by MrT » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:18 pm

Moem wrote:
@Moem. Thank you....Sounds like the ideal solution for me.

MrT
Level 3
Level 3

Post by MrT » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:19 pm

Arch_Enemy wrote:
I did it over 17.3 with minor issues. You will have to install whatever additional packages you had, but your configs will be saved in your home directory (if you have it on a separate partition, that is).

You will also have to reload whatever special drivers you had for various devices.

Be aware, however, if you have a Canon printer that is unsupported, and managed to get it working you are going to have to find another solution since the ia-32 libs have changed and you will get an error message trying to reload the drivers/

@Arch_Enemy. Thank you.

Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:01 am

MrT wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:19 pm
Arch_Enemy wrote:

@Arch_Enemy. Thank you.
NP. You're welcome!

Good luck.

Now, if you look at my sig, I have a separate partition for /home. So, all my stuff stays, if I use the same User Name. I learned this after my second Arch crash.

If you are starting over, I would suggest this.

Return to “Installation & Boot”