what is best to upgrade using software manager apps

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bethm

what is best to upgrade using software manager apps

Post by bethm »

should i update upgrade my system using the apps to xfce from linux mint cinnamon 18.3 sylvia, after advice i received from the forum a few days ago I looked yesterday, and there are 2 buttons associated with xfce should i tick them both, then will i get the xfce, or what will happen, or should i download the version I want from mint with a usb stick, can you help me please, also do i need to uninstall mint 18.3 sylvia?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: what is best to upgrade using software manager apps

Post by all41 »

Mixing desktops has many implications regarding stability.
If you want XFCE then I suggest you download the .iso from linuxmint.com
and install to a usb flash or burn to a dvd.
Boot to it and try it out. If you like it you can install it on the hard drive in either it's own partitions alongside Cinnamon,
or replace Cinnamon completely with it.
XFCE 19 final release is coming around the end of the month so perhaps you could delay your install decision till then and
check out Mint 19 Tara the same way.

Are you having difficulties with 18.3 Cinnamon?
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
bethm

Post by bethm »

all41 wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:02 pm Mixing desktops has many implications regarding stability.
If you want XFCE then I suggest you download the .iso from linuxmint.com
and install to a usb flash or burn to a dvd.
Boot to it and try it out. If you like it you can install it on the hard drive in either it's own partitions alongside Cinnamon,
or replace Cinnamon completely with it.
XFCE 19 final release is coming around the end of the month so perhaps you could delay your install decision till then and
check out Mint 19 Tara the same way.

Are you having difficulties with 18.3 Cinnamon?
Thanks for your reply All41,
ok I definitely won't do it that way,
Yes I usually wait until the system is stable before using so a no to tara,
I would do the 18.3 mint xfce I have read that version is stable and yes more than likely replace cinnamon, i will have to read about the part-ion section as well just to make sure that i can, and everything will be fine doing it on my system.

I was having difficulties, because, because of low ram, the mouse always going frozen, not being able to use, libreoffice and the Internet, at the same time, so everything was running slow and the advice i was given was to run Xfce because it doesn't use as much ram etc
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

I think you are going to get this done, and find XFCE a very capable DE choice.
Not only less ram but much less demanding in the graphics area as well.
XFCE is very customizable and many accelerated forum members use it, so you will have
access to a high level of expertise in the event you need help.
Let the forum know how this works out for you.
Cheers
bethm

Post by bethm »

Hello All41,
Thanks for your help with this question,
I downloaded the iso, I will have to buy Another usb stick today, but will get it done soon,
yes and I will let you guys know how it goes.
bethm

Post by bethm »

Hi I have tried to verify the sha sum256 txt.gpg says no such file or directory, i did verify the other one when it said sorry I am confused now because i did verify one of them, and it imported the key and i verified the correct number before but it did not tell me whether it was good or bad, then later on it says it can't open txt. file then in verifying the signatures that failed, file open error is that because i have already tried to do that?

I am sorry i am trying to download the mint xfce 18.3 cinnamon when it tells me these things and as I am just not sure how I am wondering if i can get help, maybe it is because I am really stressed trying to do 3 things at once, the reason why I don't understand
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Hi again @bethm,
May I suggest you open a new topic with "unable to verify the sha sum256 txt.gpg Mint 18.3 Cinnamon"
I have unexpected visitors and my time here tonight will be somewhat fragmented. Best of luck your way.

Return to “Installation & Boot”