[SOLVED] Peculiarity installing LM18 in Vbox+EFI

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MikeF90000

[SOLVED] Peculiarity installing LM18 in Vbox+EFI

Post by MikeF90000 »

I've never had issues installing LM in Virtualbox 5.1.34 in the default 'BIOS' mode on a virtual disk with a DOS partition table.

I decided to familiarize myself with EFI installs, so I set up a VM in EFI mode with a GPT virtual disk.
Installation proceeded with no issues, but upon reboot I got the EFI shell:

Anyone else had this happen, and what might be the cause?
TIA, Mike
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Peculiarity installing LM18 in Vbox+EFI

Post by catweazel »

MikeF90000 wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:31 pm Virtualbox 5.1.34
Download and install a newer version from Oracle, including the extension pack.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
fabien85
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fabien85 »

Well if you *really* want to learn EFI, you could start mastering the EFI shell. (however it's 99% sure you will never need this knowledge in any practical situation)

A list of EFI shell commands is given here and there, and you can get more details from the shell with help command, with the -b option being usefull to limit the output to one screen at once, e.g. help bcfg -b
From the shell you can see what's the content of the NVRAM. e.g. to see the stored boot entries :

Code: Select all

bcfg boot dump
fs0 is the EFI partition. If the Mint installed went well, the bootloader is installed there at EFI/ubuntu/grubx64.efi
So you can launch grub from the shell with the following commands

Code: Select all

fs0:
cd EFI/ubuntu
grubx64.efi
In fact you could even directly boot the kernel, if it was on a partition readable by the EFI shell. That's not what happens on a default Mint install, but it's possible if you put the kernel (and initrd image etc) on a fat32 partition, or if you attach an EFI driver for the linux filesystem (typically ext4), which is e.g. what refind is doing.
MikeF90000

Post by MikeF90000 »

Just got a chance to revisit this issue. Unfortunately, my latest install did not complete - error "grub-efi-amd64-signed" package failed to install into /target. FYI the /target partition is only 50% full. Hmmm, sounds like another grub related issue.

I rebooted using Super Grub Disk 2 (which found the kernel) and then ran grub-install and update-grub. Lo and behold, the VM now boots up successfully.
fabien85
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fabien85 »

The first version of the Mint 19 ISO had this grub problem, so that's probably what you hit. Workaround is either to use the v2 (simplest and recommended way), or find a way to repair grub (boot-repair, chroot, supergrub2/refind+grub-install...).

Once you have a running OS, whether the boot mode is Legacy or EFI does not make much difference.
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

You need to copy SuperGrub2 image using dd to the first partition, so SG2 boots EFI up.
https://puolanka.info/goto/uefi-boot-wi ... partition/
MikeF90000

Post by MikeF90000 »

fabien85 wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:28 am The first version of the Mint 19 ISO had this grub problem, so that's probably what you hit. Workaround is either to use the v2 (simplest and recommended way), or find a way to repair grub (boot-repair, chroot, supergrub2/refind+grub-install...).
Thanks much for the info, not sure how I missed this ....
Regarding EFI, the Rod's Books site is well worth a read.

Return to “Installation & Boot”