Updating my Linux Mint 17.2 to 17.3

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rawill

Updating my Linux Mint 17.2 to 17.3

Post by rawill »

Great thread for a newbie like me to read. I have some questions re something else and upgrading.

I have installed Mint 17.2 MATE on two Acer Aspire One ZG5 netbooks. Then upgraded to 17.3. I think that will be enough for the specs of these old netbooks. When I upgraded it did not change the 17.2 to 17.3 in the bios, no problem to how it runs, but wondered if I could change that.

Re installing in a dual boot with Win 10 (faulty version re the update process) it did not give the option to install alongside. As it did with one of the ZG5s which is dual boot with XP.

I thought, I do not know enough to try something else. I do not want to mess with the Win 10 installation in-spite of the corruption on it. I do have it backed up, but still did not want to risk messing it up.

I am sure someone will point me to a doc that explains what I need to know to install a dual book safely. It is on an Acer Aspire 5349. I am wondering if I should burn a later image. I have 18.3 XCFE Sylvia on an Acer Aspire 5310. It seems to be working fine.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Updating my Linux Mint 17.2 to 17.3

Post by Moem »

Mod note:
This was split off from viewtopic.php?f=46&t=271250
Please do not post your own questions on a thread that someone else started, but start a new thread instead.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
rawill

Post by rawill »

I thought it was on the same or similar topic and would save duplication. Please just delete my post and I will bow out.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Duplication is fine: all new questions deserve a new thread. That's even in the forum rules and it's totally fine.

Why would you want this thread deleted? Asking questions is a contribution to the community: people will probably do their best answer your questions, for the benefit of all.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
rawill

Post by rawill »

Clearly no one has a solution to my question re changing the details on initial start up before Mint loads. Wondering where I can go to find what I want to know.
rawill

Post by rawill »

Can anyone answer this? Have I not provided enough info? Pointers welcome.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, rawill.
rawill wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:10 amI have installed Mint 17.2 MATE on two Acer Aspire One ZG5 netbooks. Then upgraded to 17.3. I think that will be enough for the specs of these old netbooks. When I upgraded it did not change the 17.2 to 17.3 in the bios, no problem to how it runs, but wondered if I could change that.
The 2 Acer Aspire One ZG5 netbooks, where Grub still announces Linux Mint 17.2, although it is Linux Mint 17.3 by now, are the EFI boot? Or do they use classic Bios boot with an MBR on the internal harddisk?

In case you should not be sure whether the netbooks use EFI boot or classic Bios boot, please, open a terminal window. Execute the commandline

Code: Select all

sudo fdisk -l
Mark the complete screen output of the command and paste it into your next reply.

P.S.:
As I do not have any EFI boot system, I looked up, whether

Code: Select all

sudo update-grub
could be used on both, EFI boot and MBR boot, in order to make Grub update its configuration. Result of my search: yes, sudo update-grub can be used on both, EFI boot and MBR boot systems. So I suggest to try and find out whether Grub displays "Linux Mint 17.3" on next reboot intead of "Linux Mint 17.2".

Best regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
rawill

Post by rawill »

Many thanks.

robin@robin-AOA150 ~ $ sudo fdisk -1
[sudo] password for robin:
fdisk: invalid option -- '1'
Usage:
fdisk [options] <disk> change partition table
fdisk [options] -l <disk> list partition table(s)
fdisk -s <partition> give partition size(s) in blocks

Options:
-b <size> sector size (512, 1024, 2048 or 4096)
-c[=<mode>] compatible mode: 'dos' or 'nondos' (default)
-h print this help text
-u[=<unit>] display units: 'cylinders' or 'sectors' (default)
-v print program version
-C <number> specify the number of cylinders
-H <number> specify the number of heads
-S <number> specify the number of sectors per track

robin@robin-AOA150 ~ $
rawill

Post by rawill »

urobin@robin-AOA150 ~ $ sudo update-grub
Generating grub configuration file ...
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-4.4.0-134-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-4.4.0-134-generic
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.16.0-38-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.16.0-38-generic
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+.elf
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+.bin
No volume groups found
Found Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition on /dev/sda1
done
robin@robin-AOA150 ~ $
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, rawill.

About the failing command "sudo fdisk -1":
If you had simply copied the command from my post, it would have worked, because the "-1" is in fact a "-l" (lowercase L)
sudo fdisk -l

OK. So next you executed sudo update-grub. Have you rebooted in the meantime? Is Linux Mint 17.3 announced as Linux Mint 17.3 in the Grub menu?

Regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
rawill

Post by rawill »

robin@robin-AOA150 ~ $ sudo fdsik -l
sudo: fdsik: command not found
robin@robin-AOA150 ~ $ sudo fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders, total 312581808 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x6b7e7b79

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 63 204004214 102002076 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sda2 204005374 312580095 54287361 5 Extended
/dev/sda5 204005376 310507519 53251072 83 Linux
/dev/sda6 310509568 312580095 1035264 82 Linux swap / Solaris
robin@robin-AOA150 ~ $ ^C
robin@robin-AOA150 ~ $

Still shows up as 17.2 on the first boot screen
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, rawill.

Looking at the existing partitions and noticing the first disk partitions /dev/sda1 holds an NTFS filesystem, I start wondering ...

OK, I have read your initial post again.
This machine is dual boot: Windows XP on /dev/sda1 and Mint on /dev/sda5.
The boot manager which comes up at boot time, is this perhaps the Windows boot manager?

If this is the case then this might explain why the boot manager still announces Linux Mint 17.2.
Windows will not notice if you upgrade a Linux Mint operating system.
Therefore it will not change the name which it displays in the boot menu.
Have you perhaps used a software like EasyBCD in order to add Linux Mint 17.2 to the Windows boot manager as a start option?

Best regards,
Karl
Lifeline
rawill

Post by rawill »

Many thanks Karl. I appreciate the time and comments.
The place where 17.2 MATE shows up is the first screen before Mint or Windows XP loads.

It is the screen with multiple options to boot, default is Mint (listed as 17.2, but is in fact 17.3, I started with 17.2 when I first loaded it, then later uipdated).

It does not really matter a lot, but I just wanted to see if I could "tidy it up."

Robin
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, rawill.

Yes, I am aware when the boot manager boot menu gets displayed.
What I really try to find out which operating system on your machine manages the boot menu, Windows or Linux Mint.
Could have a closer look at the top of the boot menu, please.

In case you read "GNU Grub version 2.<something>" in the very first line of the screen, them it is Linux Mint which manages the boot process and therefore also the content of the boot menu.
Does your boot menu look more like this:

In case the top line of the screen does not mention "GNU Grub", but Windows instead, then the boot process will be managed by Windows.
Does your boot menu look more like this:

Best regards,
Karl
Lifeline
rawill

Post by rawill »

Many thanks for your patience and input.

After the bios splash screen (if that is what you call it!)
What comes up is like the first image.
The bottom line is where you chose windows.

I will see if I can do a PrtSc, not sure how.

robin

Return to “Installation & Boot”