[SOLVED] Problems installing Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
GreenShadow

[SOLVED] Problems installing Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia

Post by GreenShadow »

Hello, so after my Windows 7 started misbehaving, I chose to install Linux Mint. I started installation and chose the "something else" install option because I had files backed up on D drive (or partition as referred to in Linux). Upon entering partition tab, I removed C drive (where Win 7 was installed). Then I split the free space (~265GB) into 25GB of "/" (root I believe), 8GB of swap (I heard that swap should be double the RAM size), dedicated the rest to "/home" and left the backup D drive marked as "do not use this partition". Then about halfway through the process I was greeted with a message "The 'grub-efi-amd64-signed' package failed to install into /target/. Without GRUB boot loader, the installed system will not boot". After clicking "Ok" there's another window "installer crashed" and then I returned to Linux home screen.

I tried searching for solutions and some were suggesting to turn off WiFi but it still didn't work. I could find no thread concerning an issue like mine.

Hoping someone can help me, with best regards.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 7 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Problems installing Linux Mint 18?3 Sylvia

Post by Pierre »

1st off - - did you check that ISO to see if it's checksum was correct?
https://linuxmint.com/verify.php
if it's not correct - you can get some very weird errors

do you need to install in grub-efi mode ? that shouldn't be necessary when booting with win-7 ..
- plain ms-dos mode should work, just fine.

that rule of the /swap should be ~2 - 3 times your available RAM - only applies if you plan to hibernate your system,
otherwise you don't need a /swap of that larger size.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
GreenShadow

Re: Problems installing Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia

Post by GreenShadow »

Integrity is all good...
GreenShadow

Re: Problems installing Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia

Post by GreenShadow »

Ok this may sound freaking crazy, but leaving time zone at New York fixed the problem...

Return to “Installation & Boot”