Endless boot from USB drive

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Caravaggio

Endless boot from USB drive

Post by Caravaggio »

Hi all,

I am trying to install LM 18.3 for the first time, and after following the user guide (download, verification and burning the ISO) I tried to boot from USB. My screen is currently sitting on a black background with the LM logo in the middle, and has been for the past half hour.

I know that booting from USB drive is definitely slower than from HDD, but wasn't expecting it to be this slow. I'm not even sure whether I should sit tight and let it do its thing or just power down and try again.

What kind of waiting booting time should I be looking at? I'm afraid something may have gone wrong during the burning operation.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Endless boot from USB drive

Post by thx-1138 »

...have you first disabled Secure Boot & Fast Boot under BIOS?
Caravaggio

Post by Caravaggio »

thx-1138 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:43 pm ...have you first disabled Secure Boot & Fast Boot under BIOS?
... I have not. I'm quite the ignorant when it comes to these things, never took up an interest in computing and was kind of hoping to get better by playing around with Linux. Trial and error kind of situation.

So, disable Secure Boot & Fast Boot under BIOS and try again then?
Last edited by Caravaggio on Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

Yeap, disable them first. First time installing with no previous experience is quite frequently somewhat of an...ordeal :)
No worries about not having previous knowledge, folks around will certainly help you in whatever obstacle you might encounter...
Caravaggio

Post by Caravaggio »

thx-1138 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:51 pm Yeap, disable them first. First time installing with no previous experience is quite frequently somewhat of an...ordeal :)
No worries about not having previous knowledge, folks around will certainly help you in whatever obstacle you might encounter...
I'm enjoying it though, I have no idea of what I'm doing and it feels great.
By the way, Secure Boot is already disabled. Can't find any "Fast Boot" though (unless they're meant to be the same thing).
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

Can you try starting it in Compatibility mode?
http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... ility-mode
If that doesn't do the trick, it might need the "nomodeset" instructions presented in the same page.
Caravaggio

Post by Caravaggio »

thx-1138 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:02 pm Can you try starting it in Compatibility mode?
If that doesn't do the trick, it might need the "nomodeset" instructions presented in the same page.
I went for it and I'm now presented with a terminal-looking screen that says

Code: Select all

Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia mint tty1
mint login:
Not sure what to do really...
Caravaggio

Post by Caravaggio »

thx-1138 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:02 pm Can you try starting it in Compatibility mode?
"nomodeset" did the trick, thank you!
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

...excellent - glad to have been of help. Welcome to Mint (and the forum) by the way... :)
Caravaggio

Post by Caravaggio »

thx-1138 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:31 pm ...excellent - glad to have been of help. Welcome to Mint (and the forum) by the way... :)
Thank you :) It feels like such a relief being able to get through this, hopefully this place will help me improve and become self-sufficient, one day!

Return to “Installation & Boot”