Dual Boot Two Linux Versions(Solved)

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
eegrek39
Level 2
Level 2

Dual Boot Two Linux Versions(Solved)

Post by eegrek39 »

I am using Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia and find it stable with no problems. However, I would like to try Linux Mint 19 "Tara" Mate Beta Release. I have downloaded and made a bootable usb stick and have tried the live version. It would now be nice to install the beta version on the hard disc along side version 18.3. Can I just choose to 'install the beta version alongside 18.3 sylvia' option during the beta installation process or will it affect how the 18.3 version works? I do not want to affect my stable working 18.3 system. I am not bothered about having a different Home directory as I can load any data I currently have on a backup stick. My current installation shows the following partitions. Do I have manually change anything with Gparted or will this be an automatic process during installation.

Model: ATA TOSHIBA MQ01ABD0 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 750GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos
Disk Flags:

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
32.3kB 1049kB 1016kB Free Space
1 1049kB 746GB 746GB primary ext4 boot
746GB 746GB 1048kB Free Space
2 746GB 750GB 4172MB extended
5 746GB 750GB 4172MB logical linux-swap(v1)
750GB 750GB 909kB Free Space
Thank you for your advice - I have now loaded version 19 "Tara" MATE onto a virtual box. All I have to do now is to figure out how to share files with my Host Version 18.3.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Dual Boot Two Linux Versions

Post by Flemur »

eegrek39 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:34 pm Can I just choose to 'install the beta version alongside 18.3 sylvia' option during the beta installation process
I dunno if "install alongside" will work - your partition info looks messed up (bad presentation, not bad partitions).
FWIW, I always prefer to do "something else", then I know what it's going to do. You make the partitions for the new install first.
or will it affect how the 18.3 version works?
It'll probably take over booting, and 18.3 should be on the new menu.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

"Install alongside" should work. I have used it several times to have more than one Linux install on a computer. (But now I usually just install them in VirtualBox.) As Flemur noted, the new install will then control Grub/booting, and your 18.3 install will be in the boot menu.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

it seems that I'm often multi_booting my machines, these days,
and that a Tri_boot is the most common setup, that I've been using.

in the past, I've also multi-booted 4 - 5 - 6 Linux Systems, across a couple of HDDs as well.
generally, I'll install in the reverse order, to that I'm planning on using those system,
so that the Last Installed System will be the system to control the Grub Boot Loader & thus the whole system.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Return to “Installation & Boot”