[SOLVED] NOOB stuck on new installation, trying to dual boot

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ChazzerB314

[SOLVED] NOOB stuck on new installation, trying to dual boot

Post by ChazzerB314 »

So I've followed many of the guides to install Linux Mint 18.3 "Sylvia". Everything works well until I get into the Linux GUI booted off of the USB.

The desktop has 3 icons: Computer, Home, and Install Linux Mint. I double click on Install Linux Mint.
Step 1: Choose a language, done.
Step 2: 2 boxes for Install third-party software and Turn off Secure Boot. Check and check. Choose a password. I type one key and my keyboard stops workkng (Problem #1). <No worries, I can turn on the Virtual on-screen Keyboard as a work around> ok.
Step 3: Install Linux Mint alongside them (other OS) <that's what I want> Ok.
Step 4: Press "Install Now"
Error!!!!
"Starting Sector Number, 4294967296 exceeds the msdos-partition-table-imposed maximum of 4294967295"

Happened twice. I wiped my USB and started over and same results.

Hardware:
i5-4670k
ASUS Maximus Hero VII
Samsung 960 Evo 250GB NvMe
4x4GB RAM
GTX 1050ti

So my first 3 days of Linux have been rough, no keyboard and no install. Hopefully my luck will turn around and I can begin exploring this brand new world.

Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
WharfRat

Re: NOOB stuck on new installation, trying to dual boot

Post by WharfRat »

Hello ChazzerB314 Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)

The problems you're experiencing is very odd especially
Starting Sector Number, 4294967296 exceeds the msdos-partition-table-imposed maximum of 4294967295
Did you verify the iso file as outlined on the Mint web site :?:

If you run the terminal app from the live session does the keyboard work normally :?:

If so paste back the results of these inxi -Fzxxx and [ -d /sys/firmware/efi ] && echo "Currently in EFI mode" || echo "Currently in Legacy mode"
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Are you using the msdos partition table? If so, you need to change to GPT.

https://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index. ... 08753.html

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthrea ... ed-maximum
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
ChazzerB314

Post by ChazzerB314 »

Ok update time. I verified my iso and it was good. I tried again and nothing. I couldn't switch my drive to gpt because it was my main boot drive for windows. So, I backed up that drive and wiped it through the cmd prompt in the system recovery boot up screen.
Then, I attempted to switch the drive to gpt and it was successful (kinda). I had to reinstall windows so I partitioned the drive during installation and it switched the drive back to mbr.
Once windows was up and running barebones, I attempted to reinstall Linux.
The keyboard still would only work for one keystroke, but I was able to get it installed.

Thank you both for your help. I will be posting my keyboard problem somewhere else.
MotleyCru

Re: [SOLVED] NOOB stuck on new installation, trying to dual boot

Post by MotleyCru »

I just had this issue with a 4TB hard drive.. tried every conceivable way to install both Win10 and Linux Mint 19 on the same drive, and found it is not possible in my case.

Having the older BIOS with no UEFI, I could not install Windows 10 on the GPT partition (Windows would not accept this type of Partition... and then Installing Windows on the ms-dos partition - the Linux install would error saying the partition exceeds the allocated maximum sectors.

So... In order for ME to do the dual boot, I had to install Windows 10 first on one physical drive (older 500GB drive with ms-dos partition) and then install Linux Mint on the 4TB drive (GPT partition).

Return to “Installation & Boot”