Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
gnappi
Level 1
Level 1

Cinnamon crashed

Post by gnappi » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:59 am

I uninstalled freepascal and the next boot I got (paraphrased) and a blank screen with a cursor after replying to the message below.

Unable to launch cinnamon-xsession not found falling back to default session.

No biggie, I have a clone of the drive but I would like to know why a seemingly unrelated program caused the crash?

Mute Ant
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Cinnamon crashed

Post by Mute Ant » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:47 am

"...why a seemingly unrelated program caused the crash..." Maybe it didn't. Changes to the OS files on a drive don't have any effect until a new copy is loaded into RAM. That always happens after a reboot, so any upset from a previous session looks like a boot problem.

The Timeshift program built-in to Mint19 can rewind the OS to 'working' if you are careful to make a snapshot when the OS actually is working... just after a succesful boot rather than just after applying a week's upgrades.
Have you seen the old man, in the Street of Artificers, selling hot meat pies, of cow or horse or goat?
Tangy mustard can't disguise, the gristle lurking in his pies, just a dollar-fifty, and he's CMOT.

kdPrakash
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Cinnamon crashed

Post by kdPrakash » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:52 am

I too facing same problem. Showing that
Unable to launch "cinnamon-session=cinnamon" not found falling back to default sessions.
I tried to login using Ctrl+Alt+F1 but the terminal showing error for user name and password.

I also tried holding shift key while booting and droped in root user method and tried to install cinnamon by using
sudo apt-get install --reinstall cinnamon
But nothing helps. :cry:

My doubt is that can I recover my system by using live cd ?

If it possible means please guide me the methods to recover my system.

I didn't have backup of my files. :roll: :?:

Thank you in advance

Return to “Installation & Boot”