Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
gnappi
Level 1
Level 1

Cinnamon crashed

Post by gnappi » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:59 am

I uninstalled freepascal and the next boot I got (paraphrased) and a blank screen with a cursor after replying to the message below.

Unable to launch cinnamon-xsession not found falling back to default session.

No biggie, I have a clone of the drive but I would like to know why a seemingly unrelated program caused the crash?

Mute Ant
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Cinnamon crashed

Post by Mute Ant » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:47 am

"...why a seemingly unrelated program caused the crash..." Maybe it didn't. Changes to the OS files on a drive don't have any effect until a new copy is loaded into RAM. That always happens after a reboot, so any upset from a previous session looks like a boot problem.

The Timeshift program built-in to Mint19 can rewind the OS to 'working' if you are careful to make a snapshot when the OS actually is working... just after a succesful boot rather than just after applying a week's upgrades.
Tommy reports the scan of zircon and opal storage is complete. When shall we go today?

kdPrakash
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Cinnamon crashed

Post by kdPrakash » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:52 am

I too facing same problem. Showing that
Unable to launch "cinnamon-session=cinnamon" not found falling back to default sessions.
I tried to login using Ctrl+Alt+F1 but the terminal showing error for user name and password.

I also tried holding shift key while booting and droped in root user method and tried to install cinnamon by using
sudo apt-get install --reinstall cinnamon
But nothing helps. :cry:

My doubt is that can I recover my system by using live cd ?

If it possible means please guide me the methods to recover my system.

I didn't have backup of my files. :roll: :?:

Thank you in advance

Return to “Installation & Boot”