<SOLVED> Linux Mint 18.3 Installation Issue (CD Read Error ... but Mintstick)

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
minger_88

<SOLVED> Linux Mint 18.3 Installation Issue (CD Read Error ... but Mintstick)

Post by minger_88 »

I am trying to do a clean install of Linux Mint 18.3, upgrading from 17.3.

After setting up a new partition table, I click through to actually start the install. However, during the "copy files" process, I keep getting the CD/DVD read error. BUT I AM BOOTING FROM USB!!! I am very confused. I am getting the what-seems-to-be-common error shown here (pulled from askubuntu forum, but same thing I'm seeing)
https://i.stack.imgur.com/YRLua.jpg

Code: Select all

[Errno 5] Input/output error

This is often due to a faulty CD/DVD disk or drive, or a faulty hard disk. It may help to clean the CD/DVD, to burn the CD/DVD at a lower speed, to clean the CD/DVD drive lens (cleaning kits are often available from electronics suppliers), to check whether the hard disk is old and in need of replacement, or to move the system to a cooler environment. 
I mean, there is some suggestion that there could be a hard drive issue -- but I don't seem to be having any issues with it (SSD: ATA OCZ-VERTEX3 (120 GB)

Air conditioning is working right now ... so I guess could there an issue with the Mintstick? I can actually boot to it, so I guess that's what's confusing me.

suggestions? Unplug the CD drive?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Linux Mint 18.3 Installation Issue (CD Read Error ... but Mintstick)

Post by MrEen »

Total guess here. Are you using a USB3 port? If so, try a USB2 port.

Actually it looks like it might be an error with how the USB was written. See this topic.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

The error message is generic, so ignore the CD part.

The live USB boot menu has an option to check the integrity of the medium, I suggest you run that check. If it fails then the previous suggestions are good ones (or you could just have a bad USB stick - try another). But if it checks out then you can boot into the live USB and verify the target drive from there, might have a bunch of bad sectors.
minger_88

Post by minger_88 »

Yes must have been an issue with the stick. I actually want able to use the normal bootable USB utility, I had to use a shell command ... Don't have the link.

Anyways, the installer got far enough to actually format my disc, so I was able to boot with the stick, redownload the iso, reverify the checksum, reinstall a DVD burning software and create a bootable DVD.

Was scared for a minute because I still got some error related to USB (want able to write it down before it disappeared) but it seemed to go.

Thanks for the help
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

So this is solved? That's great, please mark the topic as SOLVED. Thanks!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Installation & Boot”