Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
tgwilt
Level 1
Level 1

Grub frustrations (Solved)

Post by tgwilt » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:17 pm

Does anybody else struggle with grub?

I have 4 kernels, with the latest being 4.4.0-128. I would like to boot into that kernel by default, but I always have to choose the advanced options on the grub menu. I've looked all over for a nice, easy way to make the 4.4-0 image the default, but it's like trying to herd cats. I've checked the man page, looked at all the files in /etc/grubd and even found a good grub wiki, but nobody has any hints as to how to easily change the boot order, or anything else. Makes me long for the days of LILO.

Anybody here up to the challenge?

Thanks,

Tom Gwilt
Last edited by tgwilt on Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slipstick
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Grub frustrations

Post by slipstick » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:20 pm

What are the other three kernels?
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they ain't.

karlchen
Level 18
Level 18

Post by karlchen » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:20 pm

Hi, Tom.

Which kernel precisely does Grub want to boot by default instead?
Which kernels have your got on your disk in the directory /boot?
You can check by executing the terminal command

Code: Select all

ls -l /boot/vmlinuz-*
Best regards,
Karl
Old bugs good, new bugs bad! Updates are evil: might fix old bugs and introduce no new ones.

kc1di
Level 13
Level 13

Post by kc1di » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:24 pm

though some would disagree with this, I would install grub-customizer from this ppa. You can use it to set the boot order anyway you like it.
https://launchpad.net/~danielrichter200 ... customizer

Other things you can do if you have more than one kernel installed you can go to the update manager and under the view > Kernel tabs uninstall all other kernels you do not need. The one left will boot.

Or you can edit the /etc/default/grub file and move your choice up to first places in the boot order remember that that files starts counting a 0 not 1.

Good Luck.
Easy tips : https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

JerryF
Level 9
Level 9

Post by JerryF » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:04 pm

tgwilt wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:17 pm

I have 4 kernels, with the latest being 4.4.0-128. I would like to boot into that kernel by default, but I always have to choose the advanced options on the grub menu. I've looked all over for a nice, easy way to make the 4.4-0 image the default, but it's like trying to herd cats. I've checked the man page, looked at all the files in /etc/grubd and even found a good grub wiki, but nobody has any hints as to how to easily change the boot order, or anything else. Makes me long for the days of LILO.

Thanks,

Tom Gwilt
Answering your question, no.

I highly suggest NOT installing Grub Customizer. I did and I ended up with a mess. I had to clean that mess, then let the system take care of Grub. I'm a much happier camper.

Boot the machine with kernel 4.4.0-128. You can make sure you do that by holding down the left Shift key at the beginning of the booting process.

When the Grub menu appears, choose Advanced Options for Linux Mint... then choose 4.4.0-128.

Open Update Manager, View menu, Linux kernels, click on the kernel you want to remove and click on the Remove button. Repeat for the other kernels you want to remove.

Reboot.

You'll now have kernel 4.4.0-128 booted. Check with this command:

uname -r
As a suggestion, I'd install a lower-numbered kernel as a backup kernel, lower that 4.4.0-128. Installing a lower-numbered kernel will not make it the default---you'll keep 4.4.0-128 as the default.
IF AND WHEN your problem has been solved, please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members.

tgwilt
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tgwilt » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:21 pm

JerryF wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:04 pm
tgwilt wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:17 pm

Thanks,

Tom Gwilt
Answering your question, no.

I highly suggest NOT installing Grub Customizer. I did and I ended up with a mess. I had to clean that mess, then let the system take care of Grub. I'm a much happier camper.

Boot the machine with kernel 4.4.0-128. You can make sure you do that by holding down the left Shift key at the beginning of the booting process.

When the Grub menu appears, choose Advanced Options for Linux Mint... then choose 4.4.0-128.

Open Update Manager, View menu, Linux kernels, click on the kernel you want to remove and click on the Remove button. Repeat for the other kernels you want to remove.

Reboot.

You'll now have kernel 4.4.0-128 booted. Check with this command:

uname -r
As a suggestion, I'd install a lower-numbered kernel as a backup kernel, lower that 4.4.0-128. Installing a lower-numbered kernel will not make it the default---you'll keep 4.4.0-128 as the default.
Thanks, that took care of it! I'm marking topic solved.

Return to “Installation & Boot”