Linux Mint won't load (no boot)

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Rayser
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint won't load (no boot)

Post by Rayser »

My cousin has a Samsung notebook and I changed the bios options(disable secure boot, etc) first to install Linux Mint with a live USB, everything works fine.

Then I reboot the notebook to start the HD-Initialization (without pen drive), the notebook can't detect my installation.

I put the pen drive again and start the Mint again, checked the HD and all Linux Mint archives are there.

It's the same pen drive I used to install Mint (18.3) on my notebook and my uncle PC and works 100% okey.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
michael louwe

Re: Linux Mint won't load (no boot)

Post by michael louwe »

Rayser wrote:.
What is the Samsung computer model and specifications.? Or from the Live LM USB, provide the Terminal output for inxi -Fxz.

Certain Samsung models have difficulty installing Linux.
Rayser
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rayser »

michael louwe wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:25 am
What is the Samsung computer model and specifications.? Or from the Live LM USB, provide the Terminal output for inxi -Fxz.

Certain Samsung models have difficulty installing Linux.
Samsung 270E

Model Code: NP270E4E-KD2BR
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ Rayser, .......
What program did you use to create the Live LM 18.3 USB.?

Are you installing LM as single-boot or dual-boot.?

Which install method did you use, "Erase Disk ..." or "Install LM alongside Windows" or "Something else".?

If your BIOS Setup is in UEFI mode, the internal hard-drive must be in GPT mode and the OS must be 64bit. To check the disk/drive mode, run the Live LM 18.3 USB and go to >Menu >Accessories >Disks.
....... Ensure that the Live LM 18.3 is booted in UEFI mode at the Boot Order Menu of BIOS Setup before you do the install of LM.

If your BIOS Setup is in Legacy BIOS mode(eg CSM or Legacy BIOS enabled), the internal hard-drive should be MBR/ms-dos and the OS can be 32bit or 64bit. To change the disk mode, run GParted from the Live LM USB and >Create new partition table >ms-dos >Apply.
....... Ensure that the Live LM 18.3 USB is booted in Legacy BIOS mode before you do the install.

Have a look at this link ... viewtopic.php?t=171811
Last edited by michael louwe on Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rayser
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rayser »

michael louwe wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:31 pm

Which install method did you use, "Erase Disk ..." or "Install LM alongside Windows" or "Something else".?

If your BIOS Setup is in UEFI mode, the internal hard-drive must be in GPT mode and the OS must be 64bit. To check the disk/drive mode, run the Live LM 18.3 USB and go to >Menu >Accessories >Disks.
....... Ensure that the Live LM 18.3 is booted in UEFI mode at the Boot Order Menu of BIOS Setup before you do the install of LM.

If your BIOS Setup is in Legacy BIOS mode(eg CSM or Legacy BIOS enabled), the internal hard-drive should be MBR/ms-dos and the OS can be 32bit or 64bit. To change the disk mode, run GParted from the Live LM USB and >Create new partition table >ms-dos >Apply.
....... Ensure that the Live LM 18.3 USB is booted in Legacy BIOS mode before you do the install.

I guess Rufus, don't remember. I made the pendrive a months ago.
Single-boot
Erase Disk.
Rayser
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rayser »

michael louwe wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:31 pm

Here the screenshots of the BIOS.

I tried with Legacy OS too.

https://imgur.com/a/8b3jTx0
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ Rayser, .......
The Rufus program is normally used to create a Live LM 18.3 USB in UEFI/GPT or Legacy BIOS/MBR mode. If the Live LM 18.3 USB was created in UEFI/GPT mode, the target computer to do the install must also be setup in UEFI/GPT mode. Vice versa for Legacy BIOS/MBR mode.

You mentioned that you used the same Live LM 18.3 USB to install LM on your other notebook. Is LM installed in Legacy BIOS or UEFI mode on your other notebook.?
....... Fyi, nearly all post-2011 OEM computers that came preinstalled with Win 8.x/10 use UEFI/GPT/Secure Boot technology by default. But they can also be manually set to use Legacy BIOS/MBR technology via BIOS Setup.
....... To check whether LM is installed in UEFI mode, run GParted and at the Partition Table, look for the presence of an EFI System Partition or EFI Boot Partition = fat32/about 100MB to 500MB in size/mount point or flag is boot/efi or boot,esp. Another indication for UEFI mode is GPT disk mode at >Accessories >Disks.

Yes, for single-boot of LM, you should use "Erase disk and install LM" = simpler/easier. Your imgur link shows the Samsung computer is set to UEFI mode. Ensure that Secure Boot and Fast Boot are disabled in BIOS Setup.
Rayser
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rayser »

michael louwe wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:05 pm @ Rayser, .......
The Rufus program is normally used to create a Live LM 18.3 USB in UEFI/GPT or Legacy BIOS/MBR mode. If the Live LM 18.3 USB was created in UEFI/GPT mode, the target computer to do the install must also be setup in UEFI/GPT mode. Vice versa for Legacy BIOS/MBR mode.

You mentioned that you used the same Live LM 18.3 USB to install LM on your other notebook. Is LM installed in Legacy BIOS or UEFI mode on your other notebook.?
....... Fyi, nearly all post-2011 OEM computers that came preinstalled with Win 8.x/10 use UEFI/GPT/Secure Boot technology by default. But they can also be manually set to use Legacy BIOS/MBR technology via BIOS Setup.
....... To check whether LM is installed in UEFI mode, run GParted and at the Partition Table, look for the presence of an EFI System Partition or EFI Boot Partition = fat32/about 100MB to 500MB in size/mount point or flag is boot/efi or boot,esp. Another indication for UEFI mode is GPT disk mode at >Accessories >Disks.

Yes, for single-boot of LM, you should use "Erase disk and install LM" = simpler/easier. Your imgur link shows the Samsung computer is set to UEFI mode. Ensure that Secure Boot and Fast Boot are disabled in BIOS Setup.

I had to update my new notebook and the pen drive to the new Mint 19 using Rufus.

And next time I gonna try to install the new LM 19. I don't have this notebook in hands, it's in another house.
Ensure that Secure Boot and Fast Boot are disabled in BIOS Setup.
I did that to run the Live LM.
Rayser
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rayser »

michael louwe wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:05 pm
Here my disk and gparted.

My CPU is I3-2330m

https://i.imgur.com/lj7rniG.png
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ Rayser, .......
Your imgur link for GParted and Disks shows that LM is installed in Legacy BIOS/MBR mode, ie there is no EFI System Partition present and the internal hard-drive is in MBR/ms-dos mode.

If the Live LM 18.3 USB was created by Rufus in UEFI/GPT mode, then the install of LM would not have been successful since your/the target computer was in Legacy BIOS/MBR mode. If so, to make the install work, the computer needs to be in UEFI/GPT mode, eg use GParted to convert/format the internal hard-drive from MBR/ms-dos to GPT mode. Or use Rufus to re-create the Live LM 18.3 USB in Legacy BIOS/MBR mode in order to install LM on the target computer in this mode. Or use another program to create a hybrid Live LM 18.3 USB, eg https://etcher.io/ , to install LM in Legacy BIOS/MBR mode.
P S - If the user presses a certain key combination (alt-E or something like that) once in Rufus, it unhides the menu option to write a USB-stick that supports both UEFI and Legacy BIOS boot modes = the Live LM USB can be used to install in either UEFI/GPT or Legacy BIOS/MBR mode, ie depending on how the target computer is setup.
Rayser
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rayser »

michael louwe wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:25 am @ Rayser, .......
Your imgur link for GParted and Disks shows that LM is installed in Legacy BIOS/MBR mode, ie there is no EFI System Partition present and the internal hard-drive is in MBR/ms-dos mode.

If the Live LM 18.3 USB was created by Rufus in UEFI/GPT mode, then the install of LM would not have been successful since your/the target computer was in Legacy BIOS/MBR mode. If so, to make the install work, the computer needs to be in UEFI/GPT mode, eg use GParted to convert/format the internal hard-drive from MBR/ms-dos to GPT mode. Or use Rufus to re-create the Live LM 18.3 USB in Legacy BIOS/MBR mode in order to install LM on the target computer in this mode. Or use another program to create a hybrid Live LM 18.3 USB, eg https://etcher.io/ , to install LM in Legacy BIOS/MBR mode.
P S - If the user presses a certain key combination (alt-E or something like that) once in Rufus, it unhides the menu option to write a USB-stick that supports both UEFI and Legacy BIOS boot modes = the Live LM USB can be used to install in either UEFI/GPT or Legacy BIOS/MBR mode, ie depending on how the target computer is setup.
I made works after format using ext4 and gparted.

Use for a minutes, then after a reboot everything goes wrong.

The notebook loads forever now. Only work on recovery mode and the pendrive LM 19

I found this error too.

https://ibb.co/epkmE8
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ Rayser, .......
The very slow boot in LM 19 is likely related to a kernel update bug ... viewtopic.php?f=46&t=273287 , ie avoid running Linux kernel 4.15.0.24.

The default setting in Update Manager LM 19 should be manually changed, ie untick Level 4 and Linux kernel updates.
Rayser
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rayser »

michael louwe wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:37 pm @ Rayser, .......
The very slow boot in LM 19 is likely related to a kernel update bug ... viewtopic.php?f=46&t=273287 , ie avoid running Linux kernel 4.15.0.24.

The default setting in Update Manager LM 19 should be manually changed, ie untick Level 4 and Linux kernel updates.
Very slow? How much? Because it's pass more than 10 minutes I guess.

Should I re-install everything?
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ Rayser, .......
Yes. "Practice makes perfect."

Ensure that your computer's BIOS Setup, the internal hard-drive and Live LM 19 USB are properly set for the install of LM, either in UEFI/GPT or Legacy BIOS/MBR-msdos mode.

Which program did you use to create the Live LM 19 USB pendrive.? ... http://www.rodsbooks.com/efi-bootloader ... ting-media
(Creating EFI-Bootable USB Drives)
P S - If grub.efi fails to install, reinstall LM 19 with the Internet disconnected. May be better to install the more stable LM 18.3.
Rayser
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rayser »

michael louwe wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:57 pm @ Rayser, .......
Yes. "Practice makes perfect."

Ensure that your computer's BIOS Setup, the internal hard-drive and Live LM 19 USB are properly set for the install of LM, either in UEFI/GPT or Legacy BIOS/MBR-msdos mode.

Which program did you use to create the Live LM 19 USB pendrive.? ... http://www.rodsbooks.com/efi-bootloader ... ting-media
(Creating EFI-Bootable USB Drives)
P S - If grub.efi fails to install, reinstall LM 19 with the Internet disconnected. May be better to install the more stable LM 18.3.
Using Gparted to format a hard drive to LM 19, which option is better? ext4 right? Then the option "erase data" on installation?

I used Rufus.

I sent the information about how to start with another kernel. Should work until I go there again. I hope my cousin or my uncle is smart enough to make it.

Btw I already deleted the -24 kernel of my own laptop.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ Rayser, .......
Rayser wrote:Using Gparted to format a hard drive to LM 19, which option is better? ext4 right? Then the option "erase data" on installation?.
Yes.
With Rufus, if the Live LM 19 USB is created in UEFI/GPT mode, then the target computer for the install of LM 19 64bit must be set to UEFI mode in BIOS Setup and the internal hard-drive must be in GPT disk mode, and the Live LM 19 64bit USB should also be booted in UEFI mode via the Boot Menu of BIOS Setup.
....... And vice versa if the Live LM 19 USB is created in Legacy BIOS/MBR mode.
P S - There have been reports of the Samsung 270E laptop having a buggy UEFI implementation = use Legacy BIOS/MBR mode to install LM.
Rayser
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rayser »

michael louwe wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:16 pm @ Rayser, .......
Rayser wrote:Using Gparted to format a hard drive to LM 19, which option is better? ext4 right? Then the option "erase data" on installation?.
Yes.
With Rufus, if the Live LM 19 USB is created in UEFI/GPT mode, then the target computer for the install of LM 19 64bit must be set to UEFI mode in BIOS Setup and the internal hard-drive must be in GPT disk mode, and the Live LM 19 64bit USB should also be booted in UEFI mode via the Boot Menu of BIOS Setup.
....... And vice versa if the Live LM 19 USB is created in Legacy BIOS/MBR mode.
P S - There have been reports of the Samsung 270E laptop having a buggy UEFI implementation = use Legacy BIOS/MBR mode to install LM.
Finally i managed to resolve the problem.

Everything is okey now! Thx
Last edited by Rayser on Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
lovelyrock

Post by lovelyrock »

I have a Dell Inspiron 15 5000 15-5545 running Linux Mint Tara smoothly until the other day when I started the laptop I was welcomed by a black screen with flashing "check media... Failed", followed by no boot system found...
I need to fix it without losing files on system.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

lovelyrock wrote:.
To backup your data files, run the Live LM 19 USB/DVD, mount(= just double-click on the internal hard-drive at the >Computer icon on the desktop), access your folders/files and copy them to an external USB drive.

The default setting for LM 19 is to install all Level updates when "Install updates" is clicked/selected, including Linux kernel updates. This can be risky and bork the system. LM developers expect the users to recover with the preinstalled Timeshift program.
....... Likely, a Level 4 update has borked your LM 19 system. Can you recover with Timeshift or by reverting to a previous kernel.?

It is advisable to disable Level 4 and kernel updates, immediately after installing LM 19(= default kernel was 4.15.0.20 for iso version 1), eg the buggy kernel 4.15.0.24 update caused very slow boot.
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/20
lovelyrock

Post by lovelyrock »

I tried the LiveMint USB following the instructions you gave, but I don't see the computer icon on the desktop.
I ran fsck and got this:
mint@mint:~$ sudo fsck -t -y -f -c /dev/sda
fsck from util-linux 2.31.1
mint@mint:~$ sudo su
root@mint:/home/mint# sudo fsck -t -y -f -c /dev/sda
root@mint:/home/mint#
root@mint:/home/mint# sudo umount /dev/sda
umount: /dev/sda: not mounted.
root@mint:/home/mint# fsck /dev/sda
e2fsck 1.44.1 (24-Mar-2018)
ext2fs_open2: Bad magic number in super-block
fsck.ext2: Superblock invalid, trying backup blocks...
fsck.ext2: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/sda

The superblock could not be read or does not describe a valid ext2/ext3/ext4
filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2/ext3/ext4
filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock
is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:
e2fsck -b 8193 <device>
or
e2fsck -b 32768 <device>

root@mint:/home/mint#

Any ideas??

Return to “Installation & Boot”