Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
kcdah
Level 1
Level 1

Black Screen on Turn On, after Choosing Nvidia - Macbook Pro

Post by kcdah » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:38 pm

I installed linux mint on my old macbook pro using the following instructions https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac/h ... c-3637265/ where I replaced my macOS with linux mint. Everything worked except the wifi. I tried a fair amount of troubleshooting and out of desperation tried switching to the Nvidia option in the Driver GUI.

Now, when I turn on my computer it looks like linux mint tries to load briefly, but then my screen goes completely black. No cursor. No anything. I cannot seem to find a way to even open a terminal with the keyboard... I am at a complete loss.

What can I do? Thank you very much for the help.

joshontech
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Black Screen on Turn On, after Choosing Nvidia - Macbook Pro

Post by joshontech » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:13 pm

I am having the same issue with my macbook pro. Its end of life for mine and I'm trying to keep it alive with mint. Mine is a 2010 and the nouveau drivers work great but I would like the nvidia drivers to work. My Mac turns on than the white screen shows and for a brief second the white blinking line shows up than nothing all black screen even the backlight turns off.

joshontech
Level 1
Level 1

Post by joshontech » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:57 am

I have found a solution to this issue earlier today. This got the Nvidia drivers 340.107 drivers working on my mid 2010 Macbook pro. I have not been able to get the Intel graphics working with it but the Nvidia drivers have really increased battery life.

1. Install Ubuntu in UEFI mode with the Nvidia drivers
I will not go into details here because there are lots of articles on the web showing you how to do this and end up with the nouveau drivers running your machine hot or with the black screen after installing the Nvidia drivers (e.g. www.rodsbooks.com/ubuntu-efi).

Please note however that the following instructions assume you have successfully installed and booted in UEFI mode. You can verify that by checking for existence of the directory /sys/firmware which is only created after booting in EFI mode.

2. Find the right PCI-E bus identifiers
We need both the IDs for the graphics card and the PCI-E bridge that it is connected to. Issue the following command in a shell:
~$ sudo lshw -businfo -class bridge -class display
pci@0000:00:00.0 bridge MCP89 HOST Bridge
pci@0000:00:03.0 bridge MCP89 LPC Bridge
pci@0000:00:0e.0 bridge NVIDIA Corporation
pci@0000:00:15.0 bridge NVIDIA Corporation
pci@0000:00:16.0 bridge NVIDIA Corporation
pci@0000:00:17.0 >!!< bridge MCP89 PCI Express Bridge
pci@0000:04:00.0 >!!< display MCP89 GeForce 320M
Have a look at (1) the line saying display and (2) the line with bridge right before that display line. Write down the PCI-E bus ids (format XX:YY.Z) of the bridge device (here 00:17.0) and the display device (here 04:00.0) and remember which is which. Note: Those IDs may be different on your machine, depending on your Mac model and revision.

3. Create a GRUB script for setting the PCI-E registers during boot
Fire up a text editor with sudo nano /etc/grub.d/01_enable_vga.conf and copy/paste the content below. Replace 00:17.0 with the PCI-E ID of your bridge device noted in step 2. Replace 04:00.0 with the PCI-E ID of your display device noted in step 2.
cat << EOF
setpci -s "00:17.0" 3e.b=8
setpci -s "04:00.0" 04.b=7
EOF
Finally, make the created file executable and update your grub config files using the following TWO commands.
~$ sudo chmod 755 /etc/grub.d/01_enable_vga.conf
~$ sudo update-grub

4. Reboot and check
If, after rebooting, the register values have been set to 8 (bridge device) and 7 (display device), everything went fine:
~$ sudo setpci -s "00:17.0" 3e.b
~$ sudo setpci -s "04:00.0" 04.b

5. Install Nvidia drivers and enjoy!
Use Ubuntu's Additional drivers GUI to install the Nvidia drivers. I recommend following this article on how to enable brightness controls because it doesn't work out of the box.

krasimirpetrov
Level 1
Level 1

Post by krasimirpetrov » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:57 am

@joshontech thanks for sharing the solution.

I do not have a Macbook, but I had a problem with nvidia. When nvidia was selected and the laptop was asleep when trying to turn it on, a black screen appeared and had to be restarted. I did what you described in the post and everything was fine. I write all this because it can be of benefit to someone with a similar problem.

Thanks, again!

Return to “Installation & Boot”