Problem installing Linux Mint 19

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AquaMineral

Problem installing Linux Mint 19

Post by AquaMineral »

First i have to say that English is not my native languaje.

I just tried to install the newest versión of Linux Mint and i have the following issue:

I mounted the .iso with MBR and BIOS/UEFI , then i tried to install it in my laptop Asus K541UJ-GO369T. When i select Linux Mint 19 Tara Cinamon 64 bits and i open: Install linux mint desktop shortcout --> "Low Disk Space. This Computer has only 0 bytes disk space remaining.

What should i do?

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux-Bill
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Problem installing Linux Mint 19

Post by Linux-Bill »

You are not alone. I have wasted the day trying to get 19 installed alongside Windows 10. No Go! It will install and take out Windows along the way. Does not matter what I selected during the install. Fortunately, I clone my drives, so nothing is lost except time when the installs fail.

At this point, I am done and will return to 18.3 until the dust settles and the side-by-side install error gets repaired.

No comments pro or con about 19 - as I have yet to get it to run.
Palladini
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Palladini »

I too am now trying to install Linux Mint 19, it is so slow it is ridiculous!
[b]I love Linux Mint 21.1 Vanessa Cinnamon[/b]
Using Linux Mint since 2007, not programming smart, last program language I learned was called Basic on a Commodore 64
Linux-Bill
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Linux-Bill »

Mint is supposed to make life easier for new users. Not with this distro. I just wasted another couple of hours trying to get it installed alongside Windows 10. Wound up having to reclone the Windows drive each time. Pity on the poor soul that does not have a complete backup to bounce back from.

I cannot emphasize enough the importance of cloning your drives for REAL backup.
AquaMineral

Post by AquaMineral »

Back to 18.3 already until they fix this mess
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Palladini wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:59 pm I too am now trying to install Linux Mint 19, it is so slow it is ridiculous!
I have it running on VB with 18.3 Cinnamon,

but as you said, it is slow.............
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

AquaMineral wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:25 pm First i have to say that English is not my native languaje.

I just tried to install the newest versión of Linux Mint and i have the following issue:

I mounted the .iso with MBR and BIOS/UEFI , then i tried to install it in my laptop Asus K541UJ-GO369T. When i select Linux Mint 19 Tara Cinamon 64 bits and i open: Install linux mint desktop shortcout --> "Low Disk Space. This Computer has only 0 bytes disk space remaining.

What should i do?

Thanks.
Hi Aqua,
You will get a lot of good advice and help on this forum.
By the way, your English is excellent.
Anyway here is what I would recommend that you do.

First, run your live DVD or USB image on your laptop before attempting to install Linux Mint. Ensure your hardware is supported and everything works - it won't be as snappy as running the installed version on your hard drive but you can get a good idea of how thing will work. Most of the time, at least for me, Linux Mint works out of the box. But if you do run into issues, again, there are plenty of knowledgeable folks here willing to help.

Second, read the Installation Guide
https://linuxmint.com/documentation.php
Are you trying to install Mint along with another OS like Windows or are you trying to install Mint on your entire hard drive?

Third, provide the output from this command in the terminal

Code: Select all

inxi -Fx
Even if you are not sure how to do that we can walk you through that as well - it's not always easy to tell how much folks know about computers so please don't take offense if you have years of computer experience.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

I recently installed Mint 19 XFCE Beta on a Win10 computer for a friend. I wanted to use a separate /home partition, so I created all the needed partitions before starting the install, then chose Something Else to do the install. Worked fine.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
AquaMineral

Post by AquaMineral »

majpooper wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:30 am
AquaMineral wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:25 pm First i have to say that English is not my native languaje.

What should i do?

Thanks.
Hi Aqua,
You will get a lot of good advice and help on this forum.
By the way, your English is excellent.
Anyway here is what I would recommend that you do.

First, run your live DVD or USB image on your laptop before attempting to install Linux Mint. Ensure your hardware is supported and everything works - it won't be as snappy as running the installed version on your hard drive but you can get a good idea of how thing will work. Most of the time, at least for me, Linux Mint works out of the box. But if you do run into issues, again, there are plenty of knowledgeable folks here willing to help.

Second, read the Installation Guide
https://linuxmint.com/documentation.php
Are you trying to install Mint along with another OS like Windows or are you trying to install Mint on your entire hard drive?

Third, provide the output from this command in the terminal

inxi -Fx
Even if you are not sure how to do that we can walk you through that as well - it's not always easy to tell how much folks know about computers so please don't take offense if you have years of computer experience.
Thanks for the reply all the help that i can get is welcome. I will try what you just said when i have the time and i'll post the results.
Btw is a full Linux Mint installation. No other OS.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

I've installed Mint 19 Cinnamon on a USB drive and it is very fast? It's so much like my 18.3 install I probably will not upgrade. I have a feeling some users that are having problems are running into hardware issues using older computers.
AquaMineral

Post by AquaMineral »

Pepi wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:13 am I've installed Mint 19 Cinnamon on a USB drive and it is very fast? It's so much like my 18.3 install I probably will not upgrade. I have a feeling some users that are having problems are running into hardware issues using older computers.
Is not an old computer, 2016
Linux-Bill
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Linux-Bill »

I am running an i5 on an MSI MB with 8 G memory. The drive is an SSD. The whole package is about 6 months old. Nope - not an old computer here either.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Linux-Bill wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:10 pm You are not alone. I have wasted the day trying to get 19 installed alongside Windows 10. No Go! It will install and take out Windows along the way.
Where's the down side...? :lol:

In comments to all, it appears the current version of Mint is having problems with ASUS computers, for some reason. There have already been a couple threads about people having trouble installing on ASUS MBs. Since I don't play with computers near as much as I used to, my immediate thought is that perhaps ASUS' implementation of UEFI isn't what it should be, or that Mint's implementation of UEFI isn't copesthetic with ASUS. Something for the developers to look into. If you haven't already, post a comment on the Linux Mint Start Page for the desktop version you are using.

Speed...not too many issues with speed with the Beta...it is no slower than it became after I installed all the patches and workarounds for Intel processors on my 17.3 installation. I think Intel is more the culprit here. Unless you're running an AMD processor, in which case all bets are off.

At any rate, go to the start page, find the desktop version you installed, and post a comment with what you found. That's how the folks at Mint fix things!
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
Pato

Post by Pato »

What should i do?

Thanks.

I have the same issue with the same notebook. How can developers improve this bug?
I hope not in 19.1.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

https://distrowatch.com/

You guys installing this, or the Beta release? I just went to check Distrowatch and discovered they released 19 yesterday.

I'm running the Beta, although it may have been updated to 19 now.
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
galaxy0815

Post by galaxy0815 »

I'm running the Beta, although it may have been updated to 19 now.
There were always updates during the beta cycle. The last update was mintupdate version 5.3.9 to 5.4.0. Short time later the upload of the images began.

I have installed LM 19 beta at June 8th 2018.

$ find /var/cache/apt -name mintupdate* -exec ls -l {} \;
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 549536 Jun 26 13:17 /var/cache/apt/archives/mintupdate_5.4.0_all.deb                                      
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 548176 Jun 21 09:08 /var/cache/apt/archives/mintupdate_5.3.9_all.deb
On June 26th I made an upgrade and saw mintupdate 5.4.0 in the repo. In that moment I thought, now LM19 is stable. One day later the stable images were on heanet.ie. So you can say: on June 26th the beta status changed to stable status, if you had made all updates. Nothing more to do.
Palladini wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:59 pm I too am now trying to install Linux Mint 19, it is so slow it is ridiculous!
On my hardware it's faster than LM 18.3. Two minutes to boot. One minute base system, one minute KDE. The KDE Plasma 5.12 desktop is faster than Plasma 5.8 and needs less memory. In this moment 1.9 GB with five open applications including Firefox with five open tabs. Yesterday were an upgrade from Plasma version 5.12.5 to 5.12.6. The mainboard were from 2016 and the graphics card from 2011.This tandem works perfect with LM 19 and KDE Plasma desktop.

I have no answer what's the problem is with Asus K541UJ Laptop. Maybe your M.2-SSD or SATA-SSD configuration is incompatible with the Kernel 4.15
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/ke ... 9f8d5d54bd
LM 19 stable starts with the Kernel 4.15.0-20 and yesterday there were an upgrade to 4.15.0-23
I think there are greater problems with Kernel 4.15.
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/57331
Curious. Kernel 4.15 isn't in the list. It's out of maintenance.
https://www.kernel.org
Why did Canonical do this? I think they are waiting for 4.19 which will be the next LTS kernel, whereas they are patching an eol-kernel 4.15.

Waitung for LM 19.1 seems a better way. Use LM 18.3 for a while, if LM 19 wouldn't be installable.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

galaxy0815 wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:56 pm So you can say: on June 26th the beta status changed to stable status, if you had made all updates. Nothing more to do.
Not quite - see the additional instructions for Beta users on the release announcement - https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3597.
galaxy0815 wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:56 pm Why did Canonical do this? I think they are waiting for 4.19 which will be the next LTS kernel, whereas they are patching an eol-kernel 4.15.
Canonical have always maintained there own schedule of kernel support separate to kernel.org - they will be supporting 4.15 as the 18.04 LTS kernel all the way to 2023

See - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/Support

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/FAQ/UbuntuDelta - gives an overview of what differentiates the Canonical maintained kernels from upstream.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
MasterBoy

Post by MasterBoy »

I also have same error and could not continue. After restart previous grub install was broken and I could not boot properly. Revert to 18.3 and everything is OK now.
Var-mint
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Coincidental Solution? Re installation problems of Linux Mint 19

Post by Var-mint »

This is a general comment regarding difficulties installing Mint 19 Tara, and not directed to anyone specifically.
Tried installing Mint 19 Tara xfce 64 bit about eight (8) times on one HP laptop and about four (4) times on another HP laptop (neither is ?very old).
I kept getting the message that stated something similar to "Grub wasn't installed to the ESP partition, without this it won't boot".
This may have been a coincidence but, previously I reformatted the ESP partition to fat 32 and the boot and esp flags were automatically set,
I reformatted the ESP partition to fat 16 which flagged the partition as msftdata so I was forced to flag the partition with the boot and esp flags.
This immediately worked for one Laptop, I may try it on the other laptop.
Var-mint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Var-mint »

Tried it on the other HP Laptop; difference: I wasn't forced to set the boot and esp flags on the ESP partition, but I did reformat it to Fat 16.
It installed fine ????????
What have we learned - I don't know?

Return to “Installation & Boot”