Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
deepakdeshp
Level 15
Level 15

Aptik tutorial

Post by deepakdeshp » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:20 pm

Hello,
With Mint 19 announced I plan to follow this guide to backup all my ppas and applications.
https://www.howtogeek.com/206454/how-to ... ing-aptik/
I would be restoring them with installation of Mint 19, Cinnamon. I am running Mint 18.3 Cinnamon at present.
Any other solutions will be thankfully accepted
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.2 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

Sir Charles
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Aptik tutorial

Post by Sir Charles » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:24 pm

The recent versions of Aptik has been split in two packages:aptik andaptik-gtk. So you would need to install the latter as well if you need the GUI.
I suppose that's one of the ironies of life, doing the wrong thing at the right moment -C.C.

deepakdeshp
Level 15
Level 15

Post by deepakdeshp » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:17 pm

Marziano wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:24 pm
The recent versions of Aptik has been split in two packages:aptik andaptik-gtk. So you would need to install the latter as well if you need the GUI.
You are right. I was offered to install aptik and aptik-gtk upgrades hence aptik launches without any problem. The link I used above is quite old while the ap UI has changed a lot. Surprisingly there is no help
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.2 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

keithterrill
Level 1
Level 1

Post by keithterrill » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:02 pm

deepakdeshp wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:20 pm
Hello,
With Mint 19 announced I plan to follow this guide to backup all my ppas and applications.
https://www.howtogeek.com/206454/how-to ... ing-aptik/
I would be restoring them with installation of Mint 19, Cinnamon. I am running Mint 18.3 Cinnamon at present.
Any other solutions will be thankfully accepted
Did this work? Is this better then using just the Backup Tool's Backup software selection/restore? I had used it to save the software selection on an Mint 18 and then restore it on a new Mint 19.... but as soon as I select the .list the Backup tool crashes.

So... did aptik work for you?

yertchuk
Level 1
Level 1

Post by yertchuk » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:29 pm

keithterrill wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:02 pm
So... did aptik work for you?
I was curious to see if Aptik really did everything that's promised. So I saved my Mint 19 Cinnamon setup, using all the basic default selections. Then I loaded a fresh installation on Mint 19 Cinnamon onto another computer, actually a really feeble machine using an Intel Atom processor. Both Mint installations use legacy boot, and everything in one partition, no separate home or swap.

Loaded Aptik onto the Atom machine and proceeded to restore from the saved backup. It took a while, but I ended up with a full duplicate of the original system: apps, settings, home folder, etc. It was quite uncanny to see the app logos gradually appear in the panel. So, yes, Aptik appears to work!

AZgl1500
Level 10
Level 10
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:42 am

I have used Aptik to "clone" my original 18.3 Cinnamon install several times, and onto different PCs, 4 different PCs.

it performed flawlessly for me, giving me instant clones of the original on each new PC.

The immense amount of time saved to set up a new install is negated....

There is no way, we can remember, or hope to write down, all of the little tweaks that we do to get to our current desktop....

Aptik is a Godsend, and I sent my donation to TJ in appreciation for what he has done for us.

keithterrill
Level 1
Level 1

Post by keithterrill » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:45 am

AZgl1500 wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:42 am
I have used Aptik to "clone" my original 18.3 Cinnamon install several times, and onto different PCs, 4 different PCs.

it performed flawlessly for me, giving me instant clones of the original on each new PC.

The immense amount of time saved to set up a new install is negated....

There is no way, we can remember, or hope to write down, all of the little tweaks that we do to get to our current desktop....

Aptik is a Godsend, and I sent my donation to TJ in appreciation for what he has done for us.
I am not attempting to clone my system. What I want to do is upgrade to a new version (from 18 to 19). But, I want to use a Fresh Install. Then I want to have the packages that I had installed on the old version to be installed on the new version from the new versions distros.

I did not get rid of the original disk the old 18 is on. I hooked it up, booted, installed aptik, and then did the recommended backups (as best I could understand), then shut down, pulled the old 18, put a new drive in, booted up a live version of 19, installed fresh to the new drive, rebooted into the new fresh install of 19, updated the distro, installed aptik on the new install, attempted to have aptik install the packages.... and it sort of worked. I have some. Some did not complete.

I am going to put the older 18 back into the system. I will see about retrying this again in the near future, perhaps this weekend. I am doing this on my "play" computer as practice before I upgrade the home computer we use everyday. I want to get it right before I bring my other systems forward. By the way, the one I am mostly concerned about is running Mint 17.3 and since I have a number of users accessing it, I really want to get it right.

Thank-you for the information.

keithterrill
Level 1
Level 1

Post by keithterrill » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:48 am

AZgl1500 wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:42 am
BTW: I am very glad to know that you have sent a donation to TJ for a program that works for you. I was big believer in shareware, back in the day. It still lives on in the Linux world FOSS, etc.... Good Job.

:-)

AZgl1500
Level 10
Level 10
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:07 pm

TJ says for the same OS/DE

I have not tried to use it from 18.3 to 19, although it would be easy enough to give that a try.

Return to “Installation & Boot”