Upgraded from 18.3 to 19, fails to login.

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
darkstrike
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Upgraded from 18.3 to 19, fails to login.

Post by darkstrike »

From what I had learned, the issue was mostly a problem with the Mesa package which has been fixed. I took the Upgrade Manager route with my spare desktop the other week and all was fine aside from the usual small niggles!

Janni
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Janni »

For the record I did try my second attempt today upgrading to 19. In the dryrun (mintupgrade check) it all seemed fine.
After download (which took a long time) and install I got a lot of error messages about error in gconf2.

Once again Timeshift saved me and I'm back on 18.3

Now I guess I will consider clean install and best practice for NOT having to delete my home directory and all my program settings/tweaks.
Wonder if Aptik will do this "magically" for me.....

Janni
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Janni »

Hi all,

After two failed attempts at upgrade I decided to go for migration. This time I succeeded and are now happily at Mint 19 :D

Since steps required are not more difficult than the upgrade I thought I'd share the steps I did.

1. To be on the safeside, start with backup. I did one full clone of my drive with Clonezilla and a snapshot with Timeshift.
2. Install Aptik and Aptik-GTK. This is a migration utility made by the same guy who made Timeshift.
3. With Aptik I backed up everything except /home since I have this on a separate partition
3. Boot up in Mint Live and install. In advanced mode I choose to format root partition and install there. I set my /home partition where my files are without formatting. Installation went very fast.
4. Booted in new Mint 19 environment and installed Aptik and Aptik-GTK again. Then I restored my backup and rebooted.

Now I'm at Mint 19 and everything is back :D :D
The above steps saved me a ton of work. I have upgraded since v.17 in 2015 so my settings and tweaks go way back. You know, things you forget is standard that you have made shortcut or commands for. Long story short, I wanted to avoid fresh install at all cost.
Only thing I needed to do was to set my other monitor as default, and choose Nvidia driver for my GTX1070 card.

Return to “Installation & Boot”