Disable mint-upgrade snapshot check?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dragon2611

Disable mint-upgrade snapshot check?

Post by dragon2611 »

Whilst I get the mint devs want to try and protect users data as much as possible during an upgrade I'd really like to override the snapshot check when trying to do an upgrade from 18.3 to 19.

The machine I was wanting to upgrade is a VM and it also has a full backup weekly, if the upgrade screws up I can revert it at the hypervisor level (It's running on proxmox)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
renegade2k
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Disable mint-upgrade snapshot check?

Post by renegade2k »

Would like to know the same.

Got a few systems, which has a 60GB SSD only and which i use just for surfing, nothing more.

A snapshot on these systems is wasted time and space/bandwith, so just want to override it. When the upgrade fails, i reinstall it clean, so duesn't matter ...

Plz help :(
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, renegade2k. Hello, dragon2611.

I have done a "mintupgrade" from Mint 18.3 to Mint 19 without being bullied by "mintupgrade check" about Timeshift.
I have not created a Timeshift snapshot before upgrading to Mint 19.
When Mint 18.3 had installed Timeshift, I had inspected the application briefly, disabled system snapshots completely and a day later uninstalled Timeshift.
In accordance with this, inside Update Manager the setting to warn about Timeshift snapshots has been disabled as well.

Best regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
bartolo

Post by bartolo »

The mintupgrade script checks the existence of /etc/timeshift.json. Just create it

Code: Select all

touch /etc/timeshift.json
https://github.com/linuxmint/mintupgrad ... pgrade#L89
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

bartolo wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:34 am The mintupgrade script checks the existence of /etc/timeshift.json. Just create it

Code: Select all

touch /etc/timeshift.json
https://github.com/linuxmint/mintupgrad ... pgrade#L89
+1 Good catch!

Return to “Installation & Boot”