SOLVED (IGNORE): Is there a way NOT to update to Linux Mint 19?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pjc123
Level 2
Level 2

SOLVED (IGNORE): Is there a way NOT to update to Linux Mint 19?

Post by pjc123 »

What I mean is that I never upgrade any OS to a major release for a couple of months until things stabilize. I would like to stay on Mint 18.3 and get its updates, but when I booted in today and ran the menu's System Tools > Software Update, it listed 107 updates (I keep up with updates, so this is unusual), so am I correct in assuming that this is Linux Mint 19 update? If so, is there a way to just show 18.3 updates?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Is there a way NOT to update to Lnux Mint 19?

Post by Moem »

No, the updates in the Update Manager will not get you to Mint 19. They're updates, not an upgrade; these are two different things. So if you just keep on keeping on, and keep your Mint 18.3 updated, you will not be upgraded to Mint 19.

The process to do an in place upgrade is described here. Take a look, and you'll know that there is no way that all would happen accidentally.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
pjc123
Level 2
Level 2

Post by pjc123 »

Why is there 107 updates today then? I was completely up to date as of yesterday. Are these some kind of updates in preparation for Mint 19? Now that I think back, there was an "apt" update with just a couple updates earlier this morning, so maybe that is the reason; maybe that fixed something with apt.
Last edited by pjc123 on Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

pjc123 wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:14 am Why is there 107 updates today then?
I'm unsure; I haven't seen them yet. I got a couple today but nowhere near that many. Have you looked at the descriptions and seen anything that jumped out at you? Your theory about 'apt' seems reasonable but I'm not an expert.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
pjc123
Level 2
Level 2

Post by pjc123 »

Well, for one thing I am still seeing the the 3.10.0 series of kernel in the list. As I recall, Linux Mint 19 has the 4.15 kernel series, so I imagine that indicates that these are not Mint 19 files. Also, yes, I do know that you specifically have to run a command to do a major update, it is just that I have never seen so many updates the same time as a major update, and with a system that is already up to date. Just weird. The only thing I can come up with is it is related to that "apt" update somehow.
pjc123
Level 2
Level 2

Post by pjc123 »

SOLVED. We all do something stupid, this was my day. I am working and booting multiple laptops and OS's and I was on the wrong computer (OS). Sorry about that.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: SOLVED (IGNORE): Is there a way NOT to update to Linux Mint 19?

Post by Moem »

Don't worry about it, we're all human!

AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

pjc123 wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:14 am Why is there 107 updates today then? I was completely up to date as of yesterday. Are these some kind of updates in preparation for Mint 19? Now that I think back, there was an "apt" update with just a couple updates earlier this morning, so maybe that is the reason; maybe that fixed something with apt.

I updated on the 3rd, and looked just now to see what is available now, only 4.
Firefox, mesa, apt, libdrm

I have my laptop set to auto update at 6 pm every day, except for kernels.
for kernels, I want manual control to see if anyone is having troubles with them, and to document such a change in Timeshift.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint

Return to “Installation & Boot”