Upgraded, cinnamon bugged [solved]

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mrmajik45

Upgraded, cinnamon bugged [solved]

Post by mrmajik45 »

So I upgraded from 18.3 to 19. Right off the bat after i restarted i get a Cinnamon is in fallback mode error, i restart cinnamon, it doesn't crash again, but my theme is gone and settings / driver manager won't open. Please help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Upgraded, cinnamon bugged

Post by Pierre »

is there any error when opening the Driver Manager ?.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
mrmajik45

Post by mrmajik45 »

Nope. Just nothing. Also, Cinnamon will keep going to fallback mode. ERROR:

Code: Select all

File "/usr/share/cinnamon/cinnamon-settings/cinnamon-settings.py", line 607, in <module>
    window = MainWindow()
  File "/usr/share/cinnamon/cinnamon-settings/cinnamon-settings.py", line 243, in __init__
    for module in modules:
  File "/usr/share/cinnamon/cinnamon-settings/modules/cs_applets.py", line 4, in <module>
    from ExtensionCore import ManageSpicesPage, DownloadSpicesPage
  File "/usr/share/cinnamon/cinnamon-settings/bin/ExtensionCore.py", line 35, in <module>
    curr_ver = subprocess.check_output(['cinnamon', '--version']).decode("utf-8").splitlines()[0].split(' ')[1]
  File "/usr/lib/python3.6/subprocess.py", line 336, in check_output
    **kwargs).stdout
  File "/usr/lib/python3.6/subprocess.py", line 418, in run
    output=stdout, stderr=stderr)
subprocess.CalledProcessError: Command '['cinnamon', '--version']' returned non-zero exit status 127.
outhud

Post by outhud »

What is the output if you run cinnamon --version from the terminal?
mrmajik45

Post by mrmajik45 »

Code: Select all

cinnamon: error while loading shared libraries: libGL.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
outhud

Post by outhud »

I had this exact same error yesterday. Trying to remember how I fixed it.

That libGL.so is related to the libgl1-mesa-dev package.

So I think I had to downgrade that. The version I had was from a 3rd party PPA. I had to downgrade it to the version from the official repo.

If you can open Software Sources, look in the Downgrade Foreign Packages section, this had a list of many packages like this I needed to bring back inline with the bionic repo.

I used sudo apt install --reinstall libgl1-mesa-dev=18.0.0~rc5-1ubuntu1 (which is what the Downgrade Foreign Packages tool would have done anyway I think. (You need to specify the version like I have here, you can get that information from the Downgrade Foreign Packages tool. If you just uninstall the package and reinstall it, you'll remove a whole load of other dependencies and it will be a mess.)

But there were a few other related packages that I needed to downgrade also.

It was a tricky one to fix on my system, and I cannot advise on how to fix it on your system, my advice might only break things more.

If it was me, I would I run the Downgrade Foreign Packages tool and let it do its work, but it may break things more depending on your system. But worst-case-scenario you can boot from a live USB and use your timeshift backup of 18.3 to go back. I had to do this at some point yesterday and it saved me.

This fixed a lot of the issues for me. Cinnamon no longer starts in fallback mode after I do this:

sudo apt install --reinstall libegl1 libegl1-mesa=18.0.0~rc5-1ubuntu1 libgbm1=18.0.0~rc5-1ubuntu1 libgl1-mesa-dri=18.0.0~rc5-1ubuntu1 libgl1-mesa-glx=18.0.0~rc5-1ubuntu1 libglapi-mesa=18.0.0~rc5-1ubuntu1 libgles2-mesa=18.0.0~rc5-1ubuntu1 libosmesa6=18.0.0~rc5-1ubuntu1 libwayland-egl1-mesa=18.0.0~rc5-1ubuntu1 libxatracker2=18.0.0~rc5-1ubuntu1
Last edited by outhud on Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dorian_B
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Dorian_B »

I confirm that there are issues with upgrading Linux Mint from 18.3 to 19, starting yesterday, July 5. Instead of upgrading Mint Linux with the Cinnamon interface, it upgrades it with the Mate interface + that at the first reset, after the upgrade to Linux Mint 19, appears the written logo, "Ubuntu 19" instead of the logo "Linux Mint".

I use Linux Mint Cinnamon.

These things I have reported to Clem here viewtopic.php?f=46&t=272418, https://github.com/linuxmint/mintupgrade/issues/14 and in private.

I apologize for my bad English.

Dorian B.
outhud

Post by outhud »

Dorian_B wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:17 amat the first reset, after the upgrade to Linux Mint 19, appears the written logo, "Ubuntu 19" instead of the logo "Linux Mint".
Yes I see this too. But I see it on every boot. "Ubuntu 19"

I am gone back to 18.3 for now, trying to fix a few things there, downgrading to packages from xenial / sylvia repos instead of 3rd party PPAs and I will try again then.
Dorian_B
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Dorian_B »

outhud wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:25 am Yes I see this too. But I see it on every boot. "Ubuntu 19"

... I will try again then.
I suggest not upgrading Linux Mint Cinnamon to version 19 until Clem confirms or not something here: https://github.com/linuxmint/mintupgrade/issues/14 or in private.

To me, "Ubuntu 19" disappears after installing the kernel 4.15.0.24.26 , but Cinnamon crashes permanently, because during the upgrade the Mate interface is installing (???!!!) with the Mate menu (???!!!).

Dorian B.
outhud

Post by outhud »

Dorian_B wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:49 am during the upgrade the Mate interface is installing (???!!!) with the Mate menu (???!!!).
What is that package called, the Mate one? Did the upgrade list cinnamon as one of the packages that will be removed (like for me)?

I don't think there is much Clem or LM can do about this. Step 1 of the upgrade is to stay on 18.3 if it works. Clean install of 19 should be fine too. But I don't expect for there to be a perfect upgrade path that works on everyone's LM 18.3 system all over the world. Each persons system is different and the upgrade is changing thousands of packages in one step. Problems are guaranteed. It's probably not possible to make an upgrade path that will work for everyone. Issues like ours will come up, and we just try to muddle through and help each other fix them. It's the Linux way :lol:
Dorian_B
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Dorian_B »

outhud wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:03 am What is that package called, the Mate one? Did the upgrade list cinnamon as one of the packages that will be removed (like for me)?

I don't think there is much Clem or LM can do about this. ...
1. To me, after upgraded to Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon, there are installed: mate-menu, mate-desktop, mate-common ... (???!!!). I use Linux Mint Cinnamon with the Romanian language.
2. Sure. I think there are problems with the linuxmint.com server. During the upgrade, appears: "Ignore: 6 http://linuxmint.com/mint/packages tara InRelease".
outhud

Post by outhud »

Dorian_B wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:34 am
outhud wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:03 am What is that package called, the Mate one? Did the upgrade list cinnamon as one of the packages that will be removed (like for me)?

1. To me, after upgraded to Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon, there are installed: mate-menu, mate-desktop, mate-common ... (???!!!). I use Linux Mint Cinnamon with the Romanian language.
2. Sure. I think there are problems with the linuxmint.com server. During the upgrade, appears: "Ignore: 6 http://linuxmint.com/mint/packages tara InRelease".
You're right. Those 2 points do look like problems. Sorry I can't help more, hopefully someone from LM team can answer those for you.
mrmajik45

Post by mrmajik45 »

So I got Cinnamon to work but, it's in software rendering mode. Also, my wi-fi device doesn't have it's drivers
jclausius

Post by jclausius »

mrmajik45 wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:28 am So I got Cinnamon to work but, it's in software rendering mode. Also, my wi-fi device doesn't have it's drivers
Did you check the option during install to install third party drivers for wi-fi and video?
mrmajik45

Post by mrmajik45 »

I upgraded, I didn't reinstall. I did press that when I installed the OS originally.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

outhud wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:16 am
Dorian_B wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:34 am

You're right. Those 2 points do look like problems. Sorry I can't help more, hopefully someone from LM team can answer those for you.
Those mate packages are default in a Cinnamon install - they provide the fallback desktop if Cinnamon has a fatal crash....
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
mrmajik45

Post by mrmajik45 »

bump
jethron

Post by jethron »

I ran into this problem as well; for me, the culprit was that I was using the 'LibreOffice Fresh' PPA from https://launchpad.net/~libreoffice/+archive/ubuntu/ppa
For some reason it includes a bunch of the OpenGL related libraries, that, post-upgrade, failed a few dependency checks and so didn't work properly for Cinnamon.

The 'Downgrade foreign packages' feature from Software Sources (under Maintenance) lists any packages that might be like this on your system -- though the actual downgrade feature doesn't work for me in Tara -- but using the list from there I manually downgraded all affected packages via aptitude and eventually got Cinnamon and everything else installed properly. If you've managed to break X11 completely while trying to fix this like I did (I had an error in syslog that libGL.so couldn't be found, and in trying to install libgl1 alongside the foreign libraries, APT helpfully removed cinnamon), you won't be able to use Software Sources to get the list, but all the packages were in the 'Obsolete and Locally Created Packages' section of aptitude, so try running through there and downgrading things to the version in bionic.

For the 'software rendering' message that then appeared once Cinnamon was working properly again, I checked cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log and noticed glamor was failing to initialize. This turned out to be the package libegl-mesa0 wasn't installed (though libegl-mesa0:i386 was?), and installing that and rebooting got hardware acceleration working properly again. So if you've got it going in software rendering mode I'd look for OpenGL-related packages and make sure you've got the important ones.

I think the upgrade guide should have a step to use the 'Downgrade foreign packages' feature from Software Sources, doing that first would have saved me a lot of trouble!
mrmajik45

Post by mrmajik45 »

You fixed my problem thanks
outhud

Post by outhud »

jethron wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:18 pm The 'Downgrade foreign packages' feature from Software Sources (under Maintenance) lists any packages that might be like this on your system -- though the actual downgrade feature doesn't work for me in Tara -- but using the list from there I manually downgraded all affected packages via aptitude and eventually got Cinnamon and everything else installed properly.
Had the same problem. You click on downgrade, and then you get an empty screen with just the warning? Do you know how this might be fixed? It seems be an issue with "Vte.Terminal.feed_child() takes exactly 2 arguments (3 given)" but I do not get this error on the LM19 live USB.
jethron wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:18 pmI think the upgrade guide should have a step to use the 'Downgrade foreign packages' feature from Software Sources, doing that first would have saved me a lot of trouble!
I agree entirely, I thought the same.

Return to “Installation & Boot”