Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Ikoth
Level 1
Level 1

Failed upgrade to 19

Post by Ikoth » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:12 pm

Hi all,

ran the upgrade checks (from 18.3) successfully. Took TimeShift backup. Downloaded upgrade files. Upgrade appeared to work OK apart from some codec errors.

Now when I boot, I get the Mint logo for 20 seconds or so, then a black screen with flashing cursor top left, and nothing else.

Linux newbie, so no idea how to proceed. Is there a safe mode I can boot to, or a way to see what's loading (and failing) during boot? Or a log file?

If I grab an ISO and try a reinstall will I lose everything?

Thanks.

outhud
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Failed upgrade to 19

Post by outhud » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:22 pm

Worst-case you can boot from a USB with the LM 19 iso on it, and use Timeshift on that to restore your working 18.3 install.

Can you press left or right straight away once the LM logo comes up during boot, it should give you some more info about what's happening.

trytip
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Failed upgrade to 19

Post by trytip » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:13 pm

TBH i have never been able to successfully upgrade any ubuntu since 12.04, but that is only because i do major changes to root config files and also amount to a tons of ppa. even now i have ppa from ubuntu lucid and that's 2010 :D . a clean install is the only way for me , you have to spend the time to figure out what you need to save on other drives especially if you don't have a root/home/swap installation

Return to “Installation & Boot”