[Solved] Warning: In-place upgrade from Mint 18.3 to Mint 19 partially broken by a Mesa Update

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
JeremyB
Level 19
Level 19

Re: [Solved] Warning: In-place upgrade from Mint 18.3 to Mint 19 partially broken by a Mesa Update

Post by JeremyB » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:13 pm

After I saw Clem's fix in mintupgrade, I didn't think an announce was necessary as mintupgrade uses the main repos that all the others sync to in Ubuntu and Linux Mint, no chance of them being 2 weeks behind. I also saw some code in mintupgrade that makes me think mintupgrade will fail on error if there is no timeshift backup just like Clem changed it so it would fail if the Mesa version was 18.0.5

After being on numerous forums over the years I am no longer surprised by the number of people that don't read sticky posts. In ubuntuforums.org networking section there are 2 good sticky posts, one is how to install a driver for Broadcom wifi devices and the other is Before posting in Networking and wireless and it has links and instructions for the wireless info script, the script is very good and I even have people run it here as it is easier than posting 20 lines of commands to run in terminal and it will mask MAC addresses and some other info.

gm10
Level 11
Level 11

Re: [Solved] Warning: In-place upgrade from Mint 18.3 to Mint 19 partially broken by a Mesa Update

Post by gm10 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:24 pm

JeremyB wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:13 pm
After I saw Clem's fix in mintupgrade, I didn't think an announce was necessary as mintupgrade uses the main repos that all the others sync to in Ubuntu and Linux Mint, no chance of them being 2 weeks behind.
My point wasn't about mintupgrade using out of date repos, but rather that mintupgrade itself could be out of date because it gets upgraded via the locally configured mirror.

Fully agree with you about stickies getting ignored though. People don't even read the red "how to get help". It's just the way of forum life. Stickies are what you link to others with a RTFM style comment. ;)

itowill
Level 1
Level 1

Post by itowill » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:38 pm

Hi guys
Hello can someone fill me in on the actual solution I have Cinnamon and Mate edition environs , however I cant load xreader or mesa is installed 18.05 but according to this there is no downgrade path.

What should I other like myself try. The Timeshift Snapshot I took doesn't seem to be working to go 18.3 Is there a way to do fresh install without deleting my /home documents i only have about 40GB used out of 120 but they are taxinfo , work docs , itunes films etc i don't want to delete. Ubuntu-One closed i try not to use goggle drive because the privacy issues any ideas that would help I will copy to another thread if that is necessary. I am not complete noob to LM however wasnt using it in last 5 years

MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:40 pm

itowill wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:38 pm
Is there a way to do fresh install without deleting my /home documents i only have about 40GB used out of 120
I'm sure one of the gurus (I am anything but :lol: ) will be along with a proper and correct answer.

But if you are only concerned with documents, audio, video, miscellenous downloaded/created files, and the like... What I would do would be to shrink one or more current partitions so that I could then create a new partition just for storing such files. Then I would be careful during the fresh install of the new version of Mint, so that I did not goof and delete that particular partition.

Barring monumental screwups on my part (as mentioned, deleting the data partition I had just created and moved my personal files to), that should result in Mint 19 being installed and all my important data safely still extant, in its own partition, on my hard drive.

Actually, considering the fact that this version of Mint is built on a different base (newer major version of Ubuntu), the above might be what I'd do even if someone came by and gave me instructions on how to do an in-place upgrade. Because a fresh installation guarantees that there will be NO previous settings/configuration files which could even possibly somehow be in conflict with the new version.

And, while I was moving all my files to their own partition, I'd probably make note of the apps/etc. I'd installed previously (assuming I had any interest in doing so again, of course), taking the opportunity to create a list of my various passwords/accounts, and other information that could, conceivably, be lost if there was some kind of major SNAFU. I might even go so far as to make a hard copy set of the accounts/passwords.

Again, this is just what I'd be thinking of doing and, again, I am NOT any kind of Mint guru, expert linux user, etc.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

smurphos
Level 7
Level 7

Post by smurphos » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:58 pm

If /home is on a separate partition you can do a fresh install, tell the installer to use the existing /home partition but not to format it and create a user with the same user/name and password as previously.

If /home is not on it's own partition, then back up important contents to an external USB Drive / Stick and then fresh install wiping everything. Do yourself a favour and in that fresh install make yourself a separate ./home partition. :). Restore your back-up.

Do have a read of this - there are a few problems for EFI installs that need a workaround- viewtopic.php?f=90&t=273058

gm10
Level 11
Level 11

Post by gm10 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:59 pm

itowill wrote:
What should I other like myself try. The Timeshift Snapshot I took doesn't seem to be working to go 18.3 Is there a way to do fresh install without deleting my /home documents i only have about 40GB used out of 120 but they are taxinfo , work docs , itunes films etc i don't want to delete. Ubuntu-One closed i try not to use goggle drive because the privacy issues any ideas that would help I will copy to another thread if that is necessary. I am not complete noob to LM however wasnt using it in last 5 years
How about a rather non-technical but quite sensible solution: Buy an USB stick if you don't have one. Important data deserves an external backup no matter what.

itowill
Level 1
Level 1

Post by itowill » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:39 am

gm10 wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:59 pm
itowill wrote:
How about a rather non-technical but quite sensible solution: Buy an USB stick if you don't have one. Important data deserves an external backup no matter what.
I totally have portable hard drive and usb sticks. perhaps I phrased my query wrong.
I am returning to Linux after a while and dont remember all the cli things that used to
be 2nd nature. However I did think there was a away to reinstall or install
using upgrade paths without completely reinstall from scratch. This is
advantageous to many users. I have made several tweaks to my system I would
like to save in addition to personal /home files. which are also have copies of
however I was looking for save-time or simpler steps.
Linux touted itself as mature software and I support it and have for several years . however the solution to x package wasn't copied down correctly from Ubuntu sources and know breaks upgrade might not always be "scorch earth" . I don't mind a technical solution if there is one. I was simply asking for steps because I remember that there is a way to install freshly without deleting personal data besides using my usb . I m talking about system settings and data.
Thank you for your help to those that offered solutions.
Its often funny to insult someone lack of knowledge but it doesn't help make linux look great.

MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:41 am

itowill wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:39 am
I was simply asking for steps because I remember that there is a way to install freshly without deleting personal data
Yeah, having your /home directory on a separate partition and choosing not to delete (or format) it when you do your fresh install.

You'll end up with all the same settings/configuration files, in addition to your other data. Which is generally safe when doing minor distro version bumps. Might be fine for a major version change, too, but it's probably less guaranteed. And going from Mint 18.x to 19.x IS a major version change; the Ubuntu base it's built on takes a major jump.

So you'll most likely be advised by the experts to back up everything you consider to be important, anyway, lol.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

Return to “Installation & Boot”