[solved] Dual boot Mint 19 with win 10 - problem with grub

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
User avatar
Mroptonix
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:38 pm

[solved] Dual boot Mint 19 with win 10 - problem with grub

Post by Mroptonix » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:53 pm

During the installation process of Mint 19, a message displayed saying:
"GRUB Installation Failed.
The 'grub-efi-amd64-signed' package failed to install into /target/. Without the GRUB boot loader, the installed system will not boot".


I have solved this problem by creating a 1 GB efi on dev/sda10 and select it to mint bootloader partition.
and mint installed successfully without error.
but now I can not load win 10.

boot repair is tested (I have grub now, but it only contains mint 19 in it's list)
update grub command is tested too. (no result)

I think because I install mint loader in a new partition it can not find win 10 loader.

[update]
I tried:

menuentry "Windows 10" --class windows --class os {
insmod ntfs
search --no-floppy --set=root --fs-uuid 1D584C40586B2873
ntldr /bootmgr
}


and:

menuentry "Windows 10" {

set root='{hd0,1}'

chainloader + 1

}


it adds an entry to grub but after selecting it an error occurred that says can not find boot file! :(



any help will be appreciated.
Last edited by Mroptonix on Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

pddm
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:33 pm

Re: Dual boot Mint 19 with win 10 - problem with grub

Post by pddm » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:36 pm

I had the same issue. It seems to be a general Mint 19 problem with EFI.
The best answer I found is: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=272853#p1493795

Boot with a USB drive with SuperGrub2disk. https://www.supergrubdisk.org/super-grub2-disk/
Once you start up Mint 19 from the hard disk simply run

Code: Select all

sudo update-grub
from terminal.
That did the trick for me.
Last edited by pddm on Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

rio517
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:14 am

Re: Dual boot Mint 19 with win 10 - grub not installing

Post by rio517 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:25 pm

I'm dealing with the same issue on a XPS 15 9550. I even had 19 installed before this, but was having some issues with cinammon and thought I would just do a clean install of 19.

Code: Select all

Calling 'apt-install grub-efi-amd64-signed' failed 
My full install log is here: https://gist.github.com/Rio517/3288474c ... b0792c5e95


Things Tried
  • running chkdsk on ufei partition
  • ensuring device online
  • secureboot on, and secureboot off
  • disabled hibernate from beginning
  • disabled winddows fast start
  • disabled TPM (? - trusted compute platform... or something)
  • sudo fsck /dev/nvme0n1p1 -> said something about removing dirty bit, fixed, but no help
  • starting the live session with nomodeset
Things still to Try:
  • disable fastboot via BIOS - cannot, only has auto, thorough and... one other option
  • "boot-repair"
  • ensuring device is offline (just found this recommendation)
  • legacy boot mode (last resort)

JVR
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:16 pm

Re: Dual boot Mint 19 with win 10 - problem with grub

Post by JVR » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:05 pm

I think we all had this same issue. I was told by all41 that I should try to install without having the equipment connected to the internet. I haven't done that yet because I have an issue which I think everyone on this thread already passed and I was hoping one of you could help me.

Questions:
when you tried to install LM19, did you go for the "Install Linux Mint alongside Windows Boog Manager" option or for the "Something else" option? I ask because my laptop has SSD and HDD storage.

Did you have to prepare the space with GParted after freeing it from Windows, or did you just leave its as "free/unallocated space"?

If you used the "Something else option" would you mind giving me details? (did you specify place for swap, root, and home? Did you consider the EFI File System option?) all41 just told me he usuall goes for the "Something else" option and prepares the files in advance.

Anything you can share will be good. Thanks.

User avatar
all41
Level 13
Level 13
Posts: 4987
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:12 am
Location: Computer, Car, Cage

Re: Dual boot Mint 19 with win 10 - problem with grub

Post by all41 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:56 pm

@JVR
Even as I choose to pre-partition the target for installation, the 'Something else' option allows the same
functionality, and I sometimes define my patitions there as well.
Proud to be a supporter and monthly contributor to Mint.

JVR
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:16 pm

Re: Dual boot Mint 19 with win 10 - problem with grub

Post by JVR » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:00 am

all41 wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:56 pm
@JVR
Even as I choose to pre-partition the target for installation, the 'Something else' option allows the same
functionality, and I sometimes define my patitions there as well.
Noted. I wrote about the solution to my problem in the post below. Thank you for your help!

viewtopic.php?f=90&t=273067&p=1494402#p1494402

User avatar
Mroptonix
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:38 pm

Re: Dual boot Mint 19 with win 10 - problem with grub

Post by Mroptonix » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:49 am

these solutions are for LM19 installation!
I have already installed it, the problem is now with grub!
In grub, I have only Linux mint and several ways to add win10 did not work (see the first post)

how to add win10 to grub?

j1nz6
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:25 am

Re: Dual boot Mint 19 with win 10 - problem with grub

Post by j1nz6 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:01 am

Okay, so I was thinking that maybe you had Windows 10 installed in Legacy Mode, and then you installed Linux Mint on UEFI Mode, so now you can not access your Legacy Mode OS. I do not know if there's an easy way to solve this, but if you can, I would suggest to clean install your Windows on UEFI Mode (The windows key is saved in BIOS, if you bought your machine with preinstalled Windows, and it will activate them after a while), and then install Linux Mint 19 (Dual boot) also in UEFI Mode, without internet connection, to avoid the GRUB error.
If now your Windows and Linux Mint are installed in the same mode, then I am sorry that and couldn't help, and for the long answer.
Good luck anyway! :wink:

User avatar
michael louwe
Level 9
Level 9
Posts: 2890
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:18 pm

Re: Dual boot Mint 19 with win 10 - problem with grub

Post by michael louwe » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:26 am

Mroptonix wrote:.
.
You just need to reinstall LM 19 alongside Win 10 with the Internet disconnected, as mentioned above.

Use the manual "Something else" install method to first delete all the non-working Linux partitions and then reinstall LM.
....... The "Device for boot loader installation" should be the Windows EFI System Partition.

User avatar
Mroptonix
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:38 pm

Re: Dual boot Mint 19 with win 10 - problem with grub

Post by Mroptonix » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:34 am

j1nz6 wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:01 am
Okay, so I was thinking that maybe you had Windows 10 installed in Legacy Mode, and then you installed Linux Mint on UEFI Mode, so now you can not access your Legacy Mode OS. I do not know if there's an easy way to solve this, but if you can, I would suggest to clean install your Windows on UEFI Mode (The windows key is saved in BIOS, if you bought your machine with preinstalled Windows, and it will activate them after a while), and then install Linux Mint 19 (Dual boot) also in UEFI Mode, without internet connection, to avoid the GRUB error.
If now your Windows and Linux Mint are installed in the same mode, then I am sorry that and couldn't help, and for the long answer.
Good luck anyway! :wink:
yes, my windows is legacy
and I turned off internet connection on install. is there a way to fix grub without reinstalling?

User avatar
Mroptonix
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:38 pm

Re: Dual boot Mint 19 with win 10 - problem with grub

Post by Mroptonix » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:38 am

michael louwe wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:26 am
Mroptonix wrote:.
.
You just need to reinstall LM 19 alongside Win 10 with the Internet disconnected, as mentioned above.

Use the manual "Something else" install method to first delete all the non-working Linux partitions and then reinstall LM.
....... The "Device for boot loader installation" should be the Windows EFI System Partition.
on "something else" window all partitions were NTFS, and as I mentioned before I had not EFI partition and to install mint without error, I added a 1 GB EFI and choose it for "Device for boot loader installation"

User avatar
michael louwe
Level 9
Level 9
Posts: 2890
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:18 pm

Re: Dual boot Mint 19 with win 10 - problem with grub

Post by michael louwe » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:12 am

@ Mroptonix, .......
Mroptonix wrote:yes, my windows is legacy.
.
To dual-boot, both Windows and LM should be installed in the same mode, either Legacy BIOS/MBR-msdos or UEFI/GPT.

You need to just reinstall LM 19 alongside Win 10 in Legacy BIOS mode with the Internet connected. Use the "Something else" method, delete all the non-working Linux partitions, reinstall LM and ensure that the "Device for boot loader installation" is the internal hard-drive or /sda.

User avatar
Mroptonix
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:38 pm

Re: Dual boot Mint 19 with win 10 - problem with grub

Post by Mroptonix » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:20 pm

1.for boot LM19 in Legacy mode, what should I do?
2. there is no way to fix grub without reinstalling LM19? I have installed some software for programming and reconfiguring them takes a lot of time :?

j1nz6
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:25 am

Re: Dual boot Mint 19 with win 10 - problem with grub

Post by j1nz6 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:05 pm

Mroptonix wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:34 am
j1nz6 wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:01 am
Okay, so I was thinking that maybe you had Windows 10 installed in Legacy Mode, and then you installed Linux Mint on UEFI Mode, so now you can not access your Legacy Mode OS. I do not know if there's an easy way to solve this, but if you can, I would suggest to clean install your Windows on UEFI Mode (The windows key is saved in BIOS, if you bought your machine with preinstalled Windows, and it will activate them after a while), and then install Linux Mint 19 (Dual boot) also in UEFI Mode, without internet connection, to avoid the GRUB error.
If now your Windows and Linux Mint are installed in the same mode, then I am sorry that and couldn't help, and for the long answer.
Good luck anyway! :wink:
yes, my windows is legacy
and I turned off internet connection on install. is there a way to fix grub without reinstalling?
No, I'm sorry, but as far as i concern there's no other way :( ...but maybe someone else give you the solution you seek.
But remember, when and if everything else fail, just reinstall both OS on the same mode, and you'll be ready to go! :wink:

User avatar
michael louwe
Level 9
Level 9
Posts: 2890
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:18 pm

Re: Dual boot Mint 19 with win 10 - problem with grub

Post by michael louwe » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:13 pm

@ Mroptonix, .......
Mroptonix wrote:yes, my windows is legacy.
.
Looks like your Win 10 was installed in Legacy BIOS mode and then somehow you later installed LM 19 in UEFI mode alongside Win 10.

Try setting your BIOS Setup to Legacy BIOS(eg CSM enabled) in order to boot Win 10.
....... If successful, then you will have to go into BIOS Setup in order to boot either Win 10 in Legacy BIOS mode or boot LM 19 in UEFI mode.

Both Win 10 and LM 19 will appear in the initial Grub Menu, only if both OS are installed in the same mode.

Please provide the Terminal output for inxi -Fxz and sudo parted -l.

pddm
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:33 pm

Re: Dual boot Mint 19 with win 10 - problem with grub

Post by pddm » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:39 pm

I think there is a big confusion:
Legacy (CSM) and UEFI are two options of the Boot Mode setting in the Bios.
During an operating system's installation process, it will adhere to that setting and install accordingly.
Legacy generally puts the boot loader on the MBR while UEFI places it on the EFI partition.
If the setting in the bios is changed the boot for already installed operating system(s) has to be fixed in consequence.
Now Linux Mint 19 has absolutely no problems installing on a Legacy configured system and should work directly.

If Linux Mint 19 is installed on an UEFI system it most possibly failed with 'grub-efi-amd64-signed package failed to install into /target/' error.
To fix that Boot with a USB drive with SuperGrub2disk. https://www.supergrubdisk.org/super-grub2-disk/
Once you start up Mint 19 from the hard disk simply run

Code: Select all

sudo update-grub
from terminal.

User avatar
Mroptonix
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:38 pm

Re: Dual boot Mint 19 with win 10 - problem with grub

Post by Mroptonix » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:12 am

michael louwe wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:13 pm
@ Mroptonix, .......
Mroptonix wrote:yes, my windows is legacy.
.
Looks like your Win 10 was installed in Legacy BIOS mode and then somehow you later installed LM 19 in UEFI mode alongside Win 10.

Try setting your BIOS Setup to Legacy BIOS(eg CSM enabled) in order to boot Win 10.
....... If successful, then you will have to go into BIOS Setup in order to boot either Win 10 in Legacy BIOS mode or boot LM 19 in UEFI mode.

Both Win 10 and LM 19 will appear in the initial Grub Menu, only if both OS are installed in the same mode.

Please provide the Terminal output for inxi -Fxz and sudo parted -l.

output for: inxi -Fxz

Code: Select all

System:    Host: optonix-K55VD Kernel: 4.15.0-24-generic x86_64 bits: 64 gcc: 7.3.0
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.7 (Gtk 3.22.30-1ubuntu1) Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara
Machine:   Device: laptop System: ASUSTeK product: K55VD v: 1.0 serial: N/A
           Mobo: ASUSTeK model: K55VD v: 1.0 serial: N/A UEFI: American Megatrends v: 221 date: 08/31/2012
Battery    BAT1: charge: 41.4 Wh 100.0% condition: 41.4/50.8 Wh (82%) model: COMPAL PABAS0241231 status: Full
CPU:       Quad core Intel Core i7-3630QM (-MT-MCP-) arch: Ivy Bridge rev.9 cache: 6144 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 19156
           clock speeds: max: 3400 MHz 1: 1200 MHz 2: 1217 MHz 3: 1206 MHz 4: 1263 MHz 5: 1218 MHz 6: 1197 MHz
           7: 1203 MHz 8: 1197 MHz
Graphics:  Card-1: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Card-2: NVIDIA GF119M [GeForce 610M] bus-ID: 01:00.0
           Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.6 ) drivers: modesetting,nouveau (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1366x768@60.02hz, 1024x768@60.00hz
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ivybridge Mobile version: 4.2 Mesa 18.0.5 Direct Render: Yes
Audio:     Card Intel 7 Series/C216 Family High Definition Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.15.0-24-generic
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: d000 bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: enp2s0 state: down mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter driver: ath9k bus-ID: 03:00.0
           IF: wlp3s0 state: up mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 750.2GB (30.3% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: Hitachi_HTS54757 size: 750.2GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 75G used: 19G (27%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda9
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 12.00GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda8
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 63.0C mobo: 27.8C
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 245 Uptime: 1 day Memory: 2804.6/5839.8MB Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 7.3.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.4.191) inxi: 2.3.56 



and output for: sudo parted -l

Code: Select all

Model: ATA Hitachi HTS54757 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 750GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
Partition Table: msdos
Disk Flags: 

Number  Start   End    Size    Type      File system     Flags
 1      1049kB  106MB  105MB   primary   ntfs
 2      107MB   210GB  210GB   primary   ntfs
 3      210GB   436GB  226GB   primary   ntfs
 4      436GB   750GB  315GB   extended                  lba
 5      436GB   519GB  83.9GB  logical   ntfs
 6      519GB   540GB  21.0GB  logical   ntfs
 7      540GB   655GB  115GB   logical   ntfs
 8      655GB   667GB  12.0GB  logical   linux-swap(v1)
10      667GB   668GB  1017MB  logical   fat32           boot, esp
 9      668GB   750GB  81.7GB  logical   ext4



User avatar
Mroptonix
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:38 pm

Re: Dual boot Mint 19 with win 10 - problem with grub

Post by Mroptonix » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:24 am

pddm wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:39 pm
I think there is a big confusion:
Legacy (CSM) and UEFI are two options of the Boot Mode setting in the Bios.
During an operating system's installation process, it will adhere to that setting and install accordingly.
Legacy generally puts the boot loader on the MBR while UEFI places it on the EFI partition.
If the setting in the bios is changed the boot for already installed operating system(s) has to be fixed in consequence.
Now Linux Mint 19 has absolutely no problems installing on a Legacy configured system and should work directly.

If Linux Mint 19 is installed on an UEFI system it most possibly failed with 'grub-efi-amd64-signed package failed to install into /target/' error.
To fix that Boot with a USB drive with SuperGrub2disk. https://www.supergrubdisk.org/super-grub2-disk/
Once you start up Mint 19 from the hard disk simply run

Code: Select all

sudo update-grub
from terminal.


So using this method there is no need for reinstalling LM19?

User avatar
michael louwe
Level 9
Level 9
Posts: 2890
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:18 pm

Re: Dual boot Mint 19 with win 10 - problem with grub

Post by michael louwe » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:41 am

@ Mroptonix, .......
Mroptonix wrote:yes, my windows is legacy.
.
Fyi, you have a modern UEFI Asus laptop which defaults to UEFI/GPT mode install in BIOS Setup. But UEFI computers can also be manually set to Legacy BIOS/MBR-msdos mode install in BIOS Setup, eg by setting CSM (Compatibility Support Module) or Legacy BIOS to enabled.

In your case, your BIOS Setup was set to Legacy BIOS/ms-dos mode for the install of Win 10. You have 3 Primary partitions and too many logical/extended partitions.
....... Most ms-dos or MBR disks are limited to 4 Primary partitions and 2TB in size. GPT disks are not such limited.

Somehow, you later have your BIOS Setup in UEFI mode when you installed LM 19 alongside Win 10 and managed to get LM 19 working by adding a 1GB EFI System Partition = fat32/flagged as boot,esp and installing the grub.efi bootloader on the ESP. But Win 10 can no longer be booted.
....... By right, LM 19 should have been installed in the same Legacy BIOS mode as Win 10 via BIOS Setup, ie LM 19 should not have been installed in UEFI mode.

When installing, we have to also ensure that the Live LM 19 USB/DVD is booted in the proper mode through the Boot Menu of BIOS Setup.

Did you manage to boot Win 10 by putting BIOS Setup in Legacy BIOS mode, going into the Boot Menu and selecting Windows Boot Manager.? If unsuccessful, you likely need to reinstall LM 19 in Legacy BIOS mode.

You should use the GParted program from the Live LM 19 USB/DVD to reduce the number of unnecessary partitions, but first save your important data before deleting the partitions. Also, you should create a new Primary partition for the install of LM 19 since the limit for ms-dos disks is 4 Primary partitions.

I doubt SuperGrubdisk or GrubCustomizer can fix your boot problem. You can give it a shot.

Helix-the-II
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:01 pm

Re: Dual boot Mint 19 with win 10 - problem with grub

Post by Helix-the-II » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:08 pm

JVR wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:05 pm
I think we all had this same issue. I was told by all41 that I should try to install without having the equipment connected to the internet. I haven't done that yet because I have an issue which I think everyone on this thread already passed and I was hoping one of you could help me.

Questions:
when you tried to install LM19, did you go for the "Install Linux Mint alongside Windows Boog Manager" option or for the "Something else" option? I ask because my laptop has SSD and HDD storage.

Did you have to prepare the space with GParted after freeing it from Windows, or did you just leave its as "free/unallocated space"?

If you used the "Something else option" would you mind giving me details? (did you specify place for swap, root, and home? Did you consider the EFI File System option?) all41 just told me he usuall goes for the "Something else" option and prepares the files in advance.

Anything you can share will be good. Thanks.
Going through the installation without an internet connection is exactly what I had to do, today, for 19 XFCE to install properly.

I mean I racked my brain trying to get it installed. I was installing everything on a separate HDD from my Win 10 install and no amount of formatting helped. I made my own partitions, I let Mint used the entire drive by itself, I created efp partitions... I was hopping back and forth between the Live USB and Windows 10, formatting, cleaning, reformatting, ensuring the drive was GPT, and Googling for over twelve hours in two days. I spent more time in UEFI than I did in originally did in BIOS when I first set this rig up a couple years ago.

Finally I just ran the installer without the Ethernet plugged in and here I am, getting XFCE set up without issues. So whatever bugfix that was introduced about this either didn't make it to the XFCE build or is still broke. I just got my ISO from here on Wednesday, IIRC.

Post Reply

Return to “Installation & Boot”