How to get out of "grub rescue" prompt? [solved]

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Faust

Re: How to get out of "grub rescue" prompt?

Post by Faust »

Noodlecakelol wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:40 am ..... I can access the bios menu and I have The CD option as #1 should I change that? ....
That's very good !
You can get into BIOS , so you now "own" the machine .
CD as #1 boot option is just fine for now .

What you do next might depend on getting an internet connection , on a different machine .

If you can find someone who can download a file from the internet and put it on CD/DVD for you , there are these options
a] Download an Operating System of your choice .... Mint is ideal of course :D ( Microsoft will want your money , and more ! )
b] Download a " Utility Disc " and use it to repair GRUB .... Parted Magic is the easiest to use IMO , but there's Hirens , Ultimate Boot repair disc
and others

And if none of that is possible there is still
c] GRUB Rescue

Note that Pjotr has recently updated with some very useful info , above ^^

Looking back on your posts I have to say that option [a] is probably your best bet for getting up and running , quickly and painlessly
And if making a disk is a really serious problem for you , some kind soul may offer to mail one to you , ready-to-use and free of charge ?

The other two options are going to need guts and determination , but they WILL work , eventually :)

Edit : everything I have said about disks will work just as well and faster using USB sticks , but you might need to change that boot order in BIOS
Noodlecakelol

Post by Noodlecakelol »

I really don’t want to use my other desk top at all for that kind of stuff because we have taken it into the computer repair place that we get free coverage for it from and they said don’t access the internet at all with it because it is not safe what so ever and it’s so old that they won’t fix it :(
The only way I would get one is if it’s from amazon or something
But if one of you could make a cd that would be awesome 😭
But it’s perfectly okay if it’s on amazon, Since I have 100% no idea what I am doing lol
Noodlecakelol

Post by Noodlecakelol »

Btw guys if I don’t reply for the next 4 1/2 so days it’s because i’m Going to my cabin either tonight or tomorrow morning for the whole weekend and I don’t have internet up there.
So if anyone replies I can’t respond until Sunday night or Monday morning.
Noodlecakelol

Post by Noodlecakelol »

I’m back now, is there a link to one I can get on amazon???
rui no onna

Post by rui no onna »

Noodlecakelol wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:41 pm I’m back now, is there a link to one I can get on amazon???
Not Amazon but you can buy discs and even LiveUSB with persistence already setup.
https://www.osdisc.com/products/linuxmint
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Noodlecakelol wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:54 pm I really don’t want to use my other desk top at all for that kind of stuff because we have taken it into the computer repair place that we get free coverage for it from and they said don’t access the internet at all with it because it is not safe what so ever and it’s so old that they won’t fix it :(
The only way I would get one is if it’s from amazon or something
But if one of you could make a cd that would be awesome 😭
But it’s perfectly okay if it’s on amazon, Since I have 100% no idea what I am doing lol
okay,
do you live in the USA?

I will make you a couple of DVDs for free and mail them off to you.
I looked up your PC, Dell OptiPlex 7010 - SFF - Core i5 3470 3.2 GHz - 2 GB - 250 GB

so I will send you 18.3 xcfe which will run very fast on that PC.
I will also include 18.3 Cinnamon, will load and run, but not quite so fast.

that will let you experience both ends of the Mint spectrum.....
the DVDs will allow you to create a fresh install now that you can access a DVD.

Click on my name, then send me a Personal Message with your name and address.
okay?
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
rui no onna

Post by rui no onna »

AZgl1500 wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:13 amokay,
do you live in the USA?

I will make you a couple of DVDs for free and mail them off to you.
I looked up your PC, Dell OptiPlex 7010 - SFF - Core i5 3470 3.2 GHz - 2 GB - 250 GB

so I will send you 18.3 xcfe which will run very fast on that PC.
I will also include 18.3 Cinnamon, will load and run, but not quite so fast.

that will let you experience both ends of the Mint spectrum.....
the DVDs will allow you to create a fresh install now that you can access a DVD.

Click on my name, then send me a Personal Message with your name and address.
okay?
Kudos! That's extremely nice of you. The community is one of the reasons Mint is my lead choice while considering an exit strategy from Windows.

Note, I have a PC with much slower CPU (dual-core i3-3227U 1.9GHz) and it runs 18.3 Cinnamon (and surprisingly KDE) very fast. Granted, it does have 4GB RAM and 128GB SSD.
Noodlecakelol

Post by Noodlecakelol »

Oh my gosh thank you so much! I’m so sorry I didn’t reply sooner I never got a notification that I got any more replies on this post, so I haven’t been on here for a couple days.
And yes I’m in the US
I’ll pm you
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Okay,
think this will fix her up:
Mailing off some DVDs to her.

I have two different repair disks, I will send them with printed instructions on how to get that thing working again.

the 1st one is called "Boot Repair Disk", it will search to see what is on the computer and fix the boot loader to let you choose which one you want to boot.

the 2nd one is called PC Unlocker Pro.
It will unlock and remove the passwords from any Windows PC.

I am also sending...

Linux Mint 18.3 xcfe with will run very fast on that PC.

Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon which I think will run fairly well, some slower than xcfe, but it is Windows Look alike
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Noodlecakelol

Post by Noodlecakelol »

I’ll post an update if/when I receive them and will see if it works, thank you!
Noodlecakelol

Post by Noodlecakelol »

Update:

I can only get one of the disks to work and that is the pc Unlocker. And I don’t know how to get the other ones to work, when I put them into the computer it will just put me back into grub rescue, unless it’s the pc Unlocker disk, but there’s no accounts on the computer anyway and it pops up something about needing a windows SAM registry file and I’m not to sure what that is and or what one I choose, I tried to look it up and the one they have is different from what mine says?
Faust

Post by Faust »

Noodlecakelol wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:43 am ....I don’t know how to get the other ones to work, when I put them into the computer it will just put me back into grub rescue, unless it’s the pc Unlocker disk,
That's odd !
I suggest you go back into your BIOS , look at the boot options , then post back here with the order in which they appear .

I'm sure that you are close to getting up and running .
Noodlecakelol

Post by Noodlecakelol »

I have my boot sequence at
1. CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive
2. USB Storage Device
3. Hitachi ( and numbers but I don’t know if I should put those )
4. Diskette Drive
Noodlecakelol

Post by Noodlecakelol »

Would it help if I try to find the command I entered that screwed everything up?
Noodlecakelol

Post by Noodlecakelol »

Going to my cabin again, so if anyone replies that’s why I can’t reply for like 2 days
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

I wonder if you did a non-UEFI install and your bios has UEFI on, it would make it go to rescue. Meaning did you recently switch to or from Secure boot in the bios?
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
Noodlecakelol

Post by Noodlecakelol »

Back now, and no I have not. Not that I know of anyway lol
Noodlecakelol

Post by Noodlecakelol »

Still having no luck :(
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

HaveaMint wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:23 am I wonder if you did a non-UEFI install and your bios has UEFI on, it would make it go to rescue. Meaning did you recently switch to or from Secure boot in the bios?
Secure boot is not UEFI, it is a feature of UEFI.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
slipstick
Level 6
Level 6

Post by slipstick »

Could this be a case of having Secure Boot turned on? With the computer set to boot from DVD, it won't do it, but instead tries to boot from HDD, leading to the Grub Rescue (because something about the boot loader is scrambled?). I would think that the DVD drive is just bad, except that it tries to boot from the pc Unlocker disk. Is this a clue that has been overlooked? Maybe pc Unlocker has a way to get around Secure Boot - I see on the pc Unlocker web site www.pcunlocker.com that they advertise "Support Windows 10 / 8 computers with UEFI Secure Boot....". Although I would expect, that with Secure Boot on, trying to boot from an untrusted source, some error message to that effect would be generated rather than simply "selected boot device failed". Don't know how Secure Boot would have gotten set, since it's not needed for Windows 7. Anyway, maybe worthwhile trying to access BIOS (UEFI) menu to disable Secure Boot if it is on - otherwise, I have no idea what the problem could be.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they ain't.

Return to “Installation & Boot”