When correct password is entered login screen goes black and then asks for password again

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
thugczar

When correct password is entered login screen goes black and then asks for password again

Post by thugczar »

When I put in my password the log in screen goes black and then sends me back to the log in screen. The incorrect password says that it's incorrect. I have tried following other peoples suggestions from similar posts, but when I go into terminal (with cntrl + alt + f1) all the commands are not found. I think this has something to do with the PATH directory as I had changed that for development the last time I used it. I'm still pretty new to linux so I'm not sure how to fix this. I'm running linux mint 19 dual booting with windows. They're both on seperate hard drives. Any help would be very much appreciated.

TLDR:
  • Correct password gets black screen and redirects to login screen
  • When in terminal no commands are found
  • Likely a problem with PATH directory as it was changed in last use
  • Using mint 19 dual boot with windows
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: When correct password is entered login screen goes black and then asks for password again

Post by Pjotr »

thugczar wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:33 pm I think this has something to do with the PATH directory as I had changed that for development the last time I used it.
You did what? Why?
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
gm10

Re: When correct password is entered login screen goes black and then asks for password again

Post by gm10 »

Basically you messed up your user settings so the profile cannot be loaded successfully and it fails over to the login screen. Start removing settings - it seems you already have an idea where you tampered with them.

PS: At least I hope it's just your user settings. Either way, roll back whatever you broke. Most certainly the path so binaries can be run by name again. In the meantime run them with absolute paths-
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

thugczar wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:33 pmI'm still pretty new to linux so I'm not sure how to fix this.
Lesson 1: don't mess with the PATH except to stick stuff at the end.

Everybody does backups before they mess with important files and settings**, so boot the LiveDVD/USB and restore the files you messed with, probably ~/.profile and/or ~/.bashrc, either by copying them from the files you saved before making changes: cp .profile.save .profile or by editing them and using the comments you added to the files to change them back to the original.

**They do so!
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Flemur wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:42 pm
thugczar wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:33 pmI'm still pretty new to linux so I'm not sure how to fix this.
Lesson 1: don't mess with the PATH except to stick stuff at the end.

Everybody does backups before they mess with important files and settings**, so boot the LiveDVD/USB and restore the files you messed with, probably ~/.profile and/or ~/.bashrc, either by copying them from the files you saved before making changes: cp .profile.save .profile or by editing them and using the comments you added to the files to change them back to the original.

**They do so!
You don't need a live USB for that, the defaults are stored in /etc/skel/, just copy them over if you need to reset yours. Or just create a new user to get a "virgin" user folder set up for you.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

gm10 wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:51 pmYou don't need a live USB for that, the defaults are stored in /etc/skel/, just copy them over if you need to reset yours.
I'd heard that, looked at that file and I don't think it'll do the trick - might depend on how he broke his system:

Code: Select all

$ grep PATH  /etc/skel/.*
grep: /etc/skel/.: Is a directory
grep: /etc/skel/..: Is a directory
/etc/skel/.profile:# set PATH so it includes user's private bin directories
/etc/skel/.profile:PATH="$HOME/bin:$HOME/.local/bin:$PATH"
All it does is add $HOME stuff - which you don't need to run the OS - to some other, already set, PATH. (And - sigh it adds it in the wrong place.)

Ah - here's where it gets set:

$ cat /etc/environment
PATH="/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/games"
Or just create a new user to get a "virgin" user folder set up for you.
I was gonna suggest that, but...sounds like a hassle.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

I also keep wondering why on earth the OP did this in the first place..... :shock:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Flemur wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:07 pm

/etc/skel/.profile:PATH="$HOME/bin:$HOME/.local/bin:$PATH"
All it does is add $HOME stuff - which you don't need to run the OS - to some other, already set, PATH. (And - sigh it adds it in the wrong place.)

Ah - here's where it gets set:

$ cat /etc/environment
PATH="/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/games"
It depends what he edited. My guess is he edited ~/.profile and forgot to keep the :$PATH at the end and thus dropped the system-wide paths already set. It's an easy mistake to make. But no point to keep speculating since he hasn't been back yet. ;)

Return to “Installation & Boot”