After upgrade to Mint 19, having slow boot issue. [SOLVED]

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Cito

Re: After upgrade to Mint 19, having slow boot issue. [SOLVED - thanks to DAMIEN1307]

Post by Cito »

okie dokie.

I'll toss this here so you can get a larger pic of my linux box which I dont mind sharing.

http://www.dude-suit.net/system_report.html
Last edited by Cito on Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cito

Re: After upgrade to Mint 19, having slow boot issue.

Post by Cito »

Info requested

I also rebooted after removing older stuff and not really any chance. I use samba since I share files across the lan between a NAS/gaming pc, tablet, and several others.

But it's odd how it's the one holding up the boot sequence.

New Systemd-Analyze Blame: https://cloud.dude-suit.net/index.php/s/rZinADxkzQxqoDb

ran journalctl to show boot up and point out in red samba/nmbd appears in boot sequence: https://cloud.dude-suit.net/index.php/s/QBM7BTkBgYTY2zB

After running the command you requested, this is the output of the results:
" dpkg --get-selections | grep linux-headers && dpkg --get-selections | grep linux-image"
Screenshot of output: https://cloud.dude-suit.net/index.php/s/AykzpPspk6opGB7

Also here's a html version of the system report showing similar, and a bit more. If it may help. I also noticed by googling a log of ubuntu folks have issues with nmbd.service taking 5 to 22 seconds at boot, but not one offers a fix other than disable samba. But I actively use mine daily. I'd hate to lose that ability. If at all possible.

http://www.dude-suit.net/Linux_Mint19-report.html
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi eric...well its 5:20 am MDT here in alamogordo nm and im up and running (crawling) lol with my coffee in hand with cats looking for their wet food breakfast...just a normal morning for an old fossil lol...your specs really look quite good...your running a rather sophisticated system more above average than ive seen from others in quite awhile that im sure is the envy of many and judging by the specs ive read, it is now running quite well...i also forgot to welcome you here in the LM forums...you seem to have an expertise that will fit in quite well...you are correct about samba by the way...many or us just do not use cross platform applications and tend to be linux purists and people like myself have been doing a sudo apt purge samba for a long time now as well as using synaptic to remove the rest of it...ive only retained just enough of it to be able to run my smplayer/mpv player. i do see your need for it though since studying your setup...i would say you have done a stunning job of it thus far and your terminal reports look pretty good to me, maybe someone else may come along to read it and might be able to point out anything i might have missed...when you are comfortable with it, just make sure to enter into the first post you made and in the "subject" header line, type in "SOLVED" in front of the subject matter...this entry will carry across the entire post alerting folks out here, to all our work together and give them a template to follow...you will find great people here and a wealth of knowledge in helping with problems as they arise and looking forward to your input as well...i always recommend... https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/Home ...the easy linux website as well...it is owned and maintained by "pjotr", one of our very knowledgeable contributors here on the LM forum,,,his tips tricks etc are very helpful and i think you will especially enjoy it...dont be a stranger, its been my privilege to have been of help to you in any small way possible...gotta get ready for church now and wont be back on till after 1 pm, MST...DAMIEN
Cito

Post by Cito »

Ok Damien, I wanted to truly thank you for your time with me.

This is absolute proof no matter the education background sometimes you run into a problem or a weird situation that leaves you confused or whatnot.

a short background I have a bachelors in computer science focusing in network security, and the typical mcse certification that comes with both the a+ and n+, and while working for a datacenter in orlando while back they offered to pay half for me to get my CCNA (the old CCNA before cisco rearranged and changed things).
With that said I never let it go to my head, and I've met amazing folks online, and I'm like a sponge I love to learn from. I live alone, and I've turned my apartment into a "mini-datacenter" as my NAS/Battery Backup, Proxmox, even a primary and secondary "pihole" dns server and 3 WTI NPS 115 network power supplies allows me to log into individual ports and reboot the port or schedule timers, or get a readout of power used.
I've been doing this since age 11 long long ago, now I'm turning 44 this year. I teach a weekly simple class at local library 1 for adults and 1 for kids on keeping data secure.

My first linux was Slackware I forget version but the kernel was 2.0.25 running on a packard bell legend 70 cd supreme. Prior I had an IBM PS/2 I ran a buggy Minix on.

With all that I always seek out the community for help when I come across something that is just odd. like I didn't realize nmbd.service ran first.

I will admit I am not a systemd fan. I sure miss sysvinit. But it was Linux Mint Cinnamon that I had to try and I've used it for few years now, and honestly it's the only linux I use with systemd. Since I use Slackware for most my home automation, and been playing with Devuan. But I absolutely love Mint Cinnamon .

Back to the original issue, it only shows during initial boot. NMBD and SMBD Work perfect, I get zero errors, even though I have a proxmox server/kodi box/ windows 7 gaming box, and in my living room a windows 10 "kiosk" running on a miniature lenovo M73 tiny which I maxed out both cpu/ram and ssd and ordered the dvd burner addon from the manufacture. I left it in living room and dubbed it kiosk since I have a blind neighbor which his medical records require him to fill out documents online and fax them So I do that for him.

For fun I have a Raspberry Pi with a 40 root sma coax ran up to top of apartment which I run PirateBox. The PirateBox is not connected to the interent once connct it auto loads it's web page giving instruction so users have live chat, a forum similar to 4chan. Users can leafe messaqge, or upload anything and download anything whie none if the rasberry pi has no internet access. Sorta like a "Geocache" leave a message eor graffitti and downloas Whatever.

in closet 2 rackmounts,

I know this comes across as bragging but I'm a hermit and i keep my skills honed.

Damien I wanted to thank you for your time and effort in helping me with such an awkward situation. This original barebones pc was an old gaming pc But I maxed the cpu and overclocked it, added Corsair closed loop water cooler threw in lot of ram. added internal SSD for boot, and drives for /home and such.

I really enjoy Mint Cinnamon. I'll eventually figure out why nmbd.servce takes forever. But once booted I've ran journalctl -k/-b / dmesg /syslog etc and I can't find any complaints or errors. Today I am going to try setting another server to be the master browser to see if by chance it helps.

I know I've written a lot post but I wanted to give thanks to Damien for his time, help, and didn't get aggravated such as I did with it lol .

I tested steam on Mint 19 and loaded up Saints Row 4 at all max settings and had zero hitches and no errors since I leave a small terminal running with sudo journal -f going .

Smart shows my SSD and other drives as healthy

I don't know how to change when nmbd.service is loaded,

* IS there any way to move nmbd.service so it loads last or in middle instead of at the start?

Otherwise I am marking this solved and will see what I can do. I may just move the data over to "Chronos" box aka NAS4free and disable smbd and nmbd. then plug the 1TB usb drive into my gaming box or something.

Again thank you for your time and insight . It's much appreciated. I am a long long long time lurker and new poster
Cito

Post by Cito »

Out of curiosity real quick. Is there a way to reorder what services start upon boot up?

since nmbd.service is taking 5 seconds and everything else is fairly instant, maybe it's trying to start nmbd before the network has been brought up.

Is there a config file or whatnot that I can adjust to make nmbd.service load last instead of first?
Cito

Post by Cito »

Ok I believe I have solved my problem.

yay!

nmbd.service no longer tacking on 5 seconds to boot up

here's output from 'systemd-analyze blame'

way better than what I started with

Now if i can just speed up "systemd-udev-settle.service" and ill pretty much have a "insta boot" mint box hehe.

Thanks all for help. I'll mark thread as solved

Link showing nmbd.service no longer causing problem. Yet still works perfectly.
http://www.dude-suit.net//systemd-analyze_blame.txt
DAMIEN1307

Re: After upgrade to Mint 19, having slow boot issue. [SOLVED]

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi eric...it appears that the newest 4.15.0-xx kernel that will replace the borked 4.15.0-24 kernel that you and i purged from your system, will more than likely be designated as 4.15.0-28 which is in testing as of now and will probably come down the pipeline shortly...as i have been writing this, it has now jumped to 4.15.0-29, so dont quote me on the final release #...lol...hopefully this one will take the sting out of the experiences that you and i as well as a vast multitude of others have had when first installing the newest OS and updates that included the borked kernel barfing over our very precious systems...lol...i of course will try it out when it arrives and will let ya know if i experience any or no problems with it when it arrives...i read your "stats" by the way as to your B.A. in computer sciences etc. and can say..."impressive young Skywalker"...lol...as for me, i can tell you that even though im old and "officially retired", upon retirement on Nov. 22nd 2010, that i then moved from the seacoast region of N.H. to the "Bastion of Intelligentsia" of Alamogordo, N.M....what i cant tell you is what i now do with my so-called computer literacy at this time, (yea!...right!...retired!...i wish!)(there are some things you just cant get out of)...but if you know what alamogordo is known for you can probably guess as much)...except that in my spare time i rebuild and install various linux systems on computers for kids for school work as well as church youth centers that need computers, and 1st robotics competitions or something like that and all are linux systems so the kids are having the proper tools to use for writing the programs they need to get their little bots up for competition...so you shared with me, i now share with you, at least what i can say officially...hope all is still well with your expansive system...DAMIEN

Return to “Installation & Boot”