<SOLVED>Mint only showing one partition during install

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
byteme2

<SOLVED>Mint only showing one partition during install

Post by byteme2 »

Hi everyone,

I recently tried to install Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon on my Lenovo laptop, and have run into a few issues during the installation. Namely, once I get to the point during installation when I should see options to boot alongside Windows 10, erase disk, or do something else, the installer skips this screen entirely. It takes me straight to where you would go for advanced options (the something else option), but the screen only shows one partition: /dev/sda. I am concerned with simply going with this option, as I would like to preserve Windows 10 and don't know if it would delete any data. I already have searched online a good amount and here is a list of some things I have done to try to correct the issue:

Disabled secure boot
Disabled fast boot
Disabled Windows hibernation
Ran the installer offline (not sure if this would fix any issues, I simply did this in response to the latest warning on issues with Mint 19 and grub)

Viewing disk partitions from Windows I am able to see several partitions, including one unformatted partition I created for this install. I don't really care if I use the something else option or just find out how to correct it to recognize Windows 10, either one works fine for my needs. As I mentioned, I already searched online and couldn't find any solutions, if anyone could help that would be very appreciated! Thank you!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
michael louwe

Re: Mint only showing one partition during install

Post by michael louwe »

byteme2 wrote:.
Please ensure that Fast Startup has been disabled in Win 10, ie >Control Panel >Power options. Please also refer to this tutorial ... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=163126 (Tutorial for dual-booting UEFI computers)

Some high-end Lenovo ultrabooks are preinstalled with Win 10 in RAID disk mode using the proprietary Intel RST driver = the LM Installer cannot detect the disk/drive.
....... If so, please refer to the fix at ... https://triplescomputers.com/blog/uncat ... operation/ (solution-switch-windows-10-from-raidide-to-ahci-operation without the need to reinstall Win 10 in AHCI disk mode - then install Linux alongside Win 10)
https://www.dell.com/community/Linux-De ... 278/page/2
byteme2

Re: Mint only showing one partition during install

Post by byteme2 »

Thanks! You were correct, my laptop came preinstalled in RAID disk mode. The second link worked perfectly, thank you again!

Return to “Installation & Boot”