SOLVED Where is Login??

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RubyStone
Level 2
Level 2

SOLVED Where is Login??

Post by RubyStone »

Hi all,
First time ever, there is no login screen prompt until I move the mouse.
Setup: laptop, external hdmi screen - default for boot up because I keep main screen closed after I push to power button - when the system boots there is no login prompt until I move the mouse and then all else is okay. No other mint version had this behavior.

Anyone else?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Where is Login??

Post by smurphos »

inxi -Fxz please.

If you are using Mint 19 and have kernel 4.15.0-24 active it's a known issue solved by booting into an earlier kernel and removing 4.15.0-24
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
RubyStone
Level 2
Level 2

Post by RubyStone »

smurphos, thanks. However, I am using kernel 4.15.0-20-generic. Still has this issue.

Note, even though the login box doesn't show until I move the mouse, if I enter my password it will log me in. However, I like to see that box as I should.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

RubyStone wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:35 am Hi all,
First time ever, there is no login screen prompt until I move the mouse.
Setup: laptop, external hdmi screen - default for boot up because I keep main screen closed after I push to power button - when the system boots there is no login prompt until I move the mouse and then all else is okay. No other mint version had this behavior.

Anyone else?
Yeah, it's a bit annoying, the slick-greeter defaults to the internal screen no matter what. Saw the devs claim in some rejected bug reports that it follows the X server setting but in reality it doesn't, it'll enable and primary the internal screen even with a closed lid. I haven't checked the code, but it's clearly bugged.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

when you move that mouse, or even before that:
- is there the User-Name for the machine - showing on the actual greeter-screen ?.
that you can then click on ?.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Do you have a choice of monitor in the Login Window settings module? Perhaps changing it from Auto to specify a monitor might help.

For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

smurphos wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:44 am Do you have a choice of monitor in the Login Window settings module? Perhaps changing it from Auto to specify a monitor might help.
Hmm. This didn't use to work before, that's why I said it ignores settings, but I guess it does now? I don't remember an update, maybe it'll break again later, but thanks for the reminder so far. ;)
RubyStone
Level 2
Level 2

Post by RubyStone »

Smurphos, your suggestion worked. I set default to my HDMI screen NOT Auto. So, maybe the auto function is not working well or needs a little tweaking. As to what appears on the screen, before there was nothing at all on the screen except my wallpaper. Now, with setting to default to HDMI, and not Auto, everything is as it was. I just hope no issues come up when I'm on my internal screen only.

I guess this is solved for now unless another issue arises.

Thank you all. Amazing how much better support we all get compared to certain other "big" companies. Just shows the true power of free minds.

Cheers

Return to “Installation & Boot”