[SOLVED]Device for Boot Loader Installation

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bill_steamshovel
Level 3
Level 3

[SOLVED]Device for Boot Loader Installation

Post by bill_steamshovel »

Hello,

Am ready to pull the trigger on an installation.Have diligently worked my way through install document here ........https://linuxmint-installation-guide.re ... stall.html

Please ..... a double check ? Total newb ..... didn't even know what a partition or a swap was until half an hour ago.

I have created a 100GB partition for the installl and a 8GB swap space, created the partitions in WIndows and then assigned swap and ext4 and mount \ during the install setup.

What is the Device for Boot Loader Installation ? Is that the same as the Windows Boot Manager ? See attached jpeg
Ready to Pull Trigger.JPG
Maybe that's defined somewhere and I haven't the skills to understand it when I read it.

Thanks

Bill
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gm10

Re: Device for Boot Loader Installation

Post by gm10 »

bill_steamshovel wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:57 am What is the Device for Boot Loader Installation ? Is that the same as the Windows Boot Manager ? See attached jpeg
It's the drive and potentially partition to install the GRUB2 boot loader to. In case of doubt just leave it on /dev/sda (you didn't actually include a screenshot).
bill_steamshovel
Level 3
Level 3

Thanks

.... off and running in a minute or two ....

Bill
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Weird, hadn't seen the screenshot before. Just to confirm, /dev/sda it is.
bill_steamshovel
Level 3
Level 3

Re: [SOLVED]Device for Boot Loader Installation

Hey gm10

Thanks for your help.

Looks like it did something and will start another thread to find out what went wrong.

Bill
ajaya123

Post by ajaya123 »

if you dont know any thing just install grub at /dev/sda , never install it on /boot or sda1 etc for new user :idea:
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

bill_steamshovel wrote:.
Just a fyi, for UEFI install mode, the "Device for boot loader installation" should be the EFI System Partition(= a smallish fat32 partition). In your case, it is the same as Windows Boot Manager at /sda1, ie not /sda.
....... /sda or the internal hard-drive is for Legacy BIOS install mode.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

michael louwe wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:35 pm
bill_steamshovel wrote:.
Just a fyi, for UEFI install mode, the "Device for boot loader installation" should be the EFI System Partition(= a smallish fat32 partition). In your case, it is the same as Windows Boot Manager at /sda1, ie not /sda.
....... /sda or the internal hard-drive is for Legacy BIOS install mode.
Also just FYI (this thread is long done, it was necro'd by the guy above you just like the other one) on why I told him to leave it at /sda, extract from the installer sources:

Code: Select all

if [ "$grub_package" = grub-efi ]; then
	# No need for install device selection on EFI.
	bootdev=efi-dummy
	state=3
In other words, it doesn't matter what you select in EFI mode. If you want to place your EFI bootloader in a custom location you'll have to run grub-install manually.
Last edited by gm10 on Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ gm10, .......
gm10 wrote:.
This is geared toward new Linux users who have a newer UEFI-based computer that has Windows 8/8.1/10 pre-installed.

* VERY IMPORTANT STEP!!! Near bottom of window, "Device for bootloader installation" should be the EFI System Partition. Select that one in the drop-down box. It will be a small (200-550MB) partition formatted as FAT32. It will likely be /dev/sda1 or /dev/sda2; but double-check that to be sure.
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=163126 ([TUTORIAL] Installing Mint on a Windows 8/8.1/10 Computer)
Last edited by michael louwe on Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
JasonBourne

Post by JasonBourne »

thanks guys, this addresses my issue

Return to “Installation & Boot”