Boot from Linux Mint Live usb stick without network

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RobertoR

Boot from Linux Mint Live usb stick without network

Post by RobertoR »

Is there a way to boot the Linux Mint Live usb stick with the network disabled?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gm10

Re: Boot from Linux Mint Live usb stick without network

Post by gm10 »

Never had a problem with that, why would it need a network connection?
RobertoR

Post by RobertoR »

I don't know why the installer need a internet connection (maybe for to download some updates), but when I boot the LM Live usb-stick the network manager is directly connected to the router (and with that internet). What I want is that the network manager is disabled when booting from the LM Live usb-stick. Is that possible with editing the grub boot options?
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Yes, but can't you just disable networking after the boot or just pull the cable? I don't see the problem.

The installer doesn't need an Internet connection, either, in fact due to a bug in the current live images it is recommended to install without an Internet connection to prevent the downloading of updates, otherwise the boot loader installation will fail.
RobertoR

Post by RobertoR »

Taking out the network cable would be a option in many cases, but I need to install a lot of computers, and the last time we did that I broke some cables. And my boss don't want that there is any network connection before the computer is installed and after a firewall!

That's the reason why i want that the LM live usb-stick setup starts without the network manager connected to the network.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Saw your other thread you made just now and was reminded that we never solved this one. Several ways to do this.

Probably the best is to add authentication to your network, because it really should have it given your policies. Also your network should be firewalled at the router, not rely on firewalls on the individual boxes.

If you nevertheless want to disable networking on the live USB, you can disable the network driver in GRUB. Press e at the grub menu, find where it says quiet splash and add modprobe.blacklist=r8169 afterwards. This is for the common Realtek network chips, if you're using another you might need to blacklist a different driver.

Return to “Installation & Boot”