password root forgotten

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
giulio233

password root forgotten

Post by giulio233 »

Good evening, I am writing to you because I desperately need help, the root password of my linux mint silvia system I do not remember anymore.
So I did the restore steps by entering, in the system grub and, through linux recovery writing at the end: rw init = / bin / bash.
Then I pressed f10 and showed me on video that rw did not exist, so he sent me in another window with choices and chose linux recovery, then I appeared another series of choices and I chose root that made me root ... and here we are almost at the end, I wrote: "passwd giulio", he asked me for the password to be changed twice, but then it appeared to me the writing "error manipulation token authentication, password unchanged".
So I tried to write to see how to fix: mount -o remount, and I was presented with a series of commands whose meaning I do not know.
I state that the system is installed on virtualbox, and sometimes tells me that I can not perform various things as root, being on virtualbox,
then the files I have inside are very important and if I lose them I'm fried.
I ask you linux experts how I can solve this problem, avoiding to format everything, and have a clear idea of ​​what to do.

P.S. I do not have much time to resolve the issue

Thank you so much in advance

Giulio.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: password root forgotten

Post by jimallyn »

These instructions have worked for many Mint users:

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/5

Be sure to follow the instructions exactly!
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

jimallyn wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:07 pm These instructions have worked for many Mint users:

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/5

Be sure to follow the instructions exactly!
Did you explicitly change the root password after you installed Mint? If not, and there is no reason to, then the root password should be the same as your user password. Now if the user/root password is what you have forgotten then follow jimallyn's advice.
Mute Ant

Post by Mute Ant »

o You can usefully make duplicates of the virtual machine, on different drives. It's not as good as having the files on a USB stick in a safe, but it's better than only having one copy.

o Sylvia works without a root password anyway, forgetting it won't upset the OS, setting it won't make a lot of difference.

o If the important files are encrypted, at some point you will need the original password. If that's never going to happen, you're fried...
"Data stored in the volume will only be accessible with the correct password. If you lose this security key, all data will be lost."

o If the files are not encrypted, a live-session Mint can read everything. Start the virtual machine, attach a Mint distribution ISO as the optical drive and when it boots, choose Compatibility Mode. That gives you a stable GUI platform from which to examine the broken system and copy out files.

Return to “Installation & Boot”