Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
n_ganpat
Level 1
Level 1

partitioning

Post by n_ganpat » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:15 pm

Dear all,

After the win10 update of April, my laptop stopped working and I booted up Linux mint from USB stick to work temporarily. However, I am quite impressed and want to install it on my hard drive. However, I do want to keep the option open to install windows again at some point in the future as I would need it for certain applications.

Using the partition programme Gpart the following screenshot I got. Please could you guide me further as to what I should do to install Linux Mint and in the future Windows.

Thanks,

Naveen
Screenshot from 2018-07-21 16-07-27.png

gm10
Level 13
Level 13

Re: partitioning

Post by gm10 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:36 pm

I'd just install it into that 25GB LENOVO OEM recovery partition, you don't really need that, anyway (unless you're a rare fan of their bloatware). You can install it alongside your existing Windows installation. Make a backup of important files regardless.

michael louwe
Level 9
Level 9

Post by michael louwe » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:12 pm

@ n_ganpat, .......
n_ganpat wrote:.
So, your Win 10 was borked by the April 2018 or Version 1803 Update/Upgrade. Yes.?
....... Do you have the Win 10 Recovery USB Flash-drive which should have been created soon after the purchase of a new OEM Win 10 computer.?

Because you need Win 10 for certain applications, you should reinstall Win 10 on your laptop, eg by downloading the ISO file from M$'s website. No point delaying.

Because Windows does not read Linux files, Win 10 should be installed before Linux Mint for a dual-boot setup = the Linux Grub Menu will be displayed during startup for the user to choose to boot either Linux or Windows.
....... Win 10 can be installed after Linux but you must know how to repair the Windows Boot Manager with the commandline bcdedit tool, in order to be able to dual-boot either OS.

Because Win 10's forced auto-updates/upgrades will bork the Linux Grub bootloader = LM cannot boot and only Win 10 can boot = may require a manual reinstall of Grub( https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/6 ) , it is advisable to separate Win 10 from LM on different drives or machines. Eg, ...
1. Run 2 computers for each OS.
2. Keep Win 10 on the laptop and install LM on a virtual machine, eg by using VirtualBox or VMWare. Vice versa if you have a Win 10 Retail or Enterprise license, ie keep LM installed on the laptop and install Win 10 on a virtual machine. Your laptop should have at least 4GB of RAM, in order to run a virtual machine comfortably.
3. Reinstall Win 10 on your laptop in Legacy BIOS/MBR(ms-dos) mode and install LM on an external USB hard-drive.
4. Run a Live LM USB Flash-drive with Persistent Storage of >4GB = system changes made will be retained and persist through reboots.

To install LM as single-boot, just use the automatic "Erase disk and install LM" method. If you use the manual "Something else" install method and UEFI mode, you will need to create your own EFI System Partition = fat32/550MB/mount point is boot/efi; as the 1st partition.
....... Later, if you want to install Win 10, it would be better and easier for you to reinstall Win 10 as a single-boot and then install LM alongside Win 10 as a dual-boot.

If you want, you can still install LM alongside Win 10 on your laptop. First reinstall Win 10. The default install mode should be UEFI/GPT. Personally, I prefer Legacy BIOS install mode.
....... Thereafter, for some guidance on dual-booting LM alongside Win 10/8.1 in UEFI and GPT-disk mode, please refer to .......
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=163126 (Tutorial for dual-booting UEFI computers)
http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... ct/windows
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... nt-install
https://www.tecmint.com/install-linux-m ... uefi-mode/ (note step 17 - if Win 8.x/10 could not boot, <sudo update-grub>)
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=122276 (manual partitioning Tutorial for Legacy BIOS mode and MBR/ms-dos disks)[use as a guide for UEFI mode install]

Ensure that Secure Boot, Fast Boot and CSM(or Legacy BIOS) are disabled in BIOS Setup, Fast Startup is disabled in Win 10/8.1(>Control Panel >Power options) and the Live LM media(DVD or USB-stick) is booted in UEFI mode from the Boot Menu in BIOS Setup.

To dual-boot, you only need to pre-shrink the Windows partition if you intend to use the manual "Something else" install method, ie no need to do so if you intend to use the automatic "install LM alongside Windows Boot Manager" method, which will be followed by the LM Installer auto-partitioning the disk and auto-installing the Linux Grub bootloader onto the Windows ESP. Only a root / and swap partition will be auto-created with a total default size of about 20GB. The user will be given the option to increase this default size by moving a slider on the colored Partition table, subject to the maximum available free space in the Windows partition.

For the "Something else" install method, manually partition the pre-shrunk free space accordingly, eg 50GB for /, 1.5X RAM size for Swap(at the end of this space) and 200GB for Home; and ensure that the "Device for boot loader installation" is the Windows EFI System Partition(= ESP = fat32/about 104MB/mount point is /boot/efi or flagged as boot,esp) which is usually dev/sda1.

P S - Certain OEM Win 8.x/10 computers, eg Acer, Asus and HP, have an obstructive or pro-M$ BIOS Setup setting for "select an UEFI file as trusted for executing",(= Linux cannot boot). For the fix, please refer to ...
https://community.acer.com/en/discussio ... 15-51-78c6
https://itsfoss.com/no-bootable-device-found-ubuntu/
viewtopic.php?t=236560

n_ganpat
Level 1
Level 1

Post by n_ganpat » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:09 pm

Dear michael louwe,

Thank you so much for your elaborate response. It is much appreciated. See my response:

1. "So, your Win 10 was borked by the April 2018 or Version 1803 Update/Upgrade. Yes.?" YES, that is correct. So what happened? It stopped working indeed and I am not able to boot it up using a USB stick. It recognises my stick (Fat32) but does not boot up. Goes into the loop mode. Been working on it for a month now and chatting back and forth with both Lenovo as well as Microsoft. In the end Lenovo UK asked me to send over the laptop which they will "repair" for at least GBP200 as there might be something with the hard drive.

2. Given 1. above do you think I should just make this my permanent Linux laptop since I also have a win10 desktop 8gb Phenom at home, which is now working fine. I wanted to have Linux on my desktop installed as I take my laptop with to hackatons and stuff so would be needing Windows anyway.

3. My strategy is to wait untill they figure a fix that is caused by the April update and then install windows on my laptop again. What do you think?

Cheers,

Naveen

michael louwe
Level 9
Level 9

Post by michael louwe » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:57 am

@ n_ganpat, .......
Confirm you can boot the Live LM USB on your borked Win 10 Lenovo laptop but cannot boot the Windows Recovery USB.?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-my/hel ... ry-options (Recovery options in Windows 10)
....... Last resort is to reinstall Win 10 by using a Win 10 Install USB/DVD ... https://www.techsupportall.com/how-to-c ... installer/

If I were you, I would install LM on its own internal hard-drive or its own external USB hard-drive or virtual machine on the desktop while retaining Win 10 on its own internal hard-drive.

For the Lenovo laptop, I would retain Win 10 on its own internal hard-drive and create a portable Live LM USB with >4GB of Persistent Storage. Ensure that the BIOS Setup setting for the internal hard-drive is not RAID or Intel RST.

n_ganpat
Level 1
Level 1

Post by n_ganpat » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:40 pm

HI,

Re.:"Confirm you can boot the Live LM USB on your borked Win 10 Lenovo laptop but cannot boot the Windows Recovery USB.?"
==> Yes, I can confirm that this is the case.

I spent hours and hours burning USB stick and did all the steps you are mentioning. It recognizes the USB but does not boot up. Then I paid to have a data recovery done and spent hours on the chat with both MS and Lenovo helpchat.

In the end Lenovo people said to send it over for repair as either the hard disk is broken or the Motherboard needs to be replaced. I told my friend and he suggested I try Linux. Quite strange that it work on Linux while either hard disk or motherboard is broken. Is Linux so magical?

Anyway, I want to install Linux but wonder if I will ever be able to install Win10 again. Like you suggest, I rather have Linux on my desktop but it is now on the laptop albeit through USB boot.

Any ideas?

cheers,

Naveen

HaveaMint
Level 4
Level 4

Post by HaveaMint » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:47 pm

n_ganpat wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:40 pm

In the end Lenovo people said to send it over for repair as either the hard disk is broken or the Motherboard needs to be replaced. I told my friend and he suggested I try Linux. Quite strange that it work on Linux while either hard disk or motherboard is broken. Is Linux so magical?
Well there's proof Mint even works on dead PC's lol
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".

michael louwe
Level 9
Level 9

Post by michael louwe » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:19 am

@ n_ganpat, .......
Try checking and/or repairing the internal hard-disk/drive by using the GParted program on a Live LM DVD/USB >right mouse click on an unmounted drive has "Check" and I believe it does a fsck.
....... Or from the Live LM USB/DVD, do a e2fsck -fctv /dev/sdx(eg sdx = sda for the internal hard-drive)

Have you check the BIOS Setup setting for the internal hard-drive, ie should not be RAID/Intel RST but should be AHCI.?

If the internal hard-drive or motherboard has been fried by the Windows 10 April 2018 Update(Version 1803 Update), there is not much to be done except to replace the failed hardware and/or stop using Win 10.

Return to “Installation & Boot”