Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
danix01
Level 1
Level 1

stuck at GNU GRUB after trying to install linux mint 19

Post by danix01 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:11 am

hi, first of all, sorry , my english is not good and also my linux skill so please bear with me, ok now here's my problem :

[*]last week I just installed linux mint 18.3(Cinnamon) by replacing my window 10 and all the process is good , found some weird things like Cinnamon use to much cpu resources sometimes, kinda annoying but can deal with it.

[*]until recently linux mint just got a new version .Tara 19. so I want to upgrade from 18.3 to 19 but I'm to lazy to follow the process of upgrading and got this stupid idea by replacing 18.3 - 19 (same process like how to replace window 10 with linux mint)

[*] now this is where I think I got the GNU grub problem. When I tried to install linux mint 19 in usb live media,there was this error message that say something like kernel load fail (I don't remember much at that time).

Well after I failed the 19 installation , I thought by shutting down and restart on my usual o.s/distro/version 18.3 (don't know what to call the o.s part) , maybe I have to change something in setting (like where you have to turn off fast startup in Windows 10) but the linux mint loading didn't appear,what appears instead is gnu grub.

Solution that i have tried
- I tried to do usb live, it didn't show my usb live in eufi , check the eufi setting , nothing change, i have read some solution said that i should disable the secure boot and I checked the secure boot, it's already disabled.

At this point, i don't even know what to do anymore.

michael louwe
Level 9
Level 9

Re: stuck at GNU GRUB after trying to install linux mint 19

Post by michael louwe » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:01 am

danix01 wrote:.
Try a reinstall of LM 18.3 and stick to it. The future LM 19.1 should be more stable.

In general, old computers are more compatible with old Linux kernels, eg the 2008-era Intel Core2Duo processors should stay on kernel 4.4 LTS. ...
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... el-updates

"Do not fix what ain't broken".

gm10
Level 7
Level 7

Post by gm10 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:11 am

Sounds like this issue:
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=273058

The ISOs have been fixed but are not officially available yet, so the issue remains for now.

Pjotr
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pjotr » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:19 am

gm10 wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:11 am
Sounds like this issue:
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=273058

The ISOs have been fixed but are not officially available yet, so the issue remains for now.
Well, they *are* already available as v2:
http://mintmirror.math.washington.edu/l ... stable/19/

I'm not sure whether there'll be any further official announcement of the v2's.

In my opinion the most logical approach would be, to simply remove the old flawed iso's from the mirrors. And leave the v2 name addition of the new iso's intact, in order to make clear that they're different from the original iso's. No further confusion, job done.

That would be, as they say in the north of the Netherlands, "the shortest blow" (de kortste klap).
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19 Tara
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

gm10
Level 7
Level 7

Post by gm10 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:42 am

Pjotr wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:19 am
In my opinion the most logical approach would be, to simply remove the old flawed iso's from the mirrors. And leave the v2 name addition of the new iso's intact, in order to make clear that they're different from the original iso's. No further confusion, job done.
It's just about certain that they will keep the -v2 naming or there wouldn't have been a reason to distribute them under that name in the first place. It just needs the download page switching over to the new name for it to become official, currently it still points to the original version.

Pjotr
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pjotr » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:57 am

gm10 wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:42 am
It just needs the download page switching over to the new name for it to become official, currently it still points to the original version.
On this download page, the links seem to point to the v2's:
https://linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=254

I haven't checked them all. Which download page is still at fault?
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19 Tara
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

gm10
Level 7
Level 7

Post by gm10 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:14 am

Pjotr wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:57 am
gm10 wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:42 am
It just needs the download page switching over to the new name for it to become official, currently it still points to the original version.
On this download page, the links seem to point to the v2's:
https://linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=254
Did that just change? I had checked just before doing the original post, was still the old links then. So it's official now then. Good. Another problem solved. :)

Return to “Installation & Boot”