Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
helmar
Level 2
Level 2

Laptop freezing after suspend/hibernating

Post by helmar »

Hi guys.

I'm not a newbie in using but I'm not an IT person.

I've been using Mint for 3 years and I love it! Linux user for over ten years.

My laptop is a LeNovo G40 Core i5 12GB RAM and it's been a long time since a particular issue is bothering me.

I never turn my laptop off. Almost all the time I use it on A/C power and very few times on battery.
Either on A/C power or battery when I close the lid and open again after a while, my laptop isn't able to restart. For a long time, the Power Manager was set to "suspend" when the lid is closed. Then, I tried to change the setting to "Hibernate". In both conditions many times the laptop doesn't restart properly. It freezes the screen (either on a black screen or in desktop background) forcing me to physically restart the laptop on the power button.

Can anyone lend a hand on me to help me figure it out? It's quite annoying since I need to go out and back to work several times a day.

Thanks in advance!

JoeFootball
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Laptop freezing after suspend/hibernating

Post by JoeFootball »

helmar wrote:...forcing me to physically restart the laptop on the power button.
I don't have a solution, but wanted to say that you'll eventually corrupt your file system that way.

As an alternate option, hold down Alt + SysRq, and type r e i s u o, waiting a second or two between keystrokes. This will (usually) shutdown your computer cleanly, and preserve your file system. More info here.

For what it's worth, I've never found any OS to have a foolproof resume from Sleep, Suspend, Hibernation, etc., as there's always some peripheral that doesn't "wake up" properly or otherwise. Besides, Linux shuts down and boots up fast enough for my purposes. Speaking only for myself, of course.

Joe

LienRag
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LienRag »

Thanks joe, I never heard of that solution...
Last edited by LienRag on Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LienRag
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LienRag »

reisuo or reisub, btw?

None of them works actually, maybe because I can't find the right sysreq key...

helmar
Level 2
Level 2

Post by helmar »

JoeFootball wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:51 pm
helmar wrote:...forcing me to physically restart the laptop on the power button.
I don't have a solution, but wanted to say that you'll eventually corrupt your file system that way.

As an alternate option, hold down Alt + SysRq, and type r e i s u o, waiting a second or two between keystrokes. This will (usually) shutdown your computer cleanly, and preserve your file system. More info here.

For what it's worth, I've never found any OS to have a foolproof resume from Sleep, Suspend, Hibernation, etc., as there's always some peripheral that doesn't "wake up" properly or otherwise. Besides, Linux shuts down and boots up fast enough for my purposes. Speaking only for myself, of course.

Joe
Thanks Joe
This is new for me and I will do that when I need to reboot.
Hope someone else helps me to get this fixed.

I'm even thinking about trying another distro if nobody can help me.

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

helmar wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:22 am
Well, you didn't provide information about your system, we are not psychic. Both of you should read the forum rules on "how to get help" , linked in red above every thread, in your case for lack of details, in the other guy's case about making their own thread.

Post output of

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
at least, check your logs, /var/log/kern.log has info about kernel mode drivers, one of those does crash or otherwise misbehave after the resume. /var/log/syslog might have additional information.

helmar
Level 2
Level 2

Post by helmar »

gm10 wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:53 am
helmar wrote:
Well, you didn't provide information about your system, we are not psychic. Both of you should read the forum rules on "how to get help" , linked in red above every thread, in your case for lack of details, in the other guy's case about making their own thread.

Post output of

inxi -Fxz
at least, check your logs, /var/log/kern.log has info about kernel mode drivers, one of those does crash or otherwise misbehave after the resume. /var/log/syslog might have additional information.
Thanks, gm10. Don't need to be that rude but thanks.

System:    Host: helmar-Lenovo-G40-70 Kernel: 4.4.0-131-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.0.7 (Gtk 3.18.306-1ubuntu3.4)
           Distro: Linux Mint 18 Sarah
Machine:   System: LENOVO (portable) product: 80GA v: Lenovo G40-70
           Mobo: LENOVO model: Lancer 4A2 v: SDK0E50515STD
           Bios: LENOVO v: 9ACN29WW date: 10/20/2014
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i5-4200U (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 9178
           clock speeds: max: 2600 MHz 1: 1618 MHz 2: 1752 MHz 3: 1425 MHz
           4: 1485 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller
           bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1366x768@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Haswell Mobile
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 17.0.7 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card-1 Intel 8 Series HD Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Card-2 Intel Haswell-ULT HD Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:03.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.4.0-131-generic
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: 3000 bus-ID: 01:00.0
           IF: enp1s0 state: down mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Qualcomm Atheros QCA9565 / AR9565 Wireless Network Adapter
           driver: ath9k bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: wlp2s0 state: up mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1000.2GB (3.6% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: ST1000LM024_HN size: 1000.2GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 615G used: 28G (5%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda8
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 6.36GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda7
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 42.0C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 218 Uptime: 2:08 Memory: 3556.7/11911.6MB
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35
Should I attach syslog file here or upload the file to share an external link?

JoeFootball
Level 8
Level 8

Post by JoeFootball »

LienRag wrote:reisuo or reisub, btw?
Your choice. The one ending with o will shut off the computer. The one ending with b will reboot the computer.
LienRag wrote:None of them works actually, maybe because I can't find the right sysreq key...
More info on that key here.

Joe

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

Probably better external, or ideally you look through it for errors yourself and post only those. ;)

Without checking those you could already try to disable your network drivers like this before you suspend, see if you resume successfully:

sudo modprobe -r r8169
sudo modprobe -r ath9k
If you don't crash run the same commands again without the -r part to restore your network connectivity.

Another thing to consider is trying a more recent kernel version.

LienRag
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LienRag »

JoeFootball wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:51 am
LienRag wrote:None of them works actually, maybe because I can't find the right sysreq key...
More info on that key here.

Joe
Thanks, but the thing is that I don't have a Print Screen key - it's activated by pressing "Fn" and "home" keys.
So I tried alt+home, alt+fn+home, and none of them worked.
There is another key with picture on it between altgr and right ctrl but alt-pressing it doesn't achieve much either (on the terminal it prints a question mark in a circle, that's all).

LienRag
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LienRag »

gm10 wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:53 am
helmar wrote:

Post output of

inxi -Fxz
I apologize, I've read the "how to get help" and its advice "search for existing topics with the same question" and wasn't sure if the best was to use the existing topic with the same question (but not the same computer, I reckon) or adding a new thread.
So on your advice I've made my own and will clean this one.

JoeFootball
Level 8
Level 8

Post by JoeFootball »

LienRag wrote:Thanks, but the thing is that I don't have a Print Screen key - it's activated by pressing "Fn" and "home" keys.
So I tried alt+home, alt+fn+home, and none of them worked.
Note that it's not the Print Screen key that you're looking to use, but the System Request key. Your keyboard may make that distinction.

Joe

LienRag
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LienRag »

Sure, but how can I find it?

JoeFootball
Level 8
Level 8

Post by JoeFootball »

LienRag wrote:Sure, but how can I find it?
I'm not familiar with all keyboard layouts, but I'd like to think that some smaller/older keyboards may not be able to natively accommodate the functionality of the full 104-key standard.

That said, you can remap keys to produce the same result as a SysRq key. But before you pursue that, I'd verify that there's not already a way to produce that functionality with your keyboard as-is. i.e., check documentation, internet search on your specific keyboard, contact manufacturer, etc.

Joe

carum carvi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by carum carvi »

If you cant find that SystemRq key I would also advice you to do what you thought of yourself already: change distro. That worked best for all those who were suffering from the same suspend problems. Often changing kernel within the same distro works too. For example I have read lots of problems with suspend on LM18.3, but those who downgraded back to LM18.2 were free of those suspend problems. The Mate desktop is known to be the best supporter for hardware, you could try that one, although I like Cinnamon that much that I find it hard to change.

Besides wifi hardware conflicts, suspend hardware conflicts are possibly the most reported problem mentioned by new linux mint users. Although you have been using Linux for 10 years now, you just might have been lucky to have hardware before that didnt have problems with suspend or hibernate.

If changing distro doesnt work either, you just have to keep pressing that power button unfortunately.
Last possible tip: What I have read is that sometimes selecting "suspend" in the menu will work, while closing the lid does NOT work. Numerous examples of that are mentioned in this forum as well. Good luck with trying out different distros and kernels. I have had similar problems. My girlfriend has to do what you do: hard power off every time.

helmar
Level 2
Level 2

Post by helmar »

Thanks. Another guy has invaded this topic with his own problem and the main subject has been lost in between his problems.

I'm really thinking about changing my distro.

Does anyone have these suspending problems in Mint Tara?

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

In case you missed my post above in the middle of the off-topic clutter: viewtopic.php?p=1506821#p1506821

JoeFootball
Level 8
Level 8

Post by JoeFootball »

helmar wrote:Does anyone have these suspending problems in Mint Tara?
Back on topic indeed, as I too am curious as to a solution, but I wonder if one exists anywhere. To answer your question, yes, but not limited to LM 19.

My pessimism stems from the fact that I encounter this with every OS that I try on any computer. For whatever reason, I've never had flawless success with resuming from suspend/hibernate/sleep/etc regardless of system or hardware.

The issues differ. Sometimes it's readily apparent (such as your issue) where some hardware peripheral won't "wake up" properly, other times its in the background where I later discover something isn't responding/running as expected, and other times it's just that the CPU/GPU benchmarks lower after a resume than after a cold boot. And I'm sure there are other issues that I've not yet uncovered.

My experience isn't limited to LM. I've tried other distros off the Debian/Ubuntu branch, Red Hat/Fedora branch, Slackware/SUSE branch, and Arch/Manjaro branch. I can't find one that works impeccably across the board. And this has been with numerous PCs.

That all said, my boots and shutdowns are fast enough for my purposes, and I rarely need to preserve sessions for any reason, so (for me) this issue is more of a nagging curiosity, but I know it affects many.

Joe

helmar
Level 2
Level 2

Post by helmar »

JoeFootball wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:19 am
helmar wrote:Does anyone have these suspending problems in Mint Tara?
Back on topic indeed, as I too am curious as to a solution, but I wonder if one exists anywhere. To answer your question, yes, but not limited to LM 19.

My pessimism stems from the fact that I encounter this with every OS that I try on any computer. For whatever reason, I've never had flawless success with resuming from suspend/hibernate/sleep/etc regardless of system or hardware.

The issues differ. Sometimes it's readily apparent (such as your issue) where some hardware peripheral won't "wake up" properly, other times its in the background where I later discover something isn't responding/running as expected, and other times it's just that the CPU/GPU benchmarks lower after a resume than after a cold boot. And I'm sure there are other issues that I've not yet uncovered.

My experience isn't limited to LM. I've tried other distros off the Debian/Ubuntu branch, Red Hat/Fedora branch, Slackware/SUSE branch, and Arch/Manjaro branch. I can't find one that works impeccably across the board. And this has been with numerous PCs.

That all said, my boots and shutdowns are fast enough for my purposes, and I rarely need to preserve sessions for any reason, so (for me) this issue is more of a nagging curiosity, but I know it affects many.

Joe
Thanks Joe.

I assume that I will be keeping LM 18 and using the r e i s u b option every time I get a freeze on rebooting.

JoeFootball
Level 8
Level 8

Post by JoeFootball »

helmar wrote:Thanks Joe. I assume that I will be keeping LM 18 and using the r e i s u b option every time I get a freeze on rebooting.
You're welcome, but don't let my experience dissuade you from pursuing a solution. Dig into gm10's suggestion. I look forward to your success. :)

Joe

Return to “Installation & Boot”