Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Alfie_ca
Level 1
Level 1

LM 19 Cinnamon live DVD Important Installation ommissions

Post by Alfie_ca » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:06 pm

After initial failure to install LM19 alongside LM 18.3 that also disabled the Linux boot altogether, I have read the forum suggestions that after Unplugging the internet the install will go fine so I gave it a try.
Hello - pass this over to programmers please.

I do have a separate USB external HDD dedicated for Linux, and separate HDD with Windows 10 installed.
Have booted from live DVD, and once it loaded clicked on Install.
Could have gone to make coffee - took so long to load it.
Now I realized I have not opened my desktop computer and have not unplugged my Windows HDD for safety.
Have now observed critical omissions in the installation sequence:
#1 - The first option there should be an option to Select the Target drive. That is a must for safety.
#2 - When Target drive is selected:
option A - to install the Linux alongside the existing OS (clearly displaying the name of OS found on the target)
option B - format the Target drive and install Linux afresh.

The installation question about installing Linux alongside existing software come only after the option of Install 3d party software was selected.
Next:
It detects Windows version 8 - (well I have had Windows 10 for as long as it is out, and asks If I want to erase disk and install Linux Mint.

Question: What damn disk it wants to install/erase? Unmount all mounted partitions or stuff will not work /@!?
With my windows OS still connected, this s a full emergency Abort!!
----------
There are too many unexplained options in the Live DVD Installation process and none of those critical I have mentioned.
Warnings that if an option is taken one may not be able to BOOT any OS present.
No explanation given - it could be my previous version of LM, or it could be both LM and Windows OS.
I have installed Linux 17.3, 18.1 18.3 from live DVDs without a single problem - simple, fast and effective..

Back to 18.3 until the Live DVD Installation is back to simple.
My best regards to you all.

deepakdeshp
Level 11
Level 11

Re: LM 19 Cinnamon live DVD Important Installation ommissions

Post by deepakdeshp » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:06 am

You can upgrade to Cinnamon 19 from 18.3 too
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
I am using Mint 19 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

Alfie_ca
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Alfie_ca » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:12 am

Well - reply not at all helpful, or relevant. Have you programmed the fix for the next live DVD? I guess that you have you not read my post?
Thanks anyway.

michael louwe
Level 9
Level 9

Post by michael louwe » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:58 am

Alfie_ca wrote:.
If both the internal Win 10 HDD and external USB LM hard-drive are connected, you need to use the manual "Something else" install method to install LM on the latter drive. Using the other install methods will bork the install.

The LM Installer is only configured for automatic normal or mainstream install on an internal hard-drive, ie not for auto-install on multi-drives.

Alfie_ca
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Alfie_ca » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:24 pm

"Alfie_ca" did not wrote that.
Michael, are you the designer/programmer of the installation disk?
If yes, that would explain covering your butt trying to explain what the installation does, ignoring the fact that it is lacking critical information.
Some few lines of simple text would do for the start.
The LM 19 Cinnamon live installation DVD is screwed up. That is the fact.
The forum is full of users that have problems with that.
Users who purchase the live DVD do not have the crystal ball.
If it is indeed designed to ONLY install on internal HDD as you say, it should say so up front and be actually geared to do just and only that.
Also if it indeed is designed that way well - that would be the very first Linux that is specifficaly and maliciously designed to fuddle up the user.
I not only disbelieve your statement, I know for a fact that You are wrong.
I have written my observation for the programmers who will work on the next release of LM 19.
So if you are not the one, do not bother with another reply.
Thank you for your effort anyway.
Best regards
Alfie

michael louwe
Level 9
Level 9

Post by michael louwe » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:41 pm

@ Alfie, .......
"Erase disk and install Linux Mint" - - - not "Erase disks and install Linux Mint"

"Install Linux Mint alongside Windows" - - - not "Install Linux Mint on another drive alongside Windows on the internal hard drive"

Something else = Something else
Last edited by michael louwe on Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

thx-1138
Level 6
Level 6

Post by thx-1138 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:01 pm

...lmao - so much anger...epic thread!!! :lol:
I not only disbelieve your statement, I know for a fact that You are wrong.
...and I know for a fact that depending on the vendor's UEFI quirks (& furthermore upon which hemisphere someone resides in),
michael could equally get grub up & running for you inside a tropical coconut,
or alternatively, into a stuffed turkey which has been lying under the xmas tree... :D

...Regardless of any limitations in Mint's installer (i can understand the frustration, who hasn't been there at least once...) -
try to calm down first (if nothing else, to avoid destroying data accidentally), then try following the advice given above...

Alfie_ca
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Alfie_ca » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:33 pm

My sincere apology to you Michael, and to alt offended.
And thanks. I have cooled down and rechecked my postings, discovering, that I have been wrong for a fact as well.
My mistake was stating that my Toshiba External 2TB USB HDD was the drive dedicated to Linux.
That one is dedicated to my Thunderbird mail client / data only, and at this same time I had related problem with.
I am sorry that it had gone there, my fault.
Not angry, just frustrated.
I have never had a single problem with previous Linux Mint live DVD installations.
I have also installed Linux on external USB drive before - so there is where the "You are wrong" for a fact comes from.
Now I have 3 internal Seagate Baracuda 2TB HDD, 2 for Windows, and one for Linux.
That is the actual "internal" HDD I have Linux 18.3 running, and that is the HDD the LM 19 is failing to install.

I sure do believe that many of you could install the Linux from inside the Coconut as you say, so for you no explanations are necessary.
However this knowledge prevents you to actually unlearn it, to realise that what now comes naturally for you - is necessary for someone new.
My omission statement is still valid. You can dismiss it and that is fine, I see it as something critical to be pointed out.
My best regards as always.

JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:10 pm

From your first post, the problem with needing to disconnect the internet has been fixed in V2 of the isos that are now available.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.

michael louwe
Level 9
Level 9

Post by michael louwe » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:56 pm

@ Alfie, .......
Assuming you have a Legacy BIOS or pre-2012 computer.

If you did not unplug the 2 Windows internal hard-drives and used the automatic "Install LM 19 alongside LM 18.3" option, this would have resulted in a borked multi-drives system.

If so, below is a rough guide for system recovery. Perform at your own discretion and risk.

If Windows cannot boot, try to fix the Windows MBR ... https://www.dell.com/support/article/my ... pc?lang=en (How to repair the EFI bootloader on a GPT HDD or repair the MBR, for Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 on your Dell PC)

If Windows has now been fixed and can be booted, shutdown the computer and unplug the 2 Windows drives, in order to play safe.
....... If LM 19 and 18.3 cannot be booted, you can try to ...
1. just reinstall the LM 19 Grub bootloader on the Linux drive ... https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/grub or ...

2. reinstall LM 19 by using the manual "Something else" install method, ie first delete the previous faulty LM 19 partitions by clicking "-", re-partition the newly-created free-space accordingly. Make sure to not touch or click on the LM 18.3 partitions ... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=122276 (manual partitioning Tutorial for Legacy BIOS mode and MBR/ms-dos disks)[use as a guide for UEFI mode install]. Ensure that the "Device for boot loader installation" is the Linux hard-drive, eg /sdc.

If both LM 19 and 18.3 can be booted, shutdown the computer. Replug the 2 Windows. Boot from the Linux drive and do a sudo update-grub and then reboot, in order to get a Grub Menu to boot either LM or Windows during startup.

Maybe, only the LM 19 install needs to be fixed, ie no need to fix the Windows MBR = try to fix the Linux drive first, then only fix the Windows drives.
....... If all else fails, backup your important data and reinstall everything.

Alfie_ca
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Alfie_ca » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:44 am

Thank you for your patience and your advice Michael.
Really much appreciate it.
For now I got again both Linux 18.3 and Windows booting fine from the separate HDDs.
My Linux boots up as default OS, windows I boot from UEFI manually.
Should have followed earlier advice and left 18.3 as it is.
My beginner's issues I thought would be addressed in v 19.
Fresh re-installation of 18.3 fixed some, and that is fine - I will keep learning, while waiting for next release DVD.
my best regards
Tony

Return to “Installation & Boot”