Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Cerveth
Level 1
Level 1

Blind installation for AIO PC

Post by Cerveth » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:09 pm

Hello, I have big problems with an installation of the latest Linux Mint (19 Cinnamon 64) in an AllInOne PC from Lenovo. Long story short, the monitor is broken and I can't see anything, boot fails at normal startup but works with NOMODESET (I know it works that way for the chime sound at the startup of OS).
I need to install the OS with some directions or with ORCA guiding me but I can't find any help on the internet so here is what I need in the installation of Linux in this machine:

1.- Start the installation wizard
2.- Use "Spanish" for my native language
3.- Use the entire disk option for installation (120GB SSD)
4.- Install all codecs (MP3, Fluendo, etc.)
5.- Setup Keyboard in "Spanish-Spain"
6.- Set "Mexico" for my Zone
7.- Setup username, and password protection (Ask for password at the beggining) not LVMA protection

I'm working with no monitor and the HDMI monitor is not recognized at the startup, so the default options are enought for me.
Please give me some advice for the installation and thanks for the help.

VGA is not an option for this, the monitor I'm using for this is an old TV with an HDMI, RFC and Component input. It works with the preinstalled Windows 10 (I think it's a drivers problem). When Linux Mint starts in NOMODESET it doesn't recognize the video output of the computer, if I try to install it with the default settings the computer starts with some errors showing in the verbose mode and then simply turns off just after Linux Mint logo starts then the machine restart the whole process again in a loop. I managed to setup the NOMODESET counting the number of "clicks" for each command: Press "E", Down 4 times, Right 4 times, Backspace 12 times, write NOMODESET, Ctrl-X. But there is no video output, only the chime sound indicates me that the system started. Need some guidance for the navigation just clicking some keys step by step.
Last edited by Cerveth on Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deepakdeshp
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Blind installation for AIO PC

Post by deepakdeshp » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:30 am

You get vga to HDMI cables which you can use to connect the monitor
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
I am using Mint 19 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

Cerveth
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Cerveth » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:53 pm

I only need to start ORCA at the startup or a guide using the keyboard counting the number of keys that I need to press, thanks.

Mute Ant
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Mute Ant » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:13 am

No screen? Pull the RAM and the Drive. Recycle the residue. Ebay a duplicate.
https://xkcd.com/722/
Data stored in an encrypted volume will only be accessible with the original password. Without this key, all the data will remain scrambled beyond hope of recovery.

deepakdeshp
Level 11
Level 11

Post by deepakdeshp » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:33 pm

Generic VGA to HDMI Full HD Video 1080P Audio Converter Adapter for PC Laptop DVD TV https://www.amazon.in/dp/B01EY77P5W/ref ... CBbZZ2DQ2K
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.

Cerveth
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Cerveth » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:28 pm

Adapters and converters doesn't works with my TV and the PC only boots with the NOMODESET command so the video drivers don't work and the HDMI port isn't recognized before the installation. I want to install Linux Mint with ORCA on or with some tipe of key advice using the settings in the firts post I made. Thanks.

JerryF
Level 9
Level 9

Post by JerryF » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:13 pm

May I ask why you would want to install an operating system on an all-in-one that has a broken monitor? Seems like a waste of time.
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members.

Mute Ant
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Mute Ant » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:21 pm

"I want to..." You can't get there from here. Mint has a GUI installer, GUI installation needs a working screen.

A machine without a screen is called 'headless' and there are certainly ways of remote-logging-in to a headless machine and exporting the display data, or installing to a drive in another machine and fitting it into headless system, but I doubt very much a list of Up-Down-Left-Right-Fire keypresses for a distribution that didn't exist a year ago. There's nothing like that for older distributions either. Fish don't need bicycles. Snakes don't need shoes.
Data stored in an encrypted volume will only be accessible with the original password. Without this key, all the data will remain scrambled beyond hope of recovery.

deepakdeshp
Level 11
Level 11

Post by deepakdeshp » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:33 am

Mute Ant wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:21 pm
"I want to..." You can't get there from here. Mint has a GUI installer, GUI installation needs a working screen.

A machine without a screen is called 'headless' and there are certainly ways of remote-logging-in to a headless machine and exporting the display data, or installing to a drive in another machine and fitting it into headless system, but I doubt very much a list of Up-Down-Left-Right-Fire keypresses for a distribution that didn't exist a year ago. There's nothing like that for older distributions either. Fish don't need bicycles. Snakes don't need shoes.
Aptly said

Cerveth
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Cerveth » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:15 pm

The monitor broke when we were moving on to our new house, the machine works with Windows 10 and the TV works like a monitor with a HDMI cable. I don't want to use Windows anymore, I want to use Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon 64 in this computer, install it using the default settings and then use my TV like the monitor. I don't want to sell it because the PC is only 1 year old but the warranty expired a month ago, everything in the PC is working fine, I want to use ORCA or another way to install it and then use it with my TV, if the driver installation fails it doesn't matters because I have a cloned HDD just in case the installation fails. Thank you all for your advices.

JerryF
Level 9
Level 9

Post by JerryF » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:15 pm

Try running a live Mint 18.3 and see if that recognizes the video output of the HDMI so you can attached the old TV. If 18.3 does recognize HDMI, install 18.3. Then do an in-place upgrade to 19.
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members.

Cerveth
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Cerveth » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:12 am

Ok, I think I have an idea for the installation of the OS. Is there a way to setup a VNC connection in a live session using only commands in the terminal? In that way I can see the desktop on my android tablet with a VNC client (Need a VNC client suggestion for that), look for the IP address with the tablet and make the connection with the PC. Can it be done that way?

JerryF
Level 9
Level 9

Post by JerryF » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:12 pm

You don't seem to want help, only affirmation on what you want to do, so I'm out of this.

Cerveth
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Cerveth » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:26 pm

All I want to do is install Mint 19 in my computer. I don't want to buy a new one, I don't want a new monitor or gadget for this All In One. Just needed some help for the installation in some way. Yesterday thought a VNC could help me for the installation but I don't know how to configure it without a reboot and ORCA only works for a minute or two and then it closes, I don't know what to do now. Thanks

Return to “Installation & Boot”