[SOLVED] LM19 install failure UEFI

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Sgthawker
Level 4
Level 4

Re: LM19 install failure UEFI

Post by Sgthawker »

The unfortunate issues are due to bleeding edge hardware. I have been there myself. Another distro with a newer kernel on the LiveCD may help. A Facebook group I follow had someone at University having similar issues with her new Ryzen 5 2500U based system and had to go to Antergos with Deepin DE to get going. Cheers!
LM21.1 KDE/LM21.1 Cin/ UEFI Tuf Gaming X570 Plus, Ryzen 7 5800X, GTX 3060, Samsung 980 Pro M.2 NVMe
LM21.1 KDE/LM21.1 Cin/ UEFI on STRIX laptop, i7700 HQ, GTX 1060, Samsung 980 Pro M.2 NVMe
bobinmurphy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bobinmurphy »

I've been trying for a few weeks now to get a dual boot system (NetBSD and Mint) up and running on an HP 6200 MT that supports UEFI and Legacy boot. Here are some of my observations and conclusions that might help others:

Both system kernels (NetBSD and Mint) communicate with the FW during the boot process to find the buses and device that are attached to them. How they find the buses and devices depends on how they were booted; if booted via BIOS they use one method, if booted via UEFI they use an alternate method (which is still relatively new and buggy in both systems).

On my system, NetBSD boots under UEFI but fails to come all the way up because of errors in the way it tries to find the buses and devices. Booting under BIOS works fine. With LM 19 my system will boot fine under UEFI or BIOS, but won't boot up if I install a XEN hypervisor, which appears to be related to device enumeration -basically the same issue I'm seeing with a UEFI boot of NetBSD.

I can install both systems in a dual-boot setup using traditional disk partitioning and a Legacy/BIOS boot, but the BIOS FW on my system doesn't configure the video port so that the system's boot code can use it. Therefore both systems' boot code end up taking the default boot option and eventually come up. This makes it impossible for me to select alternate boot options though, so it's not a viable solution.

UEFI booting requires GPT partitioning, but it's possible (at least with NetBSD) to install a system on GPT partitions that can be booted via Legacy/BIOS. This solves the problem of getting the video configured so the boot code can use it, so it's a solution for at least NetBSD. I haven't tried to install LM 19 on a GPT partition in a way that uses Legacy/BIOS boot code which I think would solve the problem of XEN boot for me, but that's where I'm headed.
richard-g8jvm
Level 4
Level 4

Post by richard-g8jvm »

Hi all
I'm definitily going up to Stoke in the morning with it.
The intergrated graphics work when they feel like it, I've been using it all afternoon remotely using it, compiling is very fast, slowed down by the ssh link a bit.
But to get the HDMI to connect the TV locally is a pig, it feels like 90% of the time there is no response to the HDMI port being connected to something, and more by luck when it works. Thats what I call intermittant. not bleeding edge, just bleeding useless.
It does the same with the SSD disconnected, so no-one can try and blame the OS.
richard-g8jvm
Level 4
Level 4

Re: [SOLVED] LM19 install failure UEFI

Post by richard-g8jvm »

Hi
My problem was caused by a MSI MOBO which was not fully HDMI complient.
It works perfectly well with new monitors , but was not backward compatible with earlier HDMI standards,
I upgraded the mother board to an ASUS ROG STRIX B450 -1.

No problems now , comes straight up from power up with the same TV connected via HDMI
Bayvista170
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Bayvista170 »

I downloaded the LM19 Iso to a USB and tried to install to my HDD. All went well until the end, "Grub installation failed" msg. It promised to let me send a message to the developer, but didn't. What next??
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Bayvista170 wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:15 pm What next??
Start your own thread.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

Return to “Installation & Boot”