Mint 19 - No information (logs) during boot

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Redsandro
Level 4
Level 4

Mint 19 - No information (logs) during boot

Post by Redsandro »

This release, while booting very fast when it works, seems to be very sensitive to things that break the boot process. I have had to restore a timeshift recovery point a dozen or so times already.

And it's important to point out that this happens for the silliest of things, like my laptop running out of battery and shutting down. It won't boot anymore, until I do some sort of recovery.

The most frustrating about this is that there is absolutely no textual feedback about what in part of the boot process the machine hangs. When you see the bootlogo, you can press an arrow key or escape and normally you would see the good old boot logs streaming to your screen. This is, or rather was, by design. You see a nice clean boot logo, but you can switch to text in case of trouble or curiosity.

What good is it that the 'text screen' remains black when we switch to it? If the machine hangs, I have to reboot by ctrl+alt+del or if that doesn't work press-hold the power button. Then I have to boot in "recovery mode" and choose "boot normal" just to see the text logs and gauge where something goes wrong.

Is there a configuration option where I can have this text show during boot again when I press an arrow key?
Where* can I submit an official issue report for suggesting this should not be hidden?
Does anyone else experience this boot failure "sensitivity"?
Where* can I submit an official issue about that?

*) I have browsed github, but apart from the cinnamon repository, I'm having a hard time figuring out where to discuss boot related issues.

Most often it seems that LightDM just doesn't want to start anymore, for no obvious reason. If I restore a timeshift point and then install updates again, it just works. But it's starting to get boring to do this again and again.

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
🤘 Amp.lol. No bloat, just radio.
Ninite-killer. 1000+ packages.
Redsandro
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Mint 19 - No information (logs) during boot

Post by Redsandro »

It happened again today. Forgot battery cable was unplugged. Laptop shut down. No more boot.

Steps to make bootable to GUI again:
  • Boot using Live USB
  • Set display resolution to half (Live USB fails to detect High DPI screen)
  • Open Terminal
  • sudo mount /dev/nvme0n1p5 /mnt
  • sudo mv /mnt/etc/resolv.conf{,_}
  • sudo cp /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/etc/
  • for i in /sys /proc /run /dev /dev/pts; do sudo mount --bind "$i" "/mnt$i"; done
  • sudo chroot /mnt
  • apt update
  • apt upgrade
  • exit
  • sudo rm /mnt/etc/resolv.conf
  • sudo mv /mnt/etc/resolv.conf{_,}
  • sudo sync
  • sudo reboot now
Of course, use your own root drive in place of nvme0n1p5.
🤘 Amp.lol. No bloat, just radio.
Ninite-killer. 1000+ packages.

Return to “Installation & Boot”