Low disk space

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TyphooNN
Level 1
Level 1

Low disk space

Post by TyphooNN »

I tried to upgrade my mint to mint 19.
When I trying to install it by uefi boot after minut on the installation it says I got no space in my pc (got 1TB HDD ).
After the warrning it stucks forever and I have to restart my pc.
Tried installing the cinnamon/mate still no changes.
screenshot:
http://i66.tinypic.com/290yc5e.jpg
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gm10

Re: Low disk space

Post by gm10 »

I'm not sure what generates that error message, this seems more like an error the live USB might say when it's virtual file system in RAM is full. Maybe it's got to do with the live USB automatically using an existing swap partition on the disk you're about to wipe, so when it gets unmounted you run out of memory (is this a computer with low RAM?).

Since you want to wipe everything, anyway, maybe try to wipe the partition table with GParted (it's available on the live USB) before starting the installation.
TyphooNN
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TyphooNN »

I have 8G ram on my pc
TyphooNN
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TyphooNN »

gm10 wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:57 am I'm not sure what generates that error message, this seems more like an error the live USB might say when it's virtual file system in RAM is full. Maybe it's got to do with the live USB automatically using an existing swap partition on the disk you're about to wipe, so when it gets unmounted you run out of memory (is this a computer with low RAM?).

Since you want to wipe everything, anyway, maybe try to wipe the partition table with GParted (it's available on the live USB) before starting the installation.
did as you said still no changes http://i66.tinypic.com/sl7ajd.jpg
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

are you sure that you are installing to the correct drive ?
- as that last pic is showing the details for a 34Gb drive ?.
so, what drives are available, when you choose where to install ?
:?
can you post a pic of what drives ?.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

TyphooNN wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:37 am
gm10 wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:57 am I'm not sure what generates that error message, this seems more like an error the live USB might say when it's virtual file system in RAM is full. Maybe it's got to do with the live USB automatically using an existing swap partition on the disk you're about to wipe, so when it gets unmounted you run out of memory (is this a computer with low RAM?).

did as you said still no changes http://i66.tinypic.com/sl7ajd.jpg
What I had suggested was to use GParted to wipe the partition table of your HDD. Your screenshot is of Disk Usage Analyzer showing the compressed read-only filesystem (squashfs) of the live USB, and I believe that one may have been modified even?
TyphooNN
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TyphooNN »

I even have no time to change somthing its imidiatlly make the error and stuck whenever it is.
http://i66.tinypic.com/2re379h.jpg
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

TyphooNN wrote:.
gm10 wrote:.
According to OP's previous thread ... viewtopic.php?f=46&t=274062 , the original LM 18.3 system was installed using disk encryption and/or LVM. This is likely the reason for the 'low disk space' message and installation problem of LM 19 over-writing LM 18.3.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

michael louwe wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:08 pm According to OP's previous thread ... viewtopic.php?f=46&t=274062 , the original LM 18.3 system was installed using disk encryption and/or LVM. This is likely the reason for the 'low disk space' message and installation problem of LM 19 over-writing LM 18.3.
My suggestion remains the same, use GParted to wipe the partition table. If you want to suggest something else, please do so.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ TyphooNN, .......
TyphooNN wrote:.
According to ... viewtopic.php?t=271922 , seems LM 19 is giving this particular "low disk space" problem installing on Asus computers in UEFI mode = stick with LM 18.3 or try installing LM 19 in Legacy BIOS/MBR mode.

Or the hard-drive is failing.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Or the USB stick wasn't written correctly or indeed modified, as I was wondering above. Can always try to flash it again and/or try it in a different port.

PS: I'm on an ASUS in EFI mode, so if there is a real problem with that it doesn't affect all of their models (but they killed my touchpad in one UEFI update so I wouldn't put it past them).
TyphooNN
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TyphooNN »

Another port?
what do you mean?
Tried to install so many times and still no change, now I installed 18.3 back with no problems.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Another port? would mean another Usb Port to plug that usb stick into. ..

how did you get that LM18.3 to install again ? did you use encryption again ?.
as you should be able to get LM19 installed . .

if you still can't install LM19,, then that's no real issue, as LM18x is valid for a few more years, yet.
8)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
TyphooNN
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TyphooNN »

Just tried to install the new version of ubuntu, seems like I have the same problem its freezes during the installation.
Can use only mint 18.3 yet, gonna stay with this but this problem make me crazy!!

Return to “Installation & Boot”